Country Roads & DOGS

Kyler Laird <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> writes:

> >A woman walking next to me today had a hard time controlling her
> >big dog. The mutt obviously wanted to take a chunk out of me.

> How did you determine that?

> I'm trying to figure out if all of this fear of dogs stuff has any
> real foundation.

Even if the dog only wants to bark uncontrollably and menace
you, but not actually bite you, it's still annoying and an
imposition on your right to use the sidewalk (or street if riding)
in peace. And you don't have any real way of knowing if the
dog will follow through.

Uncontrolled dogs were my #1 nemesis as a paperboy. Years later,
I got bit by a dog while walking, passing a woman walking her dog.
There was no warning or provocation. I wasn't really hurt, because
the dog bit me through a pair of very heavy wool pants, but it was
not amusing and could have been pretty bad.

Too many people make excuses for their animals' behavior on the
grounds that they are animals and therefore it's "natural."

Judging from the lenght of this thread, there must not be a single biker out
there that hasn't been chased by a dog or two.

I once had a weanie dog that would come out of his garage (door always left
about 6 inches from closed) to chase me as I rode by. One day he he was so
determined to harrass me he failed to see the car passing between us and he
turned into a weiner burger. Problem Solved!!!

They should all be that easy.

Goat Roper wrote:

>Judging from the lenght of this thread, there must not be a single biker out
>there that hasn't been chased by a dog or two.
>
>I once had a weanie dog that would come out of his garage (door always left
>about 6 inches from closed) to chase me as I rode by. One day he he was so
>determined to harrass me he failed to see the car passing between us and he
>turned into a weiner burger. Problem Solved!!!
>
>They should all be that easy.

What a shame! Was the little dog a real problem to begin with?
Catching you was just his Walter Mittie fantasy, like that cartoon of
chickens dreaming they soar like eagles.
Dogs are okay, it's the insane straight truck drivers that give me the
shakes!
Bernie

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:54:26 -0700, Bernie
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Goat Roper wrote:
>>I once had a weanie dog that would come out of his garage (door always left
>>turned into a weiner burger. Problem Solved!!!
>>

>What a shame! Was the little dog a real problem to begin with?

That breed is a problem, whether or not it chases bicycles.

> Catching you was just his Walter Mittie fantasy, like that cartoon of
>chickens dreaming they soar like eagles.

They are more like retarded turkeys than chickens.

>Dogs are okay, it's the insane straight truck drivers that give me the
>shakes!

Today, while taking the lane on a rural two-lane, got buzzed pretty
close by a speeding tractor trailer.
--
Rick Onanian

> What a shame! Was the little dog a real problem to begin with?

I consider any dog that leaves his property to chase a biker a problem.
This particular dog would try to bite my feet as I peddled the bike by his
house. Most dogs will leave me alone after I give them a face full of
household ammoina, but this dog was too fast for that, and too persistant to
ignore.

> Catching you was just his Walter Mittie fantasy, like that cartoon of
> chickens dreaming they soar like eagles.

Catching me may have been a fantasy. I have a fantasy too! Mine is that
dog owners would obey the county leash laws.

> Dogs are okay, it's the insane straight truck drivers that give me the

shakes!

I'll agree with your concerns over insane truck drivers. The way these guys
treat bikers on the county roads in S/W Missouri will eventually leave one
or us laying on the road kinda line the afore mentioned weanie dog!!

Allen

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:08:18 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:54:26 -0700, Bernie
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>Goat Roper wrote:
>>>I once had a weanie dog that would come out of his garage (door always left
>>>turned into a weiner burger. Problem Solved!!!
>>>

>>What a shame! Was the little dog a real problem to begin with?

>That breed is a problem, whether or not it chases bicycles.
>
>> Catching you was just his Walter Mittie fantasy, like that cartoon of
>>chickens dreaming they soar like eagles.

>They are more like retarded turkeys than chickens.
>
>>Dogs are okay, it's the insane straight truck drivers that give me the
>>shakes!

>Today, while taking the lane on a rural two-lane, got buzzed pretty
>close by a speeding tractor trailer.

Bet he had a story already in planning:

He came out of nowhere...
Suddenly swerved in front of me...
I didn't see him...
;-D

[Actually, according to that expose about how they do those long runs with
no sleep, I worry that the guy is already asleep or in some amphet.-induced
stupor.]

