Could this bike be built?

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Y'all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]A good buddy here referred me to a women's biking blog that had a thread on building the perfect bike for women like me -- who want it pretty, with chain guards to protect my clothing, step-through frames, easy upright riding position, internal gear hub, etc., PLUS want to be able to take it a little further and maybe go up an occasional hill on tours. One of the bloggers suggested the following in response as the perfect solution.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #b22222][SIZE= medium]Start with a lightweight mixte frame. Put a five speed hub with internal brake on the back. Mate that to a compact triple crank, with a cruising ring in the middle position, a bailout for the inner and a ring guard on the outer. Sidepull brake on the front wheel. CR18 rims with either 28mm or 32mm tires (to taste). Dove bars (the Nitto ones, not the chocolate/ice cream ones. They have more than one hand position). These will be mounted as risers for city riding, flipped to drops for fast riding and flipped and pointed FORWARD for really riding on the rivet. A pop top stem will make all that fairly quick and painless, if less elegant than a traditional quill.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]A lot of what this says is still Greek to me, not knowing anything about triple cranks or cruising rings or bailouts, etc. My question is, does this sound hard/difficult/impossible/expensive to do? Would that really accomplish 'the impossible' in providing what I've been after, a pretty bike that is also utilitarian and easy to mess with/take care of? Is something missing? [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Heck, if this would work, I'd pay to have it made -- within reason, of course. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for your thoughts! [/COLOR]

Now... where could I put the pedals.... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif
1acarriagegfairy009.jpg

[COLOR= #0000ff]Do you think I'd get laughed out of the tour if I showed up on a bike like this? (Ignore the birthday part, please.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 10pt]
tl-polka_dot_bicycle_card.jpg
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

To answer your original question: Sure. Velo Orange or Rivendell could build you one of these with one of their frames. (I priced a VO Mixte for you earlier, I think it was $1400, and was actually very close in components to the one in the blog, now that I think of it.) Or you could buy a used Mixte frame on eBay or elsewhere and buy the components; or you could buy a whole Mixte-framed bike and change what you wanted to change (i.e. the internal hub). Yes, I believe it would accomplish what you're after. BUT, to be honest, I wouldn't guarantee that you would be any happier in the long run than you would be with some of the pre-made bikes that you've been looking at, provided that both bikes fit you to your liking. If you went with a new frame/new components, of course you'd have a new bike just as you would with a pre-made. Going with used for frame, etc would of course save considerable money. This sounds like a fun project to me (he writes from the opposite side of the country).
Steve

Reactions: SierraSlim
Steve, if I was Mr. Slim, I would hate you right about now.

Sierra, your blogger knows what she is talking about but I don't think that you would like the aestheics or the actual ride. After seeing the bikes that you have been looking at, I don't think that you would be happy with a mixte frame. They are sort of a bad comprimise between the traditional diamond frame (men's bike) and the full step through frame (ladie's bike). It replaces the top tube with twin lateral tubes that run from the head tube all the way back to the rear axle, and I think that they are rather ugly frames. Also, take it from someone who has done it several times over, you will be better off buying a complete bike rather than buying a separate frame and components and building up your own. You can save a bundle on the price of goods on eBay but most of the items have shipping charges and that really adds up to the point where your cobbled together bike costs nearly as much as a new one. Keep looking at new bikes or gently used bikes no older than the mid-1980s and you will find one that you like.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Steve and KD,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I love how you each make me look at both sides of the issue! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Steve has my back in terms of encouraging creatitivity and new adventures, and is always willing to help me oh-my-God tiptoe beyond anything I've ever even CONSIDERED doing before in my personal comfort zone, assuring me that it would all come out okay.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]KD has my Dear HUBBY'S back, and it cracks me up! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif And when I make myself quit drooling over incredibly beautiful custom-made bikes that would probably cost me both a fortune AND a husband, lol, I think KD's probably right. It would be fun, yes -- someday in the future when both Frugal Hubby and I know a little more about bikes -- to build something wickedly gorgeous together. (With his frugality, it would probably still cost me the marriage, LOL.) But for now, and especially when I'm barely capable of staying ON the bike I'm learning to ride on, something fairly pretty but pre-made will do, without making me tooooooo sad. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif Heck, truth be told, almost ANY brand-new bike that I buy will have me so excited I can't stand it, as long as it's not just plain ugly (in which case I wouldn't buy it, anyway). [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Right now I am seriously considering the Cannondale Adventure 2 women's bike. It has about everything I want: 8-speed internal gear hub for Practical Hubby, flat-bar handlebars for Broken-Back Sierra (which maybe can be changed out for a mustache bar later??), suspension seatpost, 700 x 38 tires with 36-spoke rims, step-through design, eyelets for fenders and a rack, AND it's on sale, since it's a 2010, for $670, which is within the budget Frugal Hubby specified, without even making me dip into my private stash. (I can be frugal too, lol.) I even love the white and green coloring. (So if anyone knows any reason why this would be a bad bike for me, speak now or forever hold your piece.) That's my bike du jour, anyway, though they change frequently. But it's the only one I've seen that has ALL of that in one bike, for a price range we're both okay with. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I guess what I'm blathering on about is that I probably won't custom-design my first non-cruiser bike.... sigh.... but it never hurts to dream. And I can always get it painted in polka dots if I get bored with it later, ROFL!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for helping me see in both directions, you two. It helps to be able to be a little far-sighted when your heart is set on gazing at the stars. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

