couple of questions...endurance/days off

blueduckxx

Nov 19, 2011
1. what's the best way to build up endurance? I've never honestly been too great at cardio, but I am definitely improving, I started cycling this August. It's discouraging [stupid to think this, I know] to see guys and girls glide on by me on hill climbs as I am struggling. I need to keep my mind from thinking I can be at their level when I am no where close yet. I am lighter in weight, [5'5', 113 lbs] so hill climbs might become my strong point sooner or later.
Most I've done in mileage in one cycling route is 33 miles.

2. what do you like to eat before rides? & after? for casual rides, hill climbs, and longer rides.
[also vegan tips would be good too, since I am afterall]

3. how many days do you take breaks? Since I am still early in my training, I dont want to over/under do my legs.

Thanks so much in advance everyone!
you dont have to answer all questions, any will be great.

Originally Posted by blueduckxx .

1. what's the best way to build up endurance? I've never honestly been too great at cardio, but I am definitely improving, I started cycling this August. It's discouraging [stupid to think this, I know] to see guys and girls glide on by me on hill climbs as I am struggling. I need to keep my mind from thinking I can be at their level when I am no where close yet. I am lighter in weight, [5'5', 113 lbs] so hill climbs might become my strong point sooner or later.
Most I've done in mileage in one cycling route is 33 miles.

2. what do you like to eat before rides? & after? for casual rides, hill climbs, and longer rides.
[also vegan tips would be good too, since I am afterall]

3. how many days do you take breaks? Since I am still early in my training, I dont want to over/under do my legs.

Thanks so much in advance everyone!
you dont have to answer all questions, any will be great.

Cycling isn't rocket science and if you stick to the basics you won't go too far wrong.

1. When you're starting off - ride a little further than last time at a pace that's either the same or a tad faster. Find a few routes that are fun - variety is the spice of life. Even if you don't ride further/faster it's still all good.

2. Food. ;) That's what I eat before rides.

Something high in carbs but don't neglect the protein... This works for before and after the ride. To be honest, if you're not going our smashing your brains in for a couple of hours AND you're also taking an "enery drink", like Hammer perpetuem out with you then I wouldn't be too overly concerned about wolfing down a bunch of calories specifically for after ride recovery purposes. If I'm riding to lose weight then I typically plan to finish my ride just prior to a regular meal. If it's been a really hard ride then I might supplement that with about 50g of carbohydrates (drink) immediately after the ride.

3. It all depends on what training you're doing and the other things going on in life but if you're starting out and you're always feeling fresh and have a desire to go ride, go ride.

If you do start feeling tired due to doing a bit too much out on the bike then I'd try and get an extra hour of sleep in each night and then think about dialing back on the duration or intensity of training.

Your light weight should help on the hills but at the end of the day those are all about power to weight. Really low body mass does come into its own on long steep hills.

thanks a ton! I am definitely not trying to lose weight, dont want that at all.

I always have bobs red mill 8 grain cereal, soy milk, blueberries, some dates, some dried apricots, 1/2 tsp chia/1/2 tsp raw cacao nibs, red star nutritional yeast, for prerides.

also, sometimes after a hard push up a hill I get super dizzy, the road starts morphing...I assume it's prebonk symptoms.

I dont do any carb liquids, which might be why I get weary on some rides [not always, but it does definitely happen]. I just use the Hammer fizz tabs for my water.

I eat powerbar gel's every half hour [sometimes with dried dates too], and every hour an Luna energy bar [always more fat in the bar after the 2 hour mark].

I know its not rocket science, I just want to make sure I am getting efficient calories and carbs in.
I've struggled in the past with carbs in general, so its a break from the mind telling me carbs are bad, when in fact they are 100% necessary in cycling.
also, going from the weight lifting mindset "MORE PROTEIN!!!!!!" it's an interesting switch, too. Since I've been dominantly in that mind set as well.

sorry if i'm rambling! any tips for training on a bike trainer? [just got the CycleOps fluid pro]

I'd recommend eating more carbs... Maybe get a meal supplement shake thats high in protein ( mine has 54g of protein per 4 scoops and 560 calories per 4 scoops ) have 1 before and after each ride, eat wholesome meals and whatever you feel is necesarry in-between.