-B

Goat Roper wrote:
>> What a shame! Was the little dog a real problem to begin with?

> I consider any dog that leaves his property to chase a biker a
> problem. This particular dog would try to bite my feet as I peddled
> the bike by his house. Most dogs will leave me alone after I give
> them a face full of household ammoina, but this dog was too fast for
> that, and too persistant to ignore.
>

>> Catching you was just his Walter Mittie fantasy, like that cartoon
>> of chickens dreaming they soar like eagles.

> Catching me may have been a fantasy. I have a fantasy too! Mine is
> that dog owners would obey the county leash laws.
>
>> Dogs are okay, it's the insane straight truck drivers that give me
>> the shakes!

> I'll agree with your concerns over insane truck drivers. The way
> these guys treat bikers on the county roads in S/W Missouri will
> eventually leave one or us laying on the road kinda line the afore
> mentioned weanie dog!!

Yeah, maybe they should just give you "a face full of household ammoina
(sic)" instead?

Bill "bike riding not mortal combat, unless you want it to be" S.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:35:43 GMT, "Goat Roper" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>as I peddled the bike by his house.

How much were you asking for it?

> Yeah, maybe they should just give you "a face full of household ammoina
> (sic)" instead?

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be the same unless I jump out of a ditch and try to
bite the driver ;-)))

"Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:35:43 GMT, "Goat Roper" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >as I peddled the bike by his house.

> How much were you asking for it?

I guess you would have to get the dog's point of view on that one. But
wait, he is road kill so I guess we'll never find out for sure unless you
are willing to accept my testimony ;-)

Raoul Duke wrote:

>"Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>>Dogs are okay, it's the insane straight truck drivers that give me the
>>shakes!
>>

>But the insane gay truck drivers are no problem?
>
>Dave

They're a problem if they are insane (road raging) gay truck drivers
driving straight trucks. (as apposed to semi drivers - articulated
lorrie operators to some in this group )

Semi trailer drivers seem to be high caliber professionals around here,
but I can't put the local 5 and 10 ton drivers in anywhere the same
catagory.

Goat Roper wrote:

>>What a shame! Was the little dog a real problem to begin with?
>>

>I consider any dog that leaves his property to chase a biker a problem.
>This particular dog would try to bite my feet as I peddled the bike by his
>house. Most dogs will leave me alone after I give them a face full of
>household ammoina, but this dog was too fast for that, and too persistant to
>ignore.
>

>> Catching you was just his Walter Mittie fantasy, like that cartoon of
>>chickens dreaming they soar like eagles.
>>

>Catching me may have been a fantasy. I have a fantasy too! Mine is that
>dog owners would obey the county leash laws.
>
>>Dogs are okay, it's the insane straight truck drivers that give me the
>>

>shakes!
>
>I'll agree with your concerns over insane truck drivers. The way these guys
>treat bikers on the county roads in S/W Missouri will eventually leave one
>or us laying on the road kinda line the afore mentioned weanie dog!!
>
>Allen

Okay, I was being flippant about the little dog. I really do understand
that even little dogs can be a hazard to a cyclist. Irresponsible
owners are of course the problem, the dog is just an undisciplined dog.

Those road raging truckers on the other hand will be homicidal maniacs
with the ability and desire to kill a cyclist. The irony is their
perception of being slowed down is nonsense. Being in a holding
pattern behind a bike til it is safe to pass usually just gets them to
the next red light as usual. What's the real point of their rage?

Bernie

Rick Onanian wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:54:26 -0700, Bernie
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Goat Roper wrote:
>>
>>>I once had a weanie dog that would come out of his garage (door always left
>>>turned into a weiner burger. Problem Solved!!!
>>>

>>What a shame! Was the little dog a real problem to begin with?
>>

>That breed is a problem, whether or not it chases bicycles.
>
>>Catching you was just his Walter Mittie fantasy, like that cartoon of
>>chickens dreaming they soar like eagles.
>>

>They are more like retarded turkeys than chickens.
>
>>Dogs are okay, it's the insane straight truck drivers that give me the
>>shakes!
>>

>Today, while taking the lane on a rural two-lane, got buzzed pretty
>close by a speeding tractor trailer.
>--
>Rick Onanian

Ya, I've had it happen too, even on the open road with room for the semi
to move over. I just hate it when all those huge fully exposed tires
pass by and so close! Messes up my confidence for a while for sure.
There's no way that driver realizes bikes need wobble room, or just
room to dodge the usual things like a hole in pavement, road debris, etc.

What I was talking about tho, was the ten ton truck drivers whose little
minds are blown because I am using the same roadway as them. I cost
them zip in terms of trip time lost, but I am small and they are big, so
why the f**k should I be in front of them?

Got passed very badly by the above mentioned idiot on Wednesday. Will
get his # if it happens again. Totally un called for.

Best, Bernie

wrote:
>I consider any dog that leaves his property to chase a biker a problem.
>This particular dog would try to bite my feet as I peddled the bike by his
>house.

I consider any person peddling by my house a problem, regardless of
what mode of transportation they choose.

Then, On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:30:16 GMT, "Goat Roper"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:35:43 GMT, "Goat Roper" <[email protected]>
>> >as I peddled the bike by his house.

>> How much were you asking for it?

>I guess you would have to get the dog's point of view on that one. But
>wait, he is road kill so I guess we'll never find out for sure unless you
>are willing to accept my testimony ;-)

You've missed the point entirely. What was your asking price for the
bike you were peddling by the house? Maybe the dog was trained to
attack peddlers/salesmen.

Try pedalling the bike past the house, instead of peddling it by the
house. That may produce better bicycle-riding results.

Yess, wee al no iit wuz uh speeling ore wurd choize errar, anned ay
commun wun hear two, butt wee kan't rezist halfing tat phun.
--
Rick Onanian

Of course you are correct, but I would certainly sell my bike if I could
get enough to buy a better bike. The flattened dog, on the other hand, lost
all material value in the instant that he was ambushed by the car's front
left tire.

Allen

I have a little experience with this and I have a method that has always worked for me. It is a little odd though and some people would rather be chased by dogs then to try this but here goes. Go down to the store and buy a really good water gun. Before you go out riding again fill it up with your own urine (take a pee into it). When the dog chases you, squirt him in the eyes and nose real good. 99 times out a hundred, the dog will never chase you again and will most likely run and hide from you. This is because dogs use urine to demonstrate dominance and are extremely sensitive to it's smell. The ammonia in human urine will burn the dogs eyes, but the sent of the person's urine will be programed into the dogs brain and it will instinctively fear that person and in some cases all people. This has never failed to work for me. But I have to warn you that even though it will not harm the dog (it is simply using it's natural instincts against it), there are few owners that will complain that their trained watch dog is no longer any good because it runs and hides from people now. Not that this has ever happened to me. Ha Ha Ha! (Evil laugh) It is also not a good idea to stop and innocently ask the owner of the dog why his watch dog runs and hides under the car when you ride by. LOL!

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on what not to do if chased by a dog, having been bitten 8 times over they past few years.

  1. Do not ignore an attacking dog.
  2. Don't try to outrun him unless you are sure you can do it.
  3. If trying to spray with water or noxious chemicals, make sure your aim is true, even when pedaling hard.
  4. If you kick and miss you may get bitten, or fall down, or both.
  5. If there are more than1 dog, don't pay so much attention to the one snarling and snapping that you don't see the quiet one sneaking up behind you. (same as #1)

Yelling sometimes works and is worth a try, you can always switch to a backup plan.

Getting of the bike and using it as a shield/weapon is probably the best, but be prepared for a long siege, some dogs don't give up easily. If the dog(s) aren't too close, bending down to pick up a rock (real or imaginary) often works wonders. If there is a nice stick handy, you can usually dispense with the bike as defense and go on the offense. Dogs recognize and (most) respect a good offense.

Originally Posted by jungleexplorer .

[...]
I just jump off my bike and grab the angry animal and carry them off to the front door of their owners house. By this time the dog is screaming angry and will tear the living shoot out of the first thing they can clamp thier mouth on. Please note I get bit quite often during the process. I kick open the front door and toss the dog in the house and leave.

[...]

I just thought about this and it hit me. Save the 99 cents for the squirt gun and really put the fear into the dog and jump off your bike and urinate right on it./img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif