Could a Brit win the TDF 2007?

Kevin@Sportingo

Jun 4, 2007
A recent article on a site I use/read just stated that Bradley Wiggins can win the TDF 2007. Not such a crazy statement actually, British cycling is probably at its best ever right now. I'd love to see your thoughts on this. As a Brit living in France it would be sweet to watch it!

You can read the full article here

No, can wiggins stick with Vino, Evans, Valverde, Sastre in the mountains. Sure he can TT but thats not good enough.

This is how i think it will pan out.

Yellow: 1st - Vinokourov / 2nd - Evans / 3rd - Valverde

Green: McEwen

Ploka: Rassie or one of the boyz from Disco

White: honestly - no idea, only person i could think of would be Andy Schleck, but he won't ride the tour this year, maybe in a couple years time.

Frigo's Luggage said:
No. Sorry. This is just wishful thinking like Hincapie last year. I'd love to be wrong about Wiggins. But I'm not.
No, I meant what orientation you are doesn't matter, but how strong a rider you are. I got to explain my posts better.:p

He is strong, but I have not heard of him before (I'm a newb, but I've heard of at least a few others who are still racing and not kicked out from drug use), so I'm going to say he won't. :)

I would like to see a brit win, though. Or an African. Heck, somebody besides a non UK European (not including the last 8 years, that is).

What about a Canadian? Now THAT will happen when Hell freezes over, or rather when Canada isn't cold in the winter.

Kevin@Sportingo said:
A recent article on a site I use/read just stated that Bradley Wiggins can win the TDF 2007. Not such a crazy statement actually, British cycling is probably at its best ever right now. I'd love to see your thoughts on this. As a Brit living in France it would be sweet to watch it!

No way on God's living earth can that happen. Even Bradley Wiggins himself wouldn't be so optimistic. He is in the same category as Boardman, to win the Prologue would be a great achievement, but more than that? Not in a stage race with mountains, no. David Millar is a better (British) all round road rider anyway.

Not in 2007. Millar or Wiggins have a great chance to take the prologue (would that light up London or what?!), or get into a break and take a stage at some point. But, they don't climb well enough to contend for a podium spot.

It'd be cool to see a Brit on the podium some day!:)

Good old Brad might just get lucky one day and sneak a 3 Days of DePanne, but winning a 3 week GT is just a fantasy

If you dream hard enough and drink absinthe you can perhaps imagine a brit winning.

NickInNC said:
If you dream hard enough and drink absinthe you can perhaps imagine a brit winning.
Not even. You would need Laudnum as well. Absynthe and Laudnum, the favourite Byronic Friday night 'off your face' recipe. But, I'm pretty sure that even with that, you couldn't see a brit winning.

Particularly since most of them seem to eschew drugging. Jeez, lacking ability, and burdened by morality. No chance.

Kevin@Sportingo said:

Almost...fourth is good

janiejones said:
Almost...fourth is good
Fourth is great, but that's one stage. Not the Tour as a whole. Both Wiggins and Millar could take a flat stage (more likely Millar since I think Saunier Duval is a slightly better team). But when Bradley and Millar get into the hills, their tour is really over. It's a tremendous achievment just to get through those stages, within the time cut offs, at all. And the riders, even at 150th, have my admiration for doing it.

But the OP mentioned winning the Tour and it's a long, long way from that being a possiblity. We were closer to the money with Tom Simpson and Robert Miller in the past. But a long way away from it just right now.

Personally I cheer for Millar. I think he was about 58th or something last year. But I felt proud of him and I just wish the cameras had followed him a bit more to let us seem his race. But, they're French cameras, so no chance of that. It's the greatest race, and our guys have my support whether they are 5th, or 50th.

maria007 said:
Nah I can't see it happening! Brits are useless and over rated. E.g. David Beckham
I always enjoy reading a well reasoned and intelligent post. Your's wasn't one of them though.

KellyT said:
I always enjoy reading a well reasoned and intelligent post. Your's wasn't one of them though.
It's ok. The 007 in his username tells more than his post :)