Counting how many hours you have slept???

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
Any of you do that similar to counting how many hours you have trained in a week??? Because of my job, I can only get 6 hours of sleep the most the night before the weekend races. Although these races are not my priority "A" races but I would like to do well in them. Assuming this makes physiological sense, if I can acquired the "required" hours of sleep in a week prior to the weekend race, I should be able to race as if I have gotten enough sleep. I also commute, round trip (34 miles), 3 to 4 times a week.

My main issue with this season is my late night work schedule the night before my local weekend races. Most of the times these races would fall on Saturday morning. I would race in the morning (6:30am) and go to work before noon afterward. I wouldn't be home until 11pm that night. I always dread about days like that.

BlueJersey said:
Any of you do that similar to counting how many hours you have trained in a week??? Because of my job, I can only get 6 hours of sleep the most the night before the weekend races. Although these races are not my priority "A" races but I would like to do well in them. Assuming this makes physiological sense, if I can acquired the "required" hours of sleep in a week prior to the weekend race, I should be able to race as if I have gotten enough sleep. I also commute, round trip (34 miles), 3 to 4 times a week.

My main issue with this season is my late night work schedule the night before my local weekend races. Most of the times these races would fall on Saturday morning. I would race in the morning (6:30am) and go to work before noon afterward. I wouldn't be home until 11pm that night. I always dread about days like that.
Just as there is a nutrition window (30 mins after trainning) for optimising
assimilation there is a recovery window.The earlier one sleeps after a ride no matter ifshort duration.The recovery is faster.The amount of sleeping time
required increases exponentially if it is delayed after the end of the race etc.

As to the daily requirement well the book says 6 to 8hrs.

I usually push to wards the lower end because of my work schedule.And start easing off towards 8 or more hrs if any sore throat or dramatical drops in performance.

I work on shifts and I agree it is very dicey to manage sleep requirements.

But I have to remember it is this sleep that makes us stronger.

I am not very fast.But all above is gleaned from my studies.

Hope this helps

Happy cycling and there will be roads.

BlueJersey said:

Just as there is a nutrition window (30 mins after trainning) for optimising
assimilation there is a recovery window.The earlier one sleeps after a ride no matter ifshort duration.The recovery is faster.The amount of sleeping time
required increases exponentially if it is delayed after the end of the race etc.

As to the daily requirement well the book says 6 to 8hrs.

I usually push to wards the lower end because of my work schedule.And start easing off towards 8 or more hrs if any sore throat or dramatical drops in performance.