Courier Mail Today ( Picking on Cyclists )

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Mick, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. Mick

    Mick Guest

    I was pissed off to read the Qweeekend Magazine today in the Brisbane
    Courier Mail.
    In a feature by Mike O'Connor in Backchat, he has a go at Cyclists calling
    us Two Wheeled Terrorists who ride in their Licorice Allsorts Lycra, and
    Funny Helmets.
    I was pissed off by a man in this position of media power to say these
    things.

    Yes Cyclist's like myself get pissed off with Walkers and Joggers, that
    block the whole bikeway, fail to keep left like the signs say, and walk
    along a designated "Bike's Only Lanes "

    Does Mike O'connor know that the Bikeway he is talking about along the river
    at Coro Drive, was originally made as a BIKEWAY ONLY ?
    no I don't think he does.

    Anyway I don't think this Cyclist bashing helps us in anyway, and I don't
    think a man in that position should only aggravate Joggers and Walkers more.
    Anyway I will send him my message now, please do likewise.
    His email address is
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. trek-man

    trek-man New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    O'Connor, pull your head out of your arse are you so desperate for ratings that you have to start calling people names now (cyclists). Just another peice of quality journalism from a toilet rag of a paper.
    Not yours but up yours
    M. Kelly

    Hows that :p

  3. L'acrobat

    L'acrobat Guest

    "Mick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >I was pissed off to read the Qweeekend Magazine today in the Brisbane
    >Courier Mail.
    > In a feature by Mike O'Connor in Backchat, he has a go at Cyclists calling
    > us Two Wheeled Terrorists who ride in their Licorice Allsorts Lycra, and
    > Funny Helmets.
    > I was pissed off by a man in this position of media power to say these
    > things.
    >
    > Yes Cyclist's like myself get pissed off with Walkers and Joggers, that
    > block the whole bikeway, fail to keep left like the signs say, and walk
    > along a designated "Bike's Only Lanes "
    >
    > Does Mike O'connor know that the Bikeway he is talking about along the
    > river at Coro Drive, was originally made as a BIKEWAY ONLY ?
    > no I don't think he does.
    >
    > Anyway I don't think this Cyclist bashing helps us in anyway, and I don't
    > think a man in that position should only aggravate Joggers and Walkers
    > more.
    > Anyway I will send him my message now, please do likewise.
    > His email address is
    > [email protected]

    Don't write to him, write to his editor explaining why you won't be buying
    their paper any more.

  4. DONGA

    DONGA Guest

    My reply to QWeekend:
    Dear Qweekend

    An eyetest is in order for your Backpage journalist (October 15-16), who
    persists in calling the clearly signposted Coro Drive Bikeway a 'walkway'.
    Inability to read signs might also explain his conflict with cyclists: the
    law requires him to keep left on a shared path.

    His poor vision is also intellectual: his column space would be useful if
    focused on achieving a realistic bike route to the city from Toowong. Then
    this city might depend on cars a little less.

    Please edit him out.

    Pete

    "L'acrobat" <[email protected]_me.bigpond.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Mick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I was pissed off to read the Qweeekend Magazine today in the Brisbane
    >>Courier Mail.
    >> In a feature by Mike O'Connor in Backchat, he has a go at Cyclists
    >> calling us Two Wheeled Terrorists who ride in their Licorice Allsorts
    >> Lycra, and Funny Helmets.
    >> I was pissed off by a man in this position of media power to say these
    >> things.
    >>
    >> Yes Cyclist's like myself get pissed off with Walkers and Joggers, that
    >> block the whole bikeway, fail to keep left like the signs say, and walk
    >> along a designated "Bike's Only Lanes "
    >>
    >> Does Mike O'connor know that the Bikeway he is talking about along the
    >> river at Coro Drive, was originally made as a BIKEWAY ONLY ?
    >> no I don't think he does.
    >>
    >> Anyway I don't think this Cyclist bashing helps us in anyway, and I don't
    >> think a man in that position should only aggravate Joggers and Walkers
    >> more.
    >> Anyway I will send him my message now, please do likewise.
    >> His email address is
    >> [email protected]

    > Don't write to him, write to his editor explaining why you won't be buying
    > their paper any more.

  5. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Good one Donga
    "DONGA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My reply to QWeekend:
    > Dear Qweekend
    >
    > An eyetest is in order for your Backpage journalist (October 15-16), who
    > persists in calling the clearly signposted Coro Drive Bikeway a 'walkway'.
    > Inability to read signs might also explain his conflict with cyclists: the
    > law requires him to keep left on a shared path.
    >
    > His poor vision is also intellectual: his column space would be useful if
    > focused on achieving a realistic bike route to the city from Toowong. Then
    > this city might depend on cars a little less.
    >
    > Please edit him out.
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > "L'acrobat" <[email protected]_me.bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Mick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>I was pissed off to read the Qweeekend Magazine today in the Brisbane
    >>>Courier Mail.
    >>> In a feature by Mike O'Connor in Backchat, he has a go at Cyclists
    >>> calling us Two Wheeled Terrorists who ride in their Licorice Allsorts
    >>> Lycra, and Funny Helmets.
    >>> I was pissed off by a man in this position of media power to say these
    >>> things.
    >>>
    >>> Yes Cyclist's like myself get pissed off with Walkers and Joggers, that
    >>> block the whole bikeway, fail to keep left like the signs say, and walk
    >>> along a designated "Bike's Only Lanes "
    >>>
    >>> Does Mike O'connor know that the Bikeway he is talking about along the
    >>> river at Coro Drive, was originally made as a BIKEWAY ONLY ?
    >>> no I don't think he does.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway I don't think this Cyclist bashing helps us in anyway, and I
    >>> don't think a man in that position should only aggravate Joggers and
    >>> Walkers more.
    >>> Anyway I will send him my message now, please do likewise.
    >>> His email address is
    >>> [email protected]

    >> Don't write to him, write to his editor explaining why you won't be
    >> buying their paper any more.

