Could this saddle be the answer for sore bums?

bianchi10

Oct 28, 2009
Here is a detailed review of the Cobb V-Flow PLUS saddle. In all my research I found almost 90% (or so) of the reviews were positive. I only remember 3 people stating that they returned it because they didn't like it. I couldn't find any good pictures of this saddle to see the different shape that this offered.

I had been researching saddles for a good month now and came accross the Cobb saddles from John Cobb. (Cobbcycling.com) The reason I was in search of a new saddle was because the Selle italia max flite that I had once liked became my worst enemy. I am not a heavy guy, 5'10" 180lbs. I ride aggressive but am not a pro by any means, I use chamois creme with good shorts. The Selle itlalia gave me sores (LITERALLY) in the crease of my crotch and thigh and hurt my sit bones like you wouldnt believe.

Let me start off by saying...I KNOW WHAT WORKS FOR ME MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU. I KNOW EVERYONE IS SHAPED DIFFERENTLY AND ONE SADDLE CANNOT BE THE ANSWER FOR EVERYONE. I just wanted to clarify that as I get tired of reading that in every post towards saddles.

"In high performance road bikes or triathlon bikes, there is a large difference in the seating positions compared to a more recreational type of bicycle. In the case of a triathlon bike, the rider is rotated much more forward, riding on a completely different part of the Pelvis area." "-John cobb"

The cobb v flow saddles come in 3 different shapes.
-V Flow
: Has least amount of padding out of the 3 and is 40mm at the nose and 130mm at the tail and 275mm long weighing in at 296 grams $129.99 (free shipping) best fit for the rider who doesn't like much padding with a flat top to support the sit bones.
-V Flow Plus
:Has the most anount of padding but is the lightest weighing in at 275 grams with a 38mm nose and the same 130mm tail and 280mm long. 149.99 (free shipping). This saddle would be more fit for the road cyclist looking for distance and comfort with the performance still in mind.
-V Flow Max
:is the widest saddle with a 55mm nose still using the same 130mm tail and 260mm long weighing in at 296 grams. $169.99 (free shipping) This is very similar to the adamo which John cobb helped design. This saddle would be more fit for the Time Trial rider.

Before buying I had some questions, so I called the office and see what they had to say. after asking my questions she put me on hold......Mr. John Cobb himself picks up the phone and spent 10+ minutes tlaking to me about my goals and problems. His only request was that if I chose to return the saddle that I keep the tools, meassuring tape and dvd to help me set up the saddles I found to fit me better in the future. THATS GOOD BUSINEES in my book! An owner who's thoughts arent to turn a buck but to see people really enjoy cycling whether using his product or not.

I purchased the V Flow PLUS because I was looking for a saddle that would give me good support along with some padding that would help give my bum that luxurious comfort. Lets face it, the more comfortable you are the longer you can ride. As you can see in the pictures below, this saddle definitely has it's own shape. In fact if you are like me, you may not like the way it looks at all. I care VERY much about what my bike along with what I look like when I'm on the road, call me vein I dont care. After riding for 8 months in pain I will gladly trade in looks for comfort now.

When you buy the saddle this is what you have to look forward to:
-6 MONTH COMFORT GUARANTEE!!!! this means you can ride this saddle for 6 months and if you are not happy with it up after 180 days, return it for a FULL refund. what do you have to lose right?!
-Tool kit for those who may not have the proper tools
-Measuring tape to tape proper measurments and get you to a first step in setting up your saddle.
-A dvd which shows you step by step how to do it if you dont like to look over directions.

I installed my saddle and checked my measurments in 10 minutes. toop it out for a spin and right away felt I neded to make some changes. I set it up flat at first (parallel to my top bar) as a stepping stone to see where to adjust it next. I felt some pain in my crotch so I tilted the nose up a couple Millameters and took it back out. felt much better and relieved some pressure on my hands. I then felt like I was up to close so I slid the saddle back 3mm. Back out again and still felt like the nose was up enough so I came back in. after adjusting it I looked at it and thought, "THERES NO WAY that can be right!" but it just 1mm up from where I had it last so I figured I would give it a shot. BOOM pure comfort!!!!! Took some getting used to with the nose up that high but it felt good. I was concerned about going from a 143mm tail width to a 130mm but it felt fine as my sit bones sat right where they needed to. The saddle felt firm but the specail memory foan used in the padding felt very luxurious. almost like sitting in a honda civic and then going and driving your parents BMW M5.
I went for a mild 50 miles on a new saddle which can usually be a death wish with a new saddle but came back home with no numbness, no sores or irritation and my butt didnt feel like I had been sitting on a seat for any amount of time at all. Not bad for a new saddle that isn't broken in yet. Hopefully it will get even more comfortable but if it doesn't so what, I have 6 MONTHS!!!

Again, in my reseach priopr to buying this I couldn't find any descent pictures so I wanted to help others of you out there who may consider this saddle by giving you several different views before pulling out your credit card.

DSC_1491.jpg

Flat tail which doesnt seem like it would give much support, but like in on of the pictures below, it craddles your body in the center which allows your sit bones to sit right where they need to.
DSC_1488.jpg

DSC_1473.jpg

The nose is almost all padding yet stiff which allows you to get in a more aerodynamic position whithout putting to much pressure on your man parts
DSC_1476.jpg

DSC_1477.jpg

DSC_1478.jpg

DSC_1480.jpg

DSC_1484.jpg

DSC_1485.jpg

You can see in this photo how the center of the saddle almost dips to craddle your body
DSC_1486.jpg

Well, it certainly looks good on your bike! It looks like it was made for it. Your bike still looks awesome too, by the way. Those new tires really look good on it.

Without actually using one of those saddles I couldn't comment on how they work and I would agree that the nose of the saddle looks pretty high. But, if that works for you...then it works for you.

It'll be interesting to see what you think of the saddle after you've used it for a couple of months. Keep us posted...

just got back on another test ride, pretty short but it allowed me to adjust a couple more things. The saddle ended up feeling a little high, not sure if it was just mental or not but I felt like I was loosing power in my stroke. raised the seat and lowered the nose. Felt better on the way back.

replaced new picture of whole bike with the last adjustment so the saddle doesnt look as high

I have gone on 2 more rides since posting this. After several adjustments, I think I have it set in the sweet spot. so far it feels great, as I'm told it is supposed to only get more comfortable. I had always heard of people saying that their saddle disappeared underneath them but I never knew what they meant until recently. I gotta say that the first 5-10 mintues it isn't so comfy, it's almost like it needs to warm up to my body temp and then I can nuzzle into it. maybe that's because it isn't broken in yet?

Its a a nice change to get back from a ride and not feel like my butt is bleeding! :D

Finding the right saddle is always a solid step on the path toward Nirvana. Of course there's no predicting, really, what saddle is going to work. After a while most riders--ok, maybe only some--find that a certain saddle profile--flat, curved--works better for them and that a certain width might be best, but after that it's mostly a **** shoot until you find the perfect one.

It's pretty safe to assume that you can throw all the marketing **** and ad speak in the garbage. For every rider whose cycling life revolves around a saddle with a cut out, there's another that gets on perfectly without a hole in the saddle. For every cyclist that prays at the alter of a saddle guaranteed to make crotch arteries course with fresh blood, there's another two or three that can't envision life without an Arione or an SSM Regal.

You just gots to try 'em and keep tryin' 'em until you find the one that greases your grollies. My peaches happen to love resting on an SSM Regal/e.

saddles are the one thing that really frustrated me when getting into cycling because in the end of all the research and questions there are no answers. I wanted a bike set up that would allow me to get envolved with cycling and enjoy it form the get go. I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions, sometimes asking the same questions over again just worded differently. Still after being told there are no answers I felt dissatisfied and that there had to be answers that would at least put me in the right direction. Even now I find it frustrating that there is no way of telling what will work for you and what may end up being your worst saddle purchase ever.

now I know...it's all part of the joy we call cycling. :)

Nice write up. I have 2 specialized toupes that i really want to love. But damn.....I keep going back to my specialized avatar. She's my go-to girl.... Always takes care of me and the boys below!