Could you bike 400 miles?

webbhost

Oct 17, 2006
Hi,

Haven't posted on here for a long while, but I thought I'd come back and say Hello.

Now to the point.. A few of you may remember a thread I made last year stating that I want to train up to cycle the width of britain (wales shore to great yarmouth over 4 days).

Now I kind of figure that althrough doing this alone is a great idea, the amount of money I could raise from sponsorships etc would probably not be significant to the effort and organisation that goes into it. Thus I think well wait a minute, why dont I set up a website, and try and get more people doing it?

If more people did this with me, Shops and companies would be more likely to take notice and give out larger sponsors etc, and it would be well worth the effort.

So anyway, I am posting this because i want to see how many people out there think they could and would do this for a good cause, and for some fun and exploring.

Let me know your opinions etc. This is no definate event yet, but every event has to start with research :)

Where's the option for those of us who aren't loaded and can't pay for plane tickets to britain just to go for a bike ride?

I have to agree with Julian G. I would love to participate and would jump at the chance if it didn't cost so much to fly to Britain, especially with a bicycle as luggage. My maternal grandfather was Welsh and I have distant relatives in Wales so it would be a great personal trip for me. Maybe you could make it an annual event and I could particpate several years from now:).

Yeah, easy. Did the PBP in August, 1200 km (740 miles), didn't even feel tired. In fact didn't feel much of anything for quite a few days. :D

" Maybe you could make it an annual event and I could particpate several years from now"

Did cross my head.

I did a survey on another forum too, theres about 20 people so far said they'd be interest, seemed to generate a considerable amount of interest.

XSmoker how have you been doing?
I've not been biking too much lately cause of weather like, but made a resolution to join gym in new year and pound it out on their bikes.

If all goes well, I'll be getting a £2000 bike this coming april / March too (Strictly for training only... not for work).

I'll see if I can go next year without getting chased by a man with a knife ... Lmao (Xsmoker do you have MSN Messenger?)

threaded said:
Yeah, easy. Did the PBP in August, 1200 km (740 miles), didn't even feel tired. In fact didn't feel much of anything for quite a few days. :D
So you wanna say that 1 mile is ~1.621 km, don't you? (pardon my poor maths)

That's four centuries in a row. I've done centuries before but I don't think I can string four of them in a row (over four days). That would be a forced march of sorts for me personally. Make it five or even six days. :eek:

Gus Riley said:
That's four centuries in a row. I've done centuries before but I don't think I can string four of them in a row (over four days). That would be a forced march of sorts for me personally. Make it five or even six days. :eek:
If you can do one century comfortably then you can do four in a row at a little slower pace. Your legs may feel dead starting out but that passes after a half hour or so. At least that is my experience; unless you really bury yourself one day, a warm up does wonders.

webbhost said:
Hi,

Haven't posted on here for a long while, but I thought I'd come back and say Hello.

Now to the point.. A few of you may remember a thread I made last year stating that I want to train up to cycle the width of britain (wales shore to great yarmouth over 4 days).

Now I kind of figure that althrough doing this alone is a great idea, the amount of money I could raise from sponsorships etc would probably not be significant to the effort and organisation that goes into it. Thus I think well wait a minute, why dont I set up a website, and try and get more people doing it?

If more people did this with me, Shops and companies would be more likely to take notice and give out larger sponsors etc, and it would be well worth the effort.

So anyway, I am posting this because i want to see how many people out there think they could and would do this for a good cause, and for some fun and exploring.

Let me know your opinions etc. This is no definate event yet, but every event has to start with research :)
It can be done in 2 days:D

www.ultracycling.com/training/training.html

Ride hard , Musher