Couple Health Questions

Fatrider

Dec 30, 2013
I am new to cycling and new to the forum and had a few questions about nutrition.

I have been cycling 5-6 days a week for 6 weeks now. I'm 38, 5'11" and was terribly out of shape before riding maxing at 245 pounds. In the past six weeks I have ramped up my ride to 18-20 miles a day at 13-14 mph average according to Strava. I've lost a total of about 20 pounds with my cycling and nutrition. My question is about feeling tired.

My muscles are fairly sore but bearable and feeling better all the time, the real problem is the drowsiness I am feeling. I have never been a person who took naps. I have honestly taken fewer than 30 naps my entire adult life, but now I feel genuinely sleepy every afternoon. Is my nutrition off or is it to be expected with the activity?

My Routine
Wake up have a glass of water and a bowl of Fiber One 80 calorie cereal with skim milk.
Drink some water and/or sports drink
Go for my ride (1-1.5 hours).
Return and have 2 ounces of beef jerky (I make my own very dry jerky)
Drink 32 ounces of water/sports drink
Typical lunch would be a sandwich or similar with several glasses of water or unsweet tea
I usually get very sleepy around 3 P.M.

I don't have any medical problems like blood high pressure or sugar/diabetes. I am generally healthy other than the fact my right foot was mostly cut off when I was 4, but that doesn't effect my riding or make me sleepy.

First of all, did you have a physical with your doctor prior to starting this regimen? Blood work etc.? You should have done this prior to starting the riding.

You seem to need more diversity in your diet. Fruits and vegetables for certain, some yogurt, lean meats etc. Raising the ratio of protein to carbs should help with muscle soreness. I do not drink commercial sports drinks on rides or any other time. I may drink some orange juice during rides, lots of potassium and vitamin c in O.J. of course. A banana post ride should help also, again high in potassium.

You need to nail down calorie output versus intake with your exercise and normal routine.

Feeling tired after exercising is not completely abnormal. Nothing wrong with 15-20 minute power naps either.

Some of what is going on is your are building your endurance through exercise. Your asking your body to do what it has not done in the past.