Country ham and mango sandwich

Nobody

Guest
I made a sandwich tonight, using the country ham I got a couple of weeks
ago. I cut a slice, cross-grain, of the ham, about the size of a piece of
bread, 1/4 inch thick. I ground on some black pepper, and fried it up
medium-rare in the skillet. Meanhwile, I put some mayonnaise and mustard on
a couple of slices of pumpernickel. I sliced up a ripe mango, and when the
ham was about right, made a sandwich of the bread, ham, mango, and a couple
of leafs of lettuce. It was great.

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 10:59:00p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nobody?

> I made a sandwich tonight, using the country ham I got a couple of weeks
> ago. I cut a slice, cross-grain, of the ham, about the size of a piece
> of bread, 1/4 inch thick. I ground on some black pepper, and fried it up
> medium-rare in the skillet. Meanhwile, I put some mayonnaise and mustard
> on a couple of slices of pumpernickel. I sliced up a ripe mango, and
> when the ham was about right, made a sandwich of the bread, ham, mango,
> and a couple of leafs of lettuce. It was great.

Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
sounds good.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
>sounds good.

There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
fudge?

serene

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 11:12:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
>>sounds good.

> There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
> together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
> fudge?
>
> serene

Well, yes, that's certainly true. But I can "see" the ham and mango
together, at least for me. Some other combinations, not so much. Ice cream
with a hot chili/chocolate sauce was good, but I probably wouldn't have it
again.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

serene wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
> >sounds good.

> There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
> together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
> fudge?
>
> serene

...reminds me of this article:
http://travel.guardian.co.uk/restaurants/story/0,13739,1463026,00.html
http://www.fatduck.co.uk/

serene wrote:

>> Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
>> sounds good.

> There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
> together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
> fudge?

You make a good point, but in this case I think the mango and ham go
together well. I routinely make an apricot-guava sauce to accompany country
ham at brunch, and pairing ham with mango isn't that far removed. However,
I don't think I'd like the ham-mango combination with pumpernickel and
lettuce, as the OP did. That's not meant as any kind of criticism; it's just
personal taste.

Bob

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 11:21:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

> serene wrote:
>> On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so
>> >it sounds good.

>> There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
>> together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
>> fudge?
>>
>> serene

> ..reminds me of this article:
> http://travel.guardian.co.uk/restaurants/story/0,13739,1463026,00.html
> http://www.fatduck.co.uk/

Many of those I wouldn't mind trying.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

I appreciate your comments. I normally like tomato on my ham sandwich, but I
ran out. The mango was available, so I gave it a try. Tomato and mango are
both soft, and at least somewhat sweet, so it seemed like a good risk. Plus,
I like sweet fruit with ham; next time I might try fresh pineapple instead
of mango.

I agree that the choice of bread is an issue. The pumpernickel kind of fell
apart while I tried to chew through the ham. I think next time I will try a
soft rye, or perhaps toast the bread to give it some cohesion. I think that
the caraway in the rye bread would work well here, also.

"Nobody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I made a sandwich tonight, using the country ham I got a couple of weeks
>ago. I cut a slice, cross-grain, of the ham, about the size of a piece of
>bread, 1/4 inch thick. I ground on some black pepper, and fried it up
>medium-rare in the skillet. Meanhwile, I put some mayonnaise and mustard on
>a couple of slices of pumpernickel. I sliced up a ripe mango, and when the
>ham was about right, made a sandwich of the bread, ham, mango, and a couple
>of leafs of lettuce. It was great.

serene wrote on 19 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so
> >it sounds good.

> There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
> together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
> fudge?
>
> serene

YUMMM Shrinp and hot fudge...But you need to honey glazed shrimp first....A
garlic honey glaze

--
-Alan

In article <[email protected]>,
"Nobody" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I made a sandwich tonight, using the country ham I got a couple of weeks
> ago. I cut a slice, cross-grain, of the ham, about the size of a piece of
> bread, 1/4 inch thick. I ground on some black pepper, and fried it up
> medium-rare in the skillet. Meanhwile, I put some mayonnaise and mustard on
> a couple of slices of pumpernickel. I sliced up a ripe mango, and when the
> ham was about right, made a sandwich of the bread, ham, mango, and a couple
> of leafs of lettuce. It was great.

Makes me wonder if Mango would be good on Pizza? ;-)

Pineapple is......
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson