cough, spit, gag, splutter, retch, cough, spit..

Wafflydirtycatl

Guest
... lots of flies about on this afternoon's cycle round the lanes of deepest rural Norfolk. Quite a
few less by the time I'd been out on my bike for an hour.

Cough, choke, gaga, retch, spit, picking of teeth ...

YUK!!!

The little ones sort of go down without much of a bother, but every now and again, I'd have to do a
large involuntary swallow of something large, winged and six-legged.

RETCH.

Then, marshalling during tonight's CC Breckland 10 mile TT, I was *The Place To Be* as far as the
insect world was concerned. I was stood in my yellow fluorescent top and fluorescent orange
marshall's top and I was covered in little flying black beetles and surrounded in a swarm of them.

YUK!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

On 24 Jun 2003 22:19:56 GMT, [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:

>... lots of flies about on this afternoon's cycle round the lanes of deepest rural Norfolk. Quite a
>few less by the time I'd been out on my bike for an hour.
>
>Cough, choke, gaga, retch, spit, picking of teeth ...
>
>YUK!!!
>
>The little ones sort of go down without much of a bother, but every now and again, I'd have to do a
>large involuntary swallow of something large, winged and six-legged.
>
>RETCH.
>
>Then, marshalling during tonight's CC Breckland 10 mile TT, I was *The Place To Be* as far as the
>insect world was concerned. I was stood in my yellow fluorescent top and fluorescent orange
>marshall's top and I was covered in little flying black beetles and surrounded in a swarm of them.
>
>YUK!

It can be quite nice down on the Grand Union canal. Nice 25 mile trip into the centre of 'Smokey',
but boy, sure do get plenty of midges. Have water, have sunshine, will have midges. Mind you last
time of was down there, it wasn't the plethora of midges that got me - while cycling along the
canal, I suddenly felt and heard a buzzing sound inside my jaw. When this happens, one yearns for
'spitting-reactions' measured in nanoseconds not, 'wtf is this'....and seconds later. Anyway, 30
mins later had a face blown up like a baloon and a jaw that felt like lead!!!

Garry

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:

> ... lots of flies about on this afternoon's cycle round the lanes of deepest rural Norfolk. Quite
> a few less by the time I'd been out on my bike for an hour.

In keeping with the warnings thread, didn't you see the itty-bitty warning signs on each one "not to
be taken internally"

> Cough, choke, gaga, retch, spit, picking of teeth ...
>
> YUK!!!
>
> The little ones sort of go down without much of a bother, but every now and again, I'd have to do
> a large involuntary swallow of something large, winged and six-legged.
>
> RETCH.
>
> Then, marshalling during tonight's CC Breckland 10 mile TT, I was *The Place To Be* as far as the
> insect world was concerned. I was stood in my yellow fluorescent top and fluorescent orange
> marshall's top and I was covered in little flying black beetles and surrounded in a swarm of them.

Bees tend to like clothes that flouresce, something about insects seeing more of the UV
spectrum than we do. Its *very* disconcerting to suddenly find lots 'n lots of bees take a
liking to your jersey.

> YUK!
chomp chomp chomp..
> Cheers, helen s
Adrian

Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ... lots of flies about on this afternoon's cycle round the lanes of deepest rural Norfolk. Quite
> a few less by the time I'd been out on my bike for an hour. Cough, choke, gaga, retch, spit,
> picking of teeth ... YUK!!!
>
> The little ones sort of go down without much of a bother, but every now and again, I'd have to do
> a large involuntary swallow of something large, winged and six-legged. RETCH. Then, marshalling
> during tonight's CC Breckland 10 mile TT, I was *The Place To Be* as far as the insect world was
> concerned. I was stood in my yellow fluorescent top and fluorescent orange marshall's top and I
> was covered in little flying black beetles and surrounded in a swarm of them. YUK! Cheers, helen s

At least you didn`t get dive bombed by a huge buzzard which is what happened to me!! The blighter
had about 5 or 6 goes at my head, just skimming over the top. I can laugh about it now, but I was
quite scared at the time. Doubt it had a nest nearby or something. Either that or I must look like a
rabbit????

Maureen

And on the subject of bees, don't go eating bananas around them because they contain a chemical that
bee's reliase that makes them sting.

Gadget

>Doubt it had a nest nearby or something. Either that or I must look like a rabbit????

Well if you will cycle whilst wearing a bunny girl outfit, what can you expect ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

[email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Then, marshalling during tonight's CC Breckland 10 mile TT, I was *The Place To Be* as far as the
> insect world was concerned. I was stood in my yellow fluorescent top and fluorescent orange
> marshall's top and I was covered in little flying black beetles and surrounded in a swarm of them.

Strangest marshalling experience ever; seeing a pigeon plummet, stone dead [1], from a lamp post
whilst I was stood on a roundabout just off the A1 (complete with fetching day-glo orange vest).

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

[1] Insert John Cleese quotes here ;-)

"Maureen" <maureendotdoigatbtinternetdotcom> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Either that or I must look like a rabbit????

Novelty crash helmet with the floppy ears on, maybe? Having said that, I've a sneaking feeling that
you can actually get lids like these in children's sizes! Doubt if they make adult ones, though (but
you never know....).

David E. Belcher wrote:
> Novelty crash helmet with the floppy ears on, maybe? Having said that, I've a sneaking feeling
> that you can actually get lids like these in children's sizes! Doubt if they make adult ones,
> though (but you never know....).

A couple of times I've seen motorcyclists wearing helmets with cat ears on top and cat tails on the
back. I suspect they're probably sold somewhere to stick on - I'm sure they could be stuck to a
cycle helmet instead.

Thomas Paine

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:
( Acouple of times I've seen motorcyclists wearing helmets with cat ears ) on top and cat tails on
the back. I suspect they're probably sold ( somewhere to stick on - I'm sure they could be
stuck to a cycle helmet ) instead.

That cannot be good for the helmet, can it; nor the neck in a spill?

On 26 Jun 2003 08:32:57 -0700, [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

>Strangest marshalling experience ever; seeing a pigeon plummet, stone dead [1], from a lamp post
>whilst I was stood on a roundabout just off the A1 (complete with fetching day-glo orange vest).

Was it really a pigeon with a day-glo vest or an overfed Robin?

G.harman

I mentioned:
> ( Acouple of times I've seen motorcyclists wearing helmets with cat ears ) on top and cat tails
> on the back. I suspect they're probably sold ( somewhere to stick on - I'm sure they could be
> stuck to a cycle helmet ) instead.

prompting Geraint Jones to respond:
> That cannot be good for the helmet, can it; nor the neck in a spill?

Helmet manufacturers certainly don't like people using adhesives on their products. Whether it would
harm the helmet would really depend on the adhesive, but I'd be inclined to play it safe and not
stick anything on.

As for the neck, they're only soft fluffy tails, not likely to be any more harmful than my ponytail.
The only danger I can see would be if the stick-on tail got caught on something, and then it'd
probably get yanked off straight away anyway.

Thomas Paine