    of bags - I'd much rather go local if I could. I could only think of
    Karrimor and Carradice, neither of which seem hugely covetable.
    --
    Cheers,

    Steve

    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

    Tags:

  2. On 2006-04-06 22:21:06 +0100, Steve Hodgson <[email protected]> said:

    > I was looking around on the web this evening for a replacement courier
    > bag and it seemed as though all the scrummy ones were designed in the
    > US (Chrome/Waterfield) or Aus (Crumpler).
    >
    > I particularly liked the Chrome bags but the cost of buying direct from
    > them is almost certain to mount up from an already high price. I just
    > got to wondering whether there are any UK manufacturers of these kind
    > of bags - I'd much rather go local if I could. I could only think of
    > Karrimor and Carradice, neither of which seem hugely covetable.

    <Sheepish>Chrome available at wiggle</Sheepish>
    --
    Cheers,

    Steve

    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  3. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Steve Hodgson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 2006-04-06 22:21:06 +0100, Steve Hodgson <[email protected]> said:
    >
    >> I was looking around on the web this evening for a replacement courier
    >> bag and it seemed as though all the scrummy ones were designed in the US
    >> (Chrome/Waterfield) or Aus (Crumpler).
    >>
    >> I particularly liked the Chrome bags but the cost of buying direct from
    >> them is almost certain to mount up from an already high price. I just got
    >> to wondering whether there are any UK manufacturers of these kind of
    >> bags - I'd much rather go local if I could. I could only think of
    >> Karrimor and Carradice, neither of which seem hugely covetable.

    > <Sheepish>Chrome available at wiggle</Sheepish>

    So is Crumpler. Both also available on ebay :)

  4. wheelist

    wheelist New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    I'd like to say that "nothing beats a Timbuk2 bag" but as mine has lasted 17 years and is still going strong, I haven't had the chance to try the competition so it'd be an unfair comment. :rolleyes:

    They're a US make (of course) but are available from the bike shop in Camden and probably elsewhere now.

    Check their website: http://www.timbuk2.com where you can design the exact bag you want.

    (and they've got a sale on!)

    Wheelist

  5. NickD

    NickD Guest

    You forgot Timbuktu! Also a good brand.

    Most of them are available over here now though - it's improved
    immensely in the last couple of years.

    I've had my Crumpler Seedy Three for 4 years - taken it round the world
    with me, used it every day commuting into work on my bike - and would
    happily buy another one. Recently it's started looking a bit tatty
    (sweat marks on the fabric from riding!), but superb build quality.
    Worth every penny.

    Interestingly, I remember seeing/ reading a grouptest of courier bags
    in WMB/ MBR/ MBUK (can't remember which, but probably the first) and I
    think they decided that a Karrimor bag was the best mix of build, size
    and comfort/ security on your back.

    Nick

  6. Steve Hodgson wrote:
    > I was looking around on the web this evening for a replacement courier
    > bag and it seemed as though all the scrummy ones were designed in the US
    > (Chrome/Waterfield) or Aus (Crumpler).
    >
    > I particularly liked the Chrome bags but the cost of buying direct from
    > them is almost certain to mount up from an already high price. I just
    > got to wondering whether there are any UK manufacturers of these kind of
    > bags - I'd much rather go local if I could. I could only think of
    > Karrimor and Carradice, neither of which seem hugely covetable.

    Howies? Just bought one myself - seems well designed.

  7. wheelist

    wheelist New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    I forgot about Howies!! :eek:

    Check out their website: www.howies.co.uk

    They're one of the coolest companies on the planet - ethically minded w.r.t. all of their products. As well as a number of pairs of their jeans and t-shirts, I've also got one of their merino wool mid-layers - absolutely brilliant!!

    Their bags look sweet - let me know how it performs Zog! :)

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wheelist wrote:

    > Check out their website: www.howies.co.uk
    >
    > They're one of the coolest companies on the planet - ethically minded
    > w.r.t. all of their products.

    Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
    topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  9. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:06:54 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
    >topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?

    Are you suggesting boobs are somehow unethical?

    "Bob"

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > wheelist wrote:
    >>
    >> Check out their website: www.howies.co.uk
    >>
    >> They're one of the coolest companies on the planet - ethically minded
    >> w.r.t. all of their products.

    > Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
    > topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at
    > shows?

    And the thing that's _unethical_ about that is...?

    Q: Whats a webmaster?
    A: Like a spider, but nowhere near as intelligent.

  11. On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:06:54 +0100, Tony Raven wrote
    (in article <[email protected]>):

    > wheelist wrote:
    >>
    >> Check out their website: www.howies.co.uk
    >>
    >> They're one of the coolest companies on the planet - ethically minded
    >> w.r.t. all of their products.
    >>

    > Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
    > topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?

    Were they organic?

  12. [email protected]yped

    > > Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
    > > topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?
    > >

    > Were they organic?

    Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > [email protected]yped
    >
    >>> Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
    >>> topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?
    >>>

    >> Were they organic?

    > Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

    Yes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_de_Milo

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  14. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > [email protected]yped
    >
    >> > Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
    >> > topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at
    >> > shows?
    >> >

    >> Were they organic?

    > Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

    http://www.realdoll.com/

    NB: Tasteless, not work safe.

    Morning had broken. I found a rather battered tube of Araldite
    resin in the bottom of the toolbag.

  15. Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed

    > Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > > [email protected]yped

    > >> Were they organic?

    > > Have you ever met an inorganic woman?
    > >

    > Yes
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_de_Milo

    Yebbut she can neither ride a bike nor post on uk.rec.cycling...

    CaCO3 is only *just* inorganic ;-)

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed
    >

    >> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    >>> [email protected]yped

    >>> Have you ever met an inorganic woman?
    >>>

    >> Yes
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_de_Milo

    > Yebbut she can neither ride a bike nor post on uk.rec.cycling...
    >
    > CaCO3 is only *just* inorganic ;-)

    Nobbut its not clear that the Howies painted ladies met those criteria
    either, although they did look less 'armless ;-)

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  17. Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah
    > Vecht ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected]yped

    >>> Were they organic?

    >> Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

    > http://www.realdoll.com/
    >
    > NB: Tasteless, not work safe.

    Yes, but have you ever *met* one?

    --
    Ambrose

  18. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    > [email protected]yped
    >

    >>>Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
    >>>topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?
    >>>

    >>Were they organic?

    > Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

    Anne Robinson?
    ;-)

  19. On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 13:35:03 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote
    (in article <[email protected]>):

    > [email protected]yped
    >
    >>> Is that the same ethically minded Howies that used to use painted
    >>> topless women to attract teenage mountain bikers to their stand at shows?
    >>>

    >> Were they organic?

    > Have you ever met an inorganic woman?

    I've met one whose frontage wasn't 100 percent organic, and I have a
    neighbour who has a plastic leg.

  20. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed
    >

    >>Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    >>
    >>>[email protected]

    >>>Have you ever met an inorganic woman?
    >>>

    >>Yes
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_de_Milo

    > Yebbut she can neither ride a bike nor post on uk.rec.cycling...

    http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Organic%20Milo%20Flour%20(Sorghum).htm

    James
    --
    James Annan