Could use some help deciding between two bikes.

Alpha742

Mar 18, 2012
Hey everyone!

I've been riding bicycles for the majority of my life, but never really got too serious with it. By that I mean I'd buy $150-$200 terrible bikes without really knowing any better and burn them out in a couple years and just buy a new one. That was all fine and good as I was only a young high school kid with a budget that was to be expected of someone of that age. However, now that I am a bit older (graduating college as a mechanical engineer) with a solid job lined up with a good amount of money coming in from tax returns/graduation presents/signing bonuses, I decided to step up to the (bigger) leagues. This comes coupled with the fact that my former sporting interest, mixed martial arts, was taking a toll on my body that I no longer wished to pay. I was really looking for a new sport that gave huge fitness benefits while at the same time gave me the adrenaline rush that martial arts provided.

With that thought in mind I began to do some research into the type of bike I wanted. I wanted something that could be fairly fast on roads (faster than a mountain bike) so that I could at least keep up with a few of my friends who ride road bikes. This will also allow me to use the bike for some good transportation (if I wake up one morning and its just a great day outside, I would love nothing more than to ride my bike to work, about 6.5 miles each way). This originally brought me to road bikes; however, I soon realized that they really wouldn't do so well on mountain trails, which is where I hoped to experience most of the more adventurous aspects of cycling. I really don't have any intention of going over massive jumps, climbing super grueling mud hills, or anything like that. I can definitely see myself getting a bit of air time after hitting a small bump on a dirt path, plowing through a small stream, and so forth, though. So I definitely wanted something a bit more durable than a road bike and possibly even a hybrid, but faster and more road worthy than a straight up mountain bike. This brought me to the cyclocross category.

I've seen quite a few videos now of people handling exactly the same off road terrain that I will be experiencing but still hitting very respectable speeds on road. This is precisely what I was looking for and I spent a few days now doing some research and talking to other cyclists about quality brands, parts, etc. I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to two bikes. Usually by this point I can make a decision fairly easily... However, I really am struggling to choose. The two choices are the Kona Jake and the Jamis Nova Race.

I've heard people rave about both of them; obviously the Kona has made a huge name for itself in the cyclocross world and I personally know someone who owned the (older model) Jamis and has said it was his favorite bike to use off road (now races roadies only). I was looking at the 2012 models and both have some things I really like that the other doesn't have.

For example, the Kona has better gearing/drive train, tires, and has more sizing options to enable a better fit. The Jamis has disc brakes, is slightly lighter, and has a carbon composite front fork. I realize I can always change parts out, but I want to avoid that as much as possible in the beginning. Both are essentially the same price varying only really by the dealer (about $1100 or so). I will definitely take both for a test ride before buying, but I'd like to have some idea of what I want before doing so.

So can anyone possibly offer any advice between the two? Or if you don't like either, possibly suggest another option? I would really appreciate the help if anyone can provide it! Thanks!

Kona Jake
http://www.konaworld.com/cx.cfm?content=jake

Jamis Nova Race
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/nova/12_novarace.html

FWIW. If you are NOT racing BUT plan to be riding through wet-and/or-muddy conditions, then between the two I would choose the JAMIS ...

• if you decide that the disc brakes are dead weight ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., if you want to race the bike[/COLOR]) then you can probably fit some long reach brake calipers ([COLOR= #808080]you might need a set of TEKTRO 60mm-73mm calipers[/COLOR]) on the frame & fork by enlarging the nut side of the "fender" mounting holes

BTW. I'm not sure why you think that the KONA has more available frame sizes ... they are just slighly different ...

• how tall are you?

On the seemingly trivial level ([COLOR= #808080]BUT, it affects how the bike feels ...[/COLOR]), I'm not keen on the shape of the drop of either handlebar ... less so the currently popular shallow drop of the Kona's handlebar ... for me, the Jamis's handlebar would need to be reoriented so that Drops would be closer to horizontal & the levers re-oriented, accordingly.

• handlebar shape preference is subjective, so my lack of preference for either style is just a caveat that you need to be aware that your eventual preference may not be that found on either bike ([COLOR= #808080]or, any other bike you may test[/COLOR]), too
  • so you may need to try to exclude how the bars feel -- AND, how the shop sets the bars up -- when you take your test rides

Alfeng, thank you for your reply!

I don't necessarily plan on doing formal races, but wouldn't be against trying it once or twice just to see how it feels and how I perform. It never hurts to know where you stand, you know?

Anyway, I am about 5'7" - 5'7.5" and about 150 lbs... So I am a pretty small guy. I read a few articles that said that the Kona offers a few more sizes than some other bikes, I apologize if I was mistaken.