kd, Yeah you're probably right about Mr. Slim, that's pretty funny. And I think I agree with your other comments in general about a new bike. If I was doing this locally, I feel confident that I could build something nice, within budget, that would not look cobbled together. But in general you're right.

Sierra, The Cannondale bike sounds good, and is probably right for you. Since it's a Cannondale, you should be able to ride one locally. Have you done that? Is the sale local or over the web? After all of you shopping and looking, I'm sure that $670 sounds pretty good right now. Take care, Steve

[COLOR= #0000ff]Steve, [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The sale is at REI, and there's one here in town. So even if they don't have the bike in stock, they can order it for me and will let me test ride it -- supposedly without any pressure to buy, though I haven't tried that part yet, lol. I know that it's not the most high-end, hip thing going right now, but that's okay -- neither am I, so we might be a good fit! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif The one thing I forgot to check was whether it comes in a 19".... most women's don't, so I might be back to square one, dang it. But either way, at least I found something with my main requirements, so there's bound to be another one out there somewhere. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I just need to develop some patience while I find it, /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra [/COLOR]

Originally Posted by SierraSlim .

[COLOR= #0000ff]Steve, [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The sale is at REI, and there's one here in town. So even if they don't have the bike in stock, they can order it for me and will let me test ride it -- supposedly without any pressure to buy, though I haven't tried that part yet, lol. I know that it's not the most high-end, hip thing going right now, but that's okay -- neither am I, so we might be a good fit! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif The one thing I forgot to check was whether it comes in a 19".... most women's don't, so I might be back to square one, dang it. But either way, at least I found something with my main requirements, so there's bound to be another one out there somewhere. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I just need to develop some patience while I find it, /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra [/COLOR]
I work at an REI Bike Shop and they will not pressure you to buy it, there's no reason to. The only trouble you may have is if the bike you are looking for is discontinued or last years model, then it may get scarce. They should be able to find it even if it is in stock at another REI store anywhere in the country. It will not cost any shipping if it is in their distribution center but if they do a mail-out from another store it will cost you shipping. And, if you buy it and later it does not work out for you; just bring it back and get a refund or exchange, no other bike shop will do that.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, VJB![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for joining in!! The fact that you work at an REI shop is really cool, since it means I can trust that you know what you're talking about. So I will go try that bike, if they can get it for me. And to know you can return a bike later and they will refund/exchange it is AWESOME. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks a lot![/COLOR]

Quote: Originally Posted by SierraSlim

[COLOR= #0000ff]A good buddy here referred me to a women's biking blog that had a thread on building the perfect bike for women like me -- who want it pretty, with chain guards to protect my clothing, step-through frames, easy upright riding position, internal gear hub, etc., PLUS want to be able to take it a little further and maybe go up an occasional hill on tours. One of the bloggers suggested the following in response as the perfect solution.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= medium][FONT= 'times new roman']Start with a lightweight mixte frame. Put a five speed hub with internal brake on the back. Mate that to a compact triple crank, with a cruising ring in the middle position, a bailout for the inner and a ring guard on the outer. Sidepull brake on the front wheel. CR18 rims with either 28mm or 32mm tires (to taste). Dove bars (the Nitto ones, not the chocolate/ice cream ones. They have more than one hand position). These will be mounted as risers for city riding, flipped to drops for fast riding and flipped and pointed FORWARD for really riding on the rivet. A pop top stem will make all that fairly quick and painless, if less elegant than a traditional quill.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[COLOR= #0000ff]A lot of what this says is still Greek to me, not knowing anything about triple cranks or cruising rings or bailouts, etc. My question is, does this sound hard/difficult/impossible/expensive to do? Would that really accomplish 'the impossible' in providing what I've been after, a pretty bike that is also utilitarian and easy to mess with/take care of? Is something missing? [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]Heck, if this would work, I'd pay to have it made -- within reason, of course. [/COLOR]

