got to wondering whether there are any UK manufacturers of these kind
of bags - I'd much rather go local if I could. I could only think of
Karrimor and Carradice, neither of which seem hugely covetable.
--
Cheers,

Steve

The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

On 2006-04-06 22:21:06 +0100, Steve Hodgson <[email protected]> said:

> I was looking around on the web this evening for a replacement courier
> bag and it seemed as though all the scrummy ones were designed in the
> US (Chrome/Waterfield) or Aus (Crumpler).
>
> I particularly liked the Chrome bags but the cost of buying direct from
> them is almost certain to mount up from an already high price. I just
> got to wondering whether there are any UK manufacturers of these kind
> of bags - I'd much rather go local if I could. I could only think of
> Karrimor and Carradice, neither of which seem hugely covetable.

<Sheepish>Chrome available at wiggle</Sheepish>
--
Cheers,

Steve

The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

"Steve Hodgson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-04-06 22:21:06 +0100, Steve Hodgson <[email protected]> said:
>
>> I was looking around on the web this evening for a replacement courier
>> bag and it seemed as though all the scrummy ones were designed in the US
>> (Chrome/Waterfield) or Aus (Crumpler).
>>
>> I particularly liked the Chrome bags but the cost of buying direct from
>> them is almost certain to mount up from an already high price. I just got
>> to wondering whether there are any UK manufacturers of these kind of
>> bags - I'd much rather go local if I could. I could only think of
>> Karrimor and Carradice, neither of which seem hugely covetable.

> <Sheepish>Chrome available at wiggle</Sheepish>

So is Crumpler. Both also available on ebay :)

I'd like to say that "nothing beats a Timbuk2 bag" but as mine has lasted 17 years and is still going strong, I haven't had the chance to try the competition so it'd be an unfair comment. :rolleyes:

They're a US make (of course) but are available from the bike shop in Camden and probably elsewhere now.

Check their website: http://www.timbuk2.com where you can design the exact bag you want.

(and they've got a sale on!)

Wheelist

You forgot Timbuktu! Also a good brand.

Most of them are available over here now though - it's improved
immensely in the last couple of years.

I've had my Crumpler Seedy Three for 4 years - taken it round the world
with me, used it every day commuting into work on my bike - and would
happily buy another one. Recently it's started looking a bit tatty
(sweat marks on the fabric from riding!), but superb build quality.
Worth every penny.

Interestingly, I remember seeing/ reading a grouptest of courier bags
in WMB/ MBR/ MBUK (can't remember which, but probably the first) and I
think they decided that a Karrimor bag was the best mix of build, size
and comfort/ security on your back.

Nick

Steve Hodgson wrote:
> I was looking around on the web this evening for a replacement courier
> bag and it seemed as though all the scrummy ones were designed in the US
> (Chrome/Waterfield) or Aus (Crumpler).
>
> I particularly liked the Chrome bags but the cost of buying direct from
> them is almost certain to mount up from an already high price. I just
> got to wondering whether there are any UK manufacturers of these kind of
> bags - I'd much rather go local if I could. I could only think of
> Karrimor and Carradice, neither of which seem hugely covetable.

Howies? Just bought one myself - seems well designed.

Zog The Undeniable said:
Steve Hodgson wrote:
> I was looking around on the web this evening for a replacement courier
> bag and it seemed as though all the scrummy ones were designed in the US
> (Chrome/Waterfield) or Aus (Crumpler).
>
> I particularly liked the Chrome bags but the cost of buying direct from
> them is almost certain to mount up from an already high price. I just
> got to wondering whether there are any UK manufacturers of these kind of
> bags - I'd much rather go local if I could. I could only think of
> Karrimor and Carradice, neither of which seem hugely covetable.

Howies? Just bought one myself - seems well designed.
I forgot about Howies!! :eek:

Check out their website: www.howies.co.uk

They're one of the coolest companies on the planet - ethically minded w.r.t. all of their products. As well as a number of pairs of their jeans and t-shirts, I've also got one of their merino wool mid-layers - absolutely brilliant!!

Their bags look sweet - let me know how it performs Zog! :)

wheelist wrote:

> Check out their website: www.howies.co.uk
>
> They're one of the coolest companies on the planet - ethically minded
> w.r.t. all of their products.

Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:06:54 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
>topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?

Are you suggesting boobs are somehow unethical?

"Bob"

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> wheelist wrote:
>>
>> Check out their website: www.howies.co.uk
>>
>> They're one of the coolest companies on the planet - ethically minded
>> w.r.t. all of their products.

> Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
> topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at
> shows?

And the thing that's _unethical_ about that is...?

Q: Whats a webmaster?
A: Like a spider, but nowhere near as intelligent.

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:06:54 +0100, Tony Raven wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

> wheelist wrote:
>>
>> Check out their website: www.howies.co.uk
>>
>> They're one of the coolest companies on the planet - ethically minded
>> w.r.t. all of their products.
>>

> Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
> topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?

Were they organic?

[email protected]yped

> > Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
> > topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?
> >

> Were they organic?

Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> [email protected]yped
>
>>> Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
>>> topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?
>>>

>> Were they organic?

> Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

Yes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_de_Milo

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

in message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht
('[email protected]') wrote:

> [email protected]yped
>
>> > Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
>> > topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at
>> > shows?
>> >

>> Were they organic?

> Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

http://www.realdoll.com/

NB: Tasteless, not work safe.

Morning had broken. I found a rather battered tube of Araldite
resin in the bottom of the toolbag.

Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > [email protected]yped

> >> Were they organic?

> > Have you ever met an inorganic woman?
> >

> Yes
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_de_Milo

Yebbut she can neither ride a bike nor post on uk.rec.cycling...

CaCO3 is only *just* inorganic ;-)

--

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed
>

>> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>>> [email protected]yped

>>> Have you ever met an inorganic woman?
>>>

>> Yes
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_de_Milo

> Yebbut she can neither ride a bike nor post on uk.rec.cycling...
>
> CaCO3 is only *just* inorganic ;-)

Nobbut its not clear that the Howies painted ladies met those criteria
either, although they did look less 'armless ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah
> Vecht ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> [email protected]yped

>>> Were they organic?

>> Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

> http://www.realdoll.com/
>
> NB: Tasteless, not work safe.

Yes, but have you ever *met* one?

--
Ambrose

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> [email protected]yped
>

>>>Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
>>>topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?
>>>

>>Were they organic?

> Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

Anne Robinson?
;-)

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 13:35:03 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote
(in article <[email protected]>):

> [email protected]yped
>
>>> Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
>>> topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?
>>>

>> Were they organic?

> Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

I've met one whose frontage wasn't 100 percent organic, and I have a
neighbour who has a plastic leg.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed
>

>>Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>>
>>>[email protected]

>>>Have you ever met an inorganic woman?
>>>

>>Yes
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_de_Milo

> Yebbut she can neither ride a bike nor post on uk.rec.cycling...

http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Organic%20Milo%20Flour%20(Sorghum).htm

James
--
James Annan