Could a Shaft drive be possibly better than a Chain?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Russ Reynolds, Apr 12, 2007.

1. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub, and a fully enclosed chain. The British addressed the maintenance and weather related problems of drive trains years ago. Bike enthusiasts seldom complain about the upkeep of their 30 speed "Baby", it's the occasional rider/commuter who usually does. For these riders 3 speeds are more than enough. Keep the shaft and by a British roadster off Ebay.

2. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

At least it was his fingers. I shudder to think what might happen if he stopped to take a leak. :eek:

3. vascdoc

vascdoc New Member

Actually I thought about that as well but I had an even harder time think how that could happen as well! Perhaps if one were that well hung ....

4. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

============================================================
    As a motorcyclist(but much more a bicyclist!) I've only had 2 shaft drive bikes(sport touring bikes) and hated them both! They would indeed rise up under acceleration cornering which would be disconcerting for some time until I got used to it. It's much better handling wise if the back of the bike squats down under acceleration in faster cornering - which chain bikes do.
    Apparently guys who used to race Moto Guzzis in the 70s and 80s used to use the dynamics of the shaft drive to help them pass other riders in races - but I can't think how!
    Anyway - a shaft drive bicycle is never going to be putting out that much power or going that fast in a corner...so it doesn't matter:)