I think you're feeling dizzy due to lack of base fitness which will come with high mileage and long hours on the bike try some 2 hours rides when you feel good, after a while start to build up to long hour easy tempo rides ( 4+ hours 3-4 times a week ).

You're incredibly light so when you do start to put in the big miles you can expect to drop the bigger riders on the climbs very easily and without much effort :).

33 miles is about 2 hours. Since a lot of people are passing you, there is no need for any food before, during, or after. Just eat what you need to eat to keep your weight where you want it.

There is no need to take days off when you are doing 33 miles/day. Especially if people are passing you.

Ride a lot. When you get tired, take a break. When you get hungry, eat. When you start passing more people than pass you, think about what you need to change to improve.

Appreciate the feedback, but everyone is truly different.
I feel like I definitely need fuel before, after, AND DURING my bike rides so... yea.
Ive never even heard anyone say no food before during or after, wha??
Originally Posted by An old Guy .

33 miles is about 2 hours. Since a lot of people are passing you, there is no need for any food before, during, or after. Just eat what you need to eat to keep your weight where you want it.

There is no need to take days off when you are doing 33 miles/day. Especially if people are passing you.

Ride a lot. When you get tired, take a break. When you get hungry, eat. When you start passing more people than pass you, think about what you need to change to improve.

It's discouraging [stupid to think this, I know] to see guys and girls glide on by me on hill climbs as I am struggling.
Don't get discouraged!!! A year and a half ago when I first started, I got going so slow on one of the bigger hills here that I actually fell over. LOL!!! Now, I'm passing people up all the time on it. It just takes time!

About nutrition, I would make sure you had something within a few hours of the beginning of the ride. Don't start out a ride/training session if you are too hungry. Right before the ride, grab a piece of fruit or something similar in calories. During the ride, I would take in about 200-250 calories of carbs/hour. Afterwards, something as simple as a coke or 8oz of chocolate milk (preferred) is a nice recovery drink.

For on the bike nutrition, I usually take two water bottles. One is plain water, and the other is an energy drink I make. I use one scoop of Cytomax and three scoops of Cytocarb II. This will yield about 250 calories and tastes great! I know I said to take in about 200-250 calories/hour. One bottle of that energy will get me by for about 1.5 hours, but if I go longer, I usually add more to the bottle - or even take a third bottle with me. It works for me....

Blueduxx;

Patience is what is required. If you want to ride with the big boys or girls, you have to train to ride like them. You are only a few months into your development as a cyclist, and it takes time, longer if you are not particularly young. Do some reading to find some training plans to guide your process. You don't have to follow them verbatim, but they will give you some guidance. Ride with a group that is at or just above your ability, it will help you develop faster than if you only ride alone as you will push yourself to keep up.

I started last January, I am more old than young (57) and I followed a 3 week on 1 week off type schedule. If you are younger than I,you can probably do 4 weeks on 1 off. Off being a loose term, that realy just means reduced training time, and lower intensity work. I ride or train 5 days a week, with Monday and Saturday off. Tues is an intense interval session, Wed a light cardio session and a strength training session, Thursday is a 30-40 mile fast paced group ride, Friday is an intense interval session, Saturday is off,and Sunday is a fast 40-60 mile group ride. On the light weeks, the intense interval sessions are replaced by hour long tempo sessions, and the Sunday group ride is with a lower intensity group that lets me treat the ride as a 'recovery" ride.

I manage my diet pretty closely, as it sounds like you do, but make sure you are eating enough, and getting enough protein (about 1.2-1.5 g/kg of body weight) or about 80 to 95 grams of protein a day. As far as eating goes, do what works for you. I eat before riding about 400 cal of yogurt and honey, and some coffee. During the ride, I use the honey stinger gels and water. On longer rides like centuries or so, I eat fruit at the rest stops and maybe a protein bar depending on how I feel. After the ride, I eat some lean protein, and have plenty of water.Otherwise,I just follow a fairly clean ordinary diet.