FWIW. Although it is an odd combination, it would not be difficult to configure a bike with a TRIPLE crankset + an internally geared rear hub.

However, I'm not sure about the recommendation for either a MIXTE frameset or the DOVE bars ... not that there is anything wrong with a MIXTE frame, per se ...

However, as far as those Dove handlebars, for the time being, simply invert your current handlebars.

FYI. Your ELECTRA HAWAII can be modified in the manner suggested ... as a DIY project ...

To modify your current bike, you simply need to buy:

• an Ashtabula-to-English BB adapter (www.danscomp.com & other vendors)
  • an English threaded BB which matches the ROAD crankset (52/39/30) of your choice
  • a SHIMANO front derailleur (Sora, or better)
  • the shifter which matches the front derailleur AND chain you choose (I recommend 9-speed Shimano "stuff" since it will be the most readily available)

I recommend you opt for a "standard" BROOKS B17 or a BROOKS B67 saddle ... they are the preferred saddle of long distance tourists. By my reckoning, people who don't like them (and, they are legion) either did not lower the seatpost to account for the greater rail-to-top-of-the-saddle-distance or they have the nose of the saddle pointed upward & masochistically into their groin.

In addition to a new chain, you'll either need a rear derailleur (choose a reverse-pull rear derailleur) or chain tensioner.

BTW. You should be able to fit 700c wheels in your current frame & fork if-and-after you remove the fenders. BUT, if you haven't already done so, just change the tires on your current bike to some "slicks" (26x2.1), particularly if you opt for a ROAD crankset whose largest chainring has either 52t or 53t..

Figure $150-to-$300 depending on how wise a shopper you are.

Rather than the Nitto DOVE handlebars ... in the long run, you'll probably want DROP handlebars ...

You NEVER need to use the drops, but they will be there if-and-when you do -- if you choose the WIDEST set of Drop bars that you can find (i.e., 44cm to 46cm) then you can simply place your hands on the cross bar + you'll have the alternate hand positions which the drop bars allow.

Other than two intermediate ratios, I'm not sure if the difference between a 5-speed internal hub and a 3-speed internal hub will be truly meaningful to you ... instead, you can swap the single cog for TWO cogs (which is one reason to choose a reverse-pull Shimano rear derailleur rather than a chain tensioner) and thereby have 6 gears in the rear with as wide a ratio as you might want to have ...

But, rather than the expense of a 5-speed hub (if you were to reconfigure your current bike), I recommend you simply opt for a rear derailleur on the frame + a multi-cog cassette hub which you could also use on a different frame at some future point of time ...

If you choose the components you might retrofit onto your Electra with an eye to possible future use on another frame, then you can extend the use and net cost (i.e., value) of those components.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Alfeng![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]That would be a GREAT post -- if I knew what the heck you were talking about most of the time, lol. Mind you, that's my shortcomings, not your explanation, which I'm sure would be relatively simple to the average guy who knows anything about a bike. The bad thing is, that's not me. The good thing is, I know some! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of converting my beach cruiser. She is my first bike, kind of like a first love, and I was crushed to know she wasn't good for touring. If I could keep how pretty she is and make her road-worthy too, that would be the trifecta. At the same time as I say that, I'm worried about 'messing her up,' so would definitely have to find a good bike mechanic to do it all for me. Her name is Freedom... and I'm already thinking of what I'll name my next bike, lol. I am sooooo hooked. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]That being said, if/when I get to do the conversion, that won't happen until after our upcoming trip to Maui (wahoooo!!) and our subsequent move to Phoenix (yuck). So it will be 4 or 5 months before I probably even get to consider it. But that's okay, because I can keep learning great stuff from guys like you on here in the meantime![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks a LOT for the suggestion! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]