Couple of Questions re: 7-speed Hyperglide cassette

TomYoung

Guest
Hi all:

I'm rehabbing an old 7-speed bike for my daughter. The cassette is a
7-speed Hyperglide with the top 6 cogs riveted together. Several of
the cogs are quite rusty.

Question 1: Should I even worry about the rust or will the cassette
work just fine as is, being "de-rusted" as the bike gets used?

Question 2: Assuming I want to take the cassette apart can I just
drill out the rivet heads and then reassemble the cogs on the freehub
body as separate pieces? (The freehub body is the sort with the wide
spline so getting the proper orientation of the cogs shouldn't be a
problem.)

TIA

Tom Young

On Jun 20, 9:12 pm, TomYoung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm rehabbing an old 7-speed bike for my daughter.  The cassette is a
> 7-speed Hyperglide with the top 6 cogs riveted together.  Several of
> the cogs are quite rusty.
>
> Question 1: Should I even worry about the rust or will the cassette
> work just fine as is, being "de-rusted" as the bike gets used?

Your and my concepts of "quite rusty" may be radically different, but
a little surface rust isn't going to hurt anything. Cleaning it up
with a Brillo pad or similar is pretty quick, though.

> Question 2: Assuming I want to take the cassette apart can I just
> drill out the rivet heads and then reassemble the cogs on the freehub
> body as separate pieces?  (The freehub body is the sort with the wide
> spline so getting the proper orientation of the cogs shouldn't be a
> problem.)

Drilling works fine if you wanna build custom cassettes.

landotter wrote:
> On Jun 20, 9:12�pm, TomYoung <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I'm rehabbing an old 7-speed bike for my daughter. �The cassette is a
>> 7-speed Hyperglide with the top 6 cogs riveted together. �Several of
>> the cogs are quite rusty.
>>
>> Question 1: Should I even worry about the rust or will the cassette
>> work just fine as is, being "de-rusted" as the bike gets used?
>>

> Your and my concepts of "quite rusty" may be radically different, but
> a little surface rust isn't going to hurt anything. Cleaning it up
> with a Brillo pad or similar is pretty quick, though.

never use scotchbrite. it contains abrasive alumina spicules that embed
in the surface of the metal and rapidly increase wear rate.

>> Question 2: Assuming I want to take the cassette apart can I just
>> drill out the rivet heads and then reassemble the cogs on the freehub
>> body as separate pieces? �(The freehub body is the sort with the wide
>> spline so getting the proper orientation of the cogs shouldn't be a
>> problem.)

> Drilling works fine if you wanna build custom cassettes.

don't do it if the freehub has an aluminum body. point loading is
increased and the splines on the freehub may yield.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:12:33 -0700 (PDT), TomYoung <[email protected]>
may have said:

>Hi all:
>
>I'm rehabbing an old 7-speed bike for my daughter. The cassette is a
>7-speed Hyperglide with the top 6 cogs riveted together. Several of
>the cogs are quite rusty.
>
>Question 1: Should I even worry about the rust or will the cassette
>work just fine as is, being "de-rusted" as the bike gets used?

It's generally better to remove the majority of rust from load-bearing
surfaces if possible, but don't spend inordinate amounts of time and
effort trying to get it all off.

>Question 2: Assuming I want to take the cassette apart can I just
>drill out the rivet heads and then reassemble the cogs on the freehub
>body as separate pieces? (The freehub body is the sort with the wide
>spline so getting the proper orientation of the cogs shouldn't be a
>problem.)

That works quite well. In fact, those old riveted cassettes are often
preferred over the later ganged-style cassettes specifically because
they present the opportunity to drill the rivets, mix different
sprockets together and create a custom cassette.

On Jun 20, 8:12 pm, TomYoung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm rehabbing an old 7-speed bike for my daughter.  The cassette is a
> 7-speed Hyperglide with the top 6 cogs riveted together.  Several of
> the cogs are quite rusty.
>
> Question 1: Should I even worry about the rust or will the cassette
> work just fine as is, being "de-rusted" as the bike gets used?

Yes

> Question 2: Assuming I want to take the cassette apart can I just
> drill out the rivet heads and then reassemble the cogs on the freehub
> body as separate pieces?  (The freehub body is the sort with the wide
> spline so getting the proper orientation of the cogs shouldn't be a
> problem.)

Yes

TomYoung wrote:
> I'm rehabbing an old 7-speed bike for my daughter. The cassette is a
> 7-speed Hyperglide with the top 6 cogs riveted together. Several of
> the cogs are quite rusty.
> Question 1: Should I even worry about the rust or will the cassette
> work just fine as is, being "de-rusted" as the bike gets used?
> Question 2: Assuming I want to take the cassette apart can I just
> drill out the rivet heads and then reassemble the cogs on the freehub
> body as separate pieces? (The freehub body is the sort with the wide
> spline so getting the proper orientation of the cogs shouldn't be a
> problem.)

1. No.
2. Yes.

The rust is merely cosmetic - doesn't affect anything besides appearance.
Sure, remove the screws or rivets if you wish, they are a convenience to
assembly, nothing more.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>