Could use some suggestions on clips for my road bike

mark174ace

May 8, 2012
Hello everyone, So I purchased my first road bike four weeks ago and I love it. It did not take me very long to realize that I want to get shoes and clips to make the ride even easier (especially going uphill). After looking at what is out there for clips I am pretty darn confused. The one thing I do know is that I am going to buy mtb shoes because I like how they are recessed. Here are my questions. With money being little to no object what clips would you recommend for my bike? If you are only willing to spend about a 100 dollars what would you recommend? If it matters at all my bike is a 2012 Trek 2.1 Apex.

Reactions: nikeshoxsko
Clips would be the name for the basket like thingy you screw onto the pedal to position a strap that can be tightened to secure your foot to the pedal. While still available, what most people (by far) use these days are pedals and shoes with cleats instead. As clips don't really need bicycle-specific shoes I assume you're talking about a SPD-style shoe retention system.

What to get differs greatly. As you've already determined, MTB-style offers the advantage of the possibility to walk reasonably normally at the cost of maybe getting the force concentrated on a smaller portion of the foot. Although that has never troubled me.

For low cost, I'd go with Wellgo. I've had both their shoes and their pedals. They broke eventually, but not before providing their money's worth.

My current favourites are Crank Brothers. Their Egg Beater model can feel a bit unstable at first due to the small support surface, but that's easy to adapt to. And there are other versions that offers a bit of a platform should you want one.
While usually not that important on a road bike, the CB mechanism is close to impossible to jam up, which is a nice feature for snow/mud riding.

Time pedals are real similar to CB in terms of the mechanism.

Nothing inherently wrong with Shimano either. Big S, being the dominant on the market, will give you the best chance of being able to just get on a random bike for a test ride.

And while I do appreciate riding with SPDs, don't expect the ride to get much easier, that's not really what it's about.
Shoe retention mainly means that you can pull a little on the upwards bound leg so that more of the power from the downward leg goes towards pushing the bike forward as opposed to lifting the rear leg. W/o shoe retention, you'd need to keep some weight on to prevent your foot from slipping off.

Sure, you can use that pull to add some forward motion too. But the ergonomics of that pull is so much worse than the power you can get from pushing down that the effect is quite marginal.

Thanks for replying. Cleats is what I meant and not clips. I am still learning all the lingo.

Before going with road pedals, I used My old Sidi MTB shoes with some Shimano A520 pedals and the Shimano SPD cleats. They rode very nicely, I did a couple Cat5 races with them. If anything it was the shoes that weren't stiff enough but walking around wasn't bad, but even with the recess I wouldn't recommend it on nice wooden floors. I once had to trek a half mile on pavement and would have been SOL with my current SPD-SL's.

I put the Crank Brothers pedals on 2 of my bicycles and would recommend them. The Eggbeater gets the most use, the other was the Candy 3 but that bike sits a lot. The premium cleat is side to side adjustable and works better for me.