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    any chance you can post the original story so we can dissect him and then email accordingly. Also supply editor's addy too?
    Perhaps all 'other' stater's could embarrass em into some common sense?
    FD

  7. Humbug

    Humbug Guest

    On 17/10/05 at 08:58:57 flyingdutch somehow managed to type:

    <snip>

    > any chance you can post the original story so we can dissect him and

    No sooner said than done. Link - http://tinyurl.com/dw9x8

    My take on the whole thing is that some bloody bean counter has come up
    with the notion that if the chemical storage all goes "funny" someone's
    going to get hurt and therefore the company will be sued.

    The very probably more correct way of looking at the objection is "what
    are they trying to hide ?"

    --
    Humbug

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Or a scan of the article if it's not avaliable online? And then we'll sic the southerners onto Mister O'Connor. :eek:

  9. Humbug

    Humbug Guest

    On 17/10/05 at 09:27:16 Humbug somehow managed to type:

    Ahhhh Whoops, wrong thread - it should've been the "[The age] Companies
    fight bike path plan" thread..... How'd I manage to mess that up so
    badly anyway ???...:-(

    --
    Humbug

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    It's simple. They all hate us. Going down the garden to eat worms. No, actually I'm off to apply some top dressing & light watering. :D

  12. Humbug

    Humbug Guest

    On 17/10/05 at 10:13:03 cfsmtb somehow managed to type:

    > Humbug
    > No sooner said than done. [url Wrote:
    > > http://tinyurl.com/dw9x8[/url]

    > Ahhh..different story, think you meant this one in Vic:

    Ahhh yes I did..... In my defence it's Monday morning and I'm still in
    an undercaffeinated state therefore my confusion level is way up
    there...

    --
    Humbug

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    "Vat's noooofinnn!"

    I just spent an entire weekend sober,
    uncaffienated and in the company of
    a dozen scouts! The horror...

    The alcohol i_could_do_without (did i just type that?)
    but no caffiene is just not this lil' black duck's cup of tea, so to speak :(

  14. John Pitts

    John Pitts Guest

    On 2005-10-17, flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I just spent an entire weekend sober,
    > uncaffienated and in the company of
    > a dozen scouts! The horror...

    No caffeine? Shouldn't they have been boiling the billy and making it
    for you?? (ha!)

    --
    John (also a Scout leader, never without at least teabags handy. "Be
    Prepared")

    <[email protected]> (Remove hat before emailing)

  15. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Wot is the yoof of today comin' to?

    When we were scouts, we took our own alcohol away on camps. And we took tea and coffee too. Maybe you should have asked your scouts if any of them had a spare drink?:D

    SteveA

  16. Ted Linnell

    Ted Linnell Guest

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Humbug Wrote:
    >>
    >> Ahhh yes I did..... In my defence it's Monday morning and I'm still in
    >> an undercaffeinated state therefore my confusion level is way up
    >> there...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Humbug

    >"Vat's noooofinnn!"
    >
    >I just spent an entire weekend sober,
    >uncaffienated and in the company of
    >a dozen scouts! The horror...
    >
    >The alcohol i_could_do_without (did i just type that?)
    >but no caffiene is just not this lil' black duck's cup of tea, so to
    >speak :(

    What, no caffeine .
    I spent the weekend with 43 Cub Scouts and neede lots of the stuff to
    keep me going.
    Scouts should be able to boil the billy and make coffe or tea for the
    leaders.

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  17. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > "Vat's noooofinnn!"
    >
    > I just spent an entire weekend sober,
    > uncaffienated and in the company of
    > a dozen scouts! The horror...
    >
    > The alcohol i_could_do_without (did i just type that?)
    > but no caffiene is just not this lil' black duck's cup of tea, so to
    > speak :(

    What ever happened to "Be Prepared"?

    --
    Brett"Used to be a Patrol Leader"S

  18. BrettS wrote:
    > flyingdutch wrote:
    >
    >> "Vat's noooofinnn!"
    >>
    >> I just spent an entire weekend sober, uncaffienated and in the company
    >> of a dozen scouts! The horror...
    >>
    >> The alcohol i_could_do_without (did i just type that?)
    >> but no caffiene is just not this lil' black duck's cup of tea, so to
    >> speak :(

    > What ever happened to "Be Prepared"?

    He is probably an Assistant scout leader.
    Thank goodness for Patrol Leaders

    Terryc

    ex PL, TL, SL

  19. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    The youth of today are probably snorting lines of crushed Sudafed and drinking water.

    hippy
    - missing his Beam and Coke

  20. JH

    JH Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    >
    >>any chance you can post the original story so we can dissect him and
    >>then email accordingly. Also supply editor's addy too?
    >>Perhaps all 'other' stater's could embarrass em into some common
    >>sense?
    >>FD

    > Or a scan of the article if it's not avaliable online? And then we'll
    > sic the southerners onto Mister O'Connor. :eek:

    Can be found at
    http://static.flickr.com/27/53523879_bf5033154e_b.jpg
    I think that will work.

    jh