Councillors' cycle race? ;)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. As Tony W doesn't like the planned Top Gear cagers race, perhaps there should be a *bicycle* race
    between the political parties? I know there is at least one other councillor who posts to this group
    and is a keen cyclist; although I haven't found anyone from Tony "B"'s party here yet....

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As Tony W doesn't like the planned Top Gear cagers race, perhaps there should be a *bicycle* race
    > between the political parties? I know there is
    at
    > least one other councillor who posts to this group and is a keen cyclist; although I haven't found
    > anyone from Tony "B"'s party here yet....
    >
    > Alex

    Good one. What sort of bikes would each MP use?

    Clair Short would need a bike with a very tight turning circle. No idea what sort John Prescott
    would use but he'd have two of them. Gordon Brown would exercise prudence and get one for £79.99 and
    then realise later that he's under spent and would pay a consultancy £5000000 to find him a better
    model. Tony Blair won't be able to decide so would form a discussion group.

  3. "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Good one. What sort of bikes would each MP use?
    >
    > Clair Short would need a bike with a very tight turning circle. No idea what sort John Prescott
    > would use but he'd have two of them.

    Does anyone make a model called a Jaguar? If not, a Cougar would be the next best thing!

    > Gordon Brown would exercise prudence and get one for £79.99 and then realise later that he's under
    > spent and would pay a consultancy £5000000 to find him a better model. Tony Blair won't be able to
    > decide so would form a discussion group.

    Presumably Alistair Campbell would go for one with very low gearing, to improve "spinning"
    technique?

    And as for the Tories, presumably IDS would opt for a hub-gear machine with cartridge bearings
    throughout, seeing as he's styled himself as the "Quiet Man"? Though in accordance with Paul
    Merton's running joke on HIGNFY, it'd have to be a tandem to accommodate both Ian *and* Duncan ;-)

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  4. "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Good one. What sort of bikes would each MP use?

    Forgot to mention Ian Paisley - no doubt he'd be riding something from the Orange range? ;-)

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  5. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Smudger wrote:
    > "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> As Tony W doesn't like the planned Top Gear cagers race, perhaps there should be a *bicycle* race
    >> between the political parties? I know there is at least one other councillor who posts to this
    >> group and is a keen cyclist; although I haven't found anyone from Tony "B"'s party here yet....
    >>
    >> Alex
    >>

    > Good one. What sort of bikes would each MP use?
    >
    > Clair Short would need a bike with a very tight turning circle. No idea what sort John Prescott
    > would use but he'd have two of them. Gordon Brown would exercise prudence and get one for £79.99
    > and then realise later that he's under spent and would pay a consultancy £5000000 to find him a
    > better model. Tony Blair won't be able to decide so would form a discussion group.

    Tony Blair would be on a tandem with George W at the front.
    --
    Mark

  6. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 18:28:05 +0000 (UTC), the Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tony Blair would be on a tandem with George W at the front.
    > --

    But the tandem would probably be a Hase Pino so that George could keep a good eye on Tony to make
    sure he's doing as he's told...

    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  7. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Ian Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...

    > But the tandem would probably be a Hase Pino so that George could keep a good eye on Tony to make
    > sure he's doing as he's told...

    Wouldn't it be more appropriate for GW to ride a Dutch style bike with TB trotting along behind
    on his lead?

  8. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Ian Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > But the tandem would probably be a Hase Pino so that George could keep a good eye on Tony to
    > > make sure he's doing as he's told...
    >
    > Wouldn't it be more appropriate for GW to ride a Dutch style bike with TB trotting along behind on
    > his lead?

    And when they stop GW could park his bike in Tony's ar*e.

  9. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Forgot to mention Ian Paisley - no doubt he'd be riding something from the Orange range? ;-)

    I think he'd be carrying his bike rather than riding it. When asked why he would shout, "I'm holding
    a Raleigh!"

    --
    Dave...