Handlebars are something I guess I will have to wait until I ride them in person. I imagine that even though something might look good in pictures, that actual feel could be entirely different. I may need to have them reworked completely, as you mentioned.

If you have any other alternative bikes, I'd love to hear them too. I'm a total newb at higher end bikes and its all a bit overwhelming... Any advice or pointers in the right direction are very welcome.

Thank you again for your reply, it means a lot to this future cyclist!

FYI. With a Road frame, you would probably want the frame whose ([COLOR= #ff8c00]virtual[/COLOR]) top tube is ~[COLOR= #ff0000]53cm [/COLOR]long ...

But, with CX bikes,[COLOR= #ff0000] [/COLOR][COLOR= #008000]one size smaller[/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000] [/COLOR]is common due to the more-often-than-not higher BB ...

So, I recommend you limit your choice to bikes whose frame sizes fall within the range of those two top tube sizes.

INCH/MM SIZE
CENTER of BB to TOP of TT
EFFECTIVE TT LENGTH
HT ANGLE
ST ANGLE
CHAINSTAY
WHEELBASE
FORK RAKE
BB HEIGHT
HEADTUBE
STANDOVER
[COLOR= #008000]48[/COLOR]
17.56/446
20.27/[COLOR= #008000]515[/COLOR]
71Ëš
74.58 Ëš
16.73/425
39.33/999
1.89/48
10.86/276
3.94/100
29.45/748
[COLOR= #ff0000]51[/COLOR]
18.74/476
20.86/[COLOR= #ff0000]530[/COLOR]
71.5Ëš
74 Ëš
16.73/425
39.41/1001
1.89/48
10.86/276
4.52/115
30.31/770
19.92/506
21.45/545
72Ëš
73 Ëš
16.73/425
39.45/1002
1.89/48
10.86/276
5.12/130
31.22/793
20.71/526
22.05/560
72.5Ëš
73 Ëš
16.73/425
39.88/1013
1.89/48
10.86/276
5.71/145
31.93/811
21.49/546
22.64/575
72.5Ëš
72.5 Ëš
16.73/425
40.31/1024
1.89/48
10.86/276
6.30/160
32.60/828
22.71/577
23.42/595
73Ëš
72 Ëš
16.73/425
40.67/1033
1.89/48
10.86/276
7.28/185
33.66/855

I was in the same situation as you, buying and using up cheap bikes. Finally I decided to buy something decent. I can't speak to the two bikes you're considering, other than both companies have very good reps and that I have a Kona Blast mtn bike I enjoy. Good for you for determining that a cyclocross bike will be the best bike for what you want to do.

I focused on craigslist, this is where you'll find the best buy for your dollar. I also wanted essentially a "beefy road bike" for all weather riding in Seattle winters; this led me to cyclocross bikes. I picked up a 2007 Felt F1X in barely used condition and have been using it for the sloppier weather; outfitted with Schwalbe Marathon Supremes it does great even in heavy rain. I've used mine on good trail, light mud etc and it has done fine. Cyclocross bikes can also be used for light touring.

As you ride more, you may find yourself wanting a bike that's quicker and even more fun to ride on road. You'll then want a road bike. My 2004 Cannondale R800 barely had more miles on it than the Felt when I found it on craigslist; it's super fun to ride. I like the versatility of having a road, cyclocross, and mtn bike for different conditions/time of year. For $100 added a solid older Bianchi set up for single speed just for kicks.

As you have undoubtedly figured out, fit is by far the most important criteria.

Stay away from hybrids. IME, these tend to combine the worst of road/mtn bike worlds.

Recommend going with Shimano 105 components at the minimum. Tires will make a big difference in keeping up with your road friends; I use 28c Supremes since most of my riding will be on road. Disc brakes are nice but by no means essential, cantis are fine for off-road; even mini-V brakes will work if most of your riding will be on road (the Felt had a horrible brake shudder problem--that happens with some canti/fork combinations--so I had the front canti swapped out for mini-V brakes; $20, problem solved).

Together both bikes cost $1500--what you would pay new for one good bike with 105. Buying used you'll put in more bucks to have the right fit (handlebars, stem) and better saddle, pedals, tires. But you might be doing that anyway with a new bike. Do your research when you find one you like and craigslist can be a great option, esp. if you live near a decent urban area. Alternatively, supporting your local shop is great too--especially if they have excellent after sale support.

One shout out for Felt: the 2007 F1X had a defective fork from the manufacturer. Even though I was not the original owner and it was two years later, Felt still honored the warranty and replaced the fork. Very cool.