Country ham and mango sandwich

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nobody, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    I made a sandwich tonight, using the country ham I got a couple of weeks
    ago. I cut a slice, cross-grain, of the ham, about the size of a piece of
    bread, 1/4 inch thick. I ground on some black pepper, and fried it up
    medium-rare in the skillet. Meanhwile, I put some mayonnaise and mustard on
    a couple of slices of pumpernickel. I sliced up a ripe mango, and when the
    ham was about right, made a sandwich of the bread, ham, mango, and a couple
    of leafs of lettuce. It was great.

    Tags:

  2. On Sat 18 Mar 2006 10:59:00p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nobody?

    > I made a sandwich tonight, using the country ham I got a couple of weeks
    > ago. I cut a slice, cross-grain, of the ham, about the size of a piece
    > of bread, 1/4 inch thick. I ground on some black pepper, and fried it up
    > medium-rare in the skillet. Meanhwile, I put some mayonnaise and mustard
    > on a couple of slices of pumpernickel. I sliced up a ripe mango, and
    > when the ham was about right, made a sandwich of the bread, ham, mango,
    > and a couple of leafs of lettuce. It was great.

    Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
    sounds good.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  3. serene

    serene Guest

    On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
    >sounds good.

    There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
    together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
    fudge?

    serene

  4. On Sat 18 Mar 2006 11:12:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

    > On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
    >>sounds good.

    > There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
    > together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
    > fudge?
    >
    > serene

    Well, yes, that's certainly true. But I can "see" the ham and mango
    together, at least for me. Some other combinations, not so much. Ice cream
    with a hot chili/chocolate sauce was good, but I probably wouldn't have it
    again.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  5. dee

    dee Guest

    serene wrote:
    > On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
    > >sounds good.

    > There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
    > together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
    > fudge?
    >
    > serene

    ...reminds me of this article:
    http://travel.guardian.co.uk/restaurants/story/0,13739,1463026,00.html
    http://www.fatduck.co.uk/

  6. serene wrote:

    >> Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so it
    >> sounds good.

    > There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
    > together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
    > fudge?

    You make a good point, but in this case I think the mango and ham go
    together well. I routinely make an apricot-guava sauce to accompany country
    ham at brunch, and pairing ham with mango isn't that far removed. However,
    I don't think I'd like the ham-mango combination with pumpernickel and
    lettuce, as the OP did. That's not meant as any kind of criticism; it's just
    personal taste.

    Bob

  7. On Sat 18 Mar 2006 11:21:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

    > serene wrote:
    >> On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    >> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so
    >> >it sounds good.

    >> There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
    >> together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
    >> fudge?
    >>
    >> serene

    > ..reminds me of this article:
    > http://travel.guardian.co.uk/restaurants/story/0,13739,1463026,00.html
    > http://www.fatduck.co.uk/

    Many of those I wouldn't mind trying.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  8. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    I appreciate your comments. I normally like tomato on my ham sandwich, but I
    ran out. The mango was available, so I gave it a try. Tomato and mango are
    both soft, and at least somewhat sweet, so it seemed like a good risk. Plus,
    I like sweet fruit with ham; next time I might try fresh pineapple instead
    of mango.

    I agree that the choice of bread is an issue. The pumpernickel kind of fell
    apart while I tried to chew through the ham. I think next time I will try a
    soft rye, or perhaps toast the bread to give it some cohesion. I think that
    the caraway in the rye bread would work well here, also.

    "Nobody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I made a sandwich tonight, using the country ham I got a couple of weeks
    >ago. I cut a slice, cross-grain, of the ham, about the size of a piece of
    >bread, 1/4 inch thick. I ground on some black pepper, and fried it up
    >medium-rare in the skillet. Meanhwile, I put some mayonnaise and mustard on
    >a couple of slices of pumpernickel. I sliced up a ripe mango, and when the
    >ham was about right, made a sandwich of the bread, ham, mango, and a couple
    >of leafs of lettuce. It was great.

  9. serene wrote on 19 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > On 19 Mar 2006 07:09:50 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hmm... Country ham and mango. Who'd have thunk it? I like both, so
    > >it sounds good.

    > There are lots of pairs of foods where I like one, but putting them
    > together doesn't sound good. Ice cream and mustard? Shrimp and hot
    > fudge?
    >
    > serene

    YUMMM Shrinp and hot fudge...But you need to honey glazed shrimp first....A
    garlic honey glaze

    --
    -Alan

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nobody" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I made a sandwich tonight, using the country ham I got a couple of weeks
    > ago. I cut a slice, cross-grain, of the ham, about the size of a piece of
    > bread, 1/4 inch thick. I ground on some black pepper, and fried it up
    > medium-rare in the skillet. Meanhwile, I put some mayonnaise and mustard on
    > a couple of slices of pumpernickel. I sliced up a ripe mango, and when the
    > ham was about right, made a sandwich of the bread, ham, mango, and a couple
    > of leafs of lettuce. It was great.

    Makes me wonder if Mango would be good on Pizza? ;-)

    Pineapple is......
    --
    Peace, Om.