  10. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Thinking about Jeremy Clarkson's presentation style, wouldn't it be splendid to somehow persuade him
    that he has been wrong all these years (some sore of hypnosis or assault with a metal bar may be
    needed), and turn him loose on the "cycling farcilities" shown in the thread started by Danny?

    I can just see him interviewing the planners(sic) concerned, removing barriers with JCBs, perhaps
    installing barriers in the middle of busy roads to make cars do zig-zags...

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As Tony W doesn't like the planned Top Gear cagers race, perhaps there should be a *bicycle* race
    > between the political parties? I know there is
    at
    > least one other councillor who posts to this group and is a keen cyclist; although I haven't found
    > anyone from Tony "B"'s party here yet....
    >
    > Alex

  11. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Thinking about Jeremy Clarkson's presentation style, wouldn't it be splendid to somehow persuade him
    that he has been wrong all these years (some sore of hypnosis or assault with a metal bar may be
    needed), and turn him loose on the "cycling farcilities" shown in the thread started by Danny?

    I can just see him interviewing the planners(sic) concerned, removing barriers with JCBs, perhaps
    installing barriers in the middle of busy roads to make cars do zig-zags...

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As Tony W doesn't like the planned Top Gear cagers race, perhaps there should be a *bicycle* race
    > between the political parties? I know there is
    at
    > least one other councillor who posts to this group and is a keen cyclist; although I haven't found
    > anyone from Tony "B"'s party here yet....
    >
    > Alex

  12. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:08:21 +0000 (UTC), al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thinking about Jeremy Clarkson's presentation style, wouldn't it be splendid to somehow persuade
    > him that he has been wrong all these years (some sore of hypnosis or assault with a metal bar may
    > be needed), and turn him loose on the "cycling farcilities" shown in the thread started by Danny?
    >
    > I can just see him interviewing the planners(sic) concerned, removing barriers with JCBs, perhaps
    > installing barriers in the middle of busy roads to make cars do zig-zags...

    Great idea. Shame Adam Hart-Davis isn't a bit more bolshy, being perhaps TV's best-known cyclist...

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  13. "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> top-posted: ( ... perhaps installing barriers
    in the middle of busy roads ) to make cars do zig-zags...

    We've got those too.

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Ian Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...

    > Great idea. Shame Adam Hart-Davis isn't a bit more bolshy, being perhaps TV's best-known
    > cyclist...

    1. There was a rumour that Clackson has been seen trying to reduce the overhang in the belly area
    by riding a b*ke.

    2. Paxo would be even more aggressive!!

    3. It is, of course, well known that Linda Snell is a keen cyclist (though whether we would wish
    this to be commonly known is moot).

  15. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:48:42 +0100 someone who may be Colin Blackburn <[email protected]>
    wrote this:-

    >> Forgot to mention Ian Paisley - no doubt he'd be riding something from the Orange range? ;-)
    >
    >With an Air Zound, then again maybe not.

    He would have an electronic model. When he pressed the button the device would emit the word "NO",
    loudly and often.

    To add variety the device would occasionally add words like "surrender" and "popery" to the "NO".

  16. On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 01:15:46 +0100, contributor Smudger had scribed:
    > No idea what sort John Prescott would use but he'd have two of them.

    JP rides a Raleigh Jaguar, a photograph of him riding it with a load of other Hull/ER based cyclists
    appeared in the "Cycle" publication or its predecessor "Cycle Touring and Campaigning" a year or
    three back.

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

  17. On 3 Apr 2003 02:25:00 -0800, contributor David E. Belcher had scribed:
    > Does anyone make a model called a Jaguar? If not, a Cougar would be the next best thing!

    Yes, made by Raleigh and he (JP) does own one.

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

  18. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Gary Knighton <[email protected]> writes
    >On 3 Apr 2003 02:25:00 -0800, contributor David E. Belcher had scribed:
    >> Does anyone make a model called a Jaguar? If not, a Cougar would be the next best thing!
    >>

    >Yes, made by Raleigh and he (JP) does own one.
    So that'll make him '3-Jags' then....
    --
    DP