I almost exactly one year,I have gone from being exhausted and needing a nap after doing 20 miles at 15mph to doing 50 miles at 20 mph and then spending the afternoon walking around the outlet mall (there is a Pearl Izumi outlet store there).

DAL

Appreciate the feedback, but everyone is truly different.
I feel like I definitely need fuel before, after, AND DURING my bike rides so... yea.
Ive never even heard anyone say no food before during or after, wha??
You are what you train to be.

----

You don't weigh much. You don't ride much. You have lots of time to eat all day long. So eating while riding is not going to help or hurt you. Your bicycling requires about 1000 calories. You can consume them before the ride, during the ride, or after the ride.

---

The only people who need to eat during a ride are those who do not have enough time during the rest of the day to get the food down. Professional racers tend to have that problem.

thanks a ton! I am definitely not trying to lose weight, dont want that at all.

I always have bobs red mill 8 grain cereal, soy milk, blueberries, some dates, some dried apricots, 1/2 tsp chia/1/2 tsp raw cacao nibs, red star nutritional yeast, for prerides.

also, sometimes after a hard push up a hill I get super dizzy, the road starts morphing...I assume it's prebonk symptoms.

I dont do any carb liquids, which might be why I get weary on some rides [not always, but it does definitely happen]. I just use the Hammer fizz tabs for my water.

I eat powerbar gel's every half hour [sometimes with dried dates too], and every hour an Luna energy bar [always more fat in the bar after the 2 hour mark].

I know its not rocket science, I just want to make sure I am getting efficient calories and carbs in.
I've struggled in the past with carbs in general, so its a break from the mind telling me carbs are bad, when in fact they are 100% necessary in cycling.
also, going from the weight lifting mindset "MORE PROTEIN!!!!!!" it's an interesting switch, too. Since I've been dominantly in that mind set as well.

sorry if i'm rambling! any tips for training on a bike trainer? [just got the CycleOps fluid pro]

I find that keeping things simple on the bike works best for me with regards to food/drink.

For rides under 1.5hrs I'll take water or in extreme heat watered down hammer heed.

For rides 1.5hrs to 2ish hours - hammer heed.

2+hours hammer perpetuem. (it has protein and goes down well)

4+ hours hammer perpetuem, not quite as strong as recommended but with solid food - maybe a banana, jam sandwich, raisins, hammer semi gooey cereal bar (those are really easy to chew - the anti-powerbar)

If a tempo ride ends up kicking my head in and i come back A little worse for wear I'll always have a recovery drink. If I'm doing threshold work I'll always take in some carbs to aid recovery. Not a massive amount, often less than recommended but something to kick start the recovery process and to hold me over to the next meal - which, if I'm looking to lose weight is normally right after the ride has finished.

As for indoor trainer tips:

A really big fan - forget the commonly found 14" ones - BIG fans! If you drip sweat your fan is too small. Excessive sweat doesn't mean your necessarily working hard - it just means you're too hot.

Try different training sessions indoors and work around your level of enthusiasm. If 2 hrs at a hard tempo pace turns out to be the equivalent of watching the lifetime channel whilst eating cold porridge then consider shorter, harder threshold efforts. A couple of 20 minutes efforts done just under best pace will work wonders. As fitness increases either throw in some shorter, faster efforts or do an extra 20 minutes or 25 minutes effort. If you can't mentally make it work for you the physical part ain't gonna happen.

Music - I find stuffing some Metallica or Pantera great for high end L3 or low L4 work but I find any music or tv distracting to the point that it makes a solid threshold effort extremely hard to do. L5+ and music... Not for me either. YMMV.

Towel and drinks. Stay dry-ish and don't forget to drink. If doing 90 minutes of threshold work it might make sense to take in some carbs. Drape your towel across the bars, stem and top tube and it'll keep sweat of the bike. Big plain towels, without the fancy pleats or edging (which invariably curls up and becomes annoying) rule.