Courier or Post Bike -Perth to Bris

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Nagoman, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Nagoman

    Nagoman Guest

    Has anyone had any exp using a courier to post a bike from WA to
    Eastern states or vice versa.

    I need to get a bike to brisbane ASAP and am hoping the courier will be
    cheaper than Aus Post.

    Any tips?

    cheers

    Tags:

  2. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Nagoman wrote:

    > Has anyone had any exp using a courier to post a bike from WA to
    > Eastern states or vice versa.
    >
    > I need to get a bike to brisbane ASAP and am hoping the courier will be
    > cheaper than Aus Post.
    >
    > Any tips?
    >
    > cheers

    Find someone who is flying Perth to Brisbane, preferably with not much
    luggage, buy a bike box for $15 at the airport (unless you already have
    one), then the bike will travel for free. Just make sure someone is at
    the other end to pick it up.

  3. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Not such a bad idea, and certainly the cheapest if you manage it.

    I didnt think aus post would even take a bike whole as a package, surely it exceeds their size max.

    Expect to get gouged horribly for couriers, if you dont have an account. Ask around for someone with an account, TNT arent bad on bigger items, or try that busfreight bunch.

    till

  4. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    and someone preferably you would trust !??!
    or do you mean just sit out the front of the airport with your bike and a piece of cardboard with "Brisbane" written on it :)

  5. Yeah!! It worked really well for Schapelle Corby (spelling??)...

    "Can you just take this boogie board to Bali for me?? It costs too much
    for a courier..."

    I can just imagine what the people at the airport would think...

    Absent Husband :rollseyes:

  6. Nagoman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Has anyone had any exp using a courier to post a bike from WA to
    > Eastern states or vice versa.
    >
    > I need to get a bike to brisbane ASAP and am hoping the courier will be
    > cheaper than Aus Post.
    >
    > Any tips?
    >
    > cheers

    I don't think that Australia Post will take anything with a total
    dimension of greater than 1 metre. They run a tape measure around the
    longest part of the box and if it exceeds 1m they reject it, even if it
    is less than the maximum weight, which I think is around 20kg.

    Try McAfferty's or Greyhound bus service. It takes about three days from
    Brisbane to Perth. That's the cheapest.

    Peter
    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  7. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "Peter McCallum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1gt6obw.1lcaq2m1bo7kfsN%[email protected]
    > Nagoman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone had any exp using a courier to post a bike from WA to
    > > Eastern states or vice versa.
    > >
    > > I need to get a bike to brisbane ASAP and am hoping the courier will be
    > > cheaper than Aus Post.
    > >
    > > Any tips?
    > >
    > > cheers

    > I don't think that Australia Post will take anything with a total
    > dimension of greater than 1 metre. They run a tape measure around the
    > longest part of the box and if it exceeds 1m they reject it, even if it
    > is less than the maximum weight, which I think is around 20kg.

    length can't be longer than 105cm (the biggest dimension). Girth can't be
    more than 140cm (taken perpendicularly to the length at its widest point).
    A pair of rims, with no hubs only just scrapes in for the girth (anyone want
    to buy some rims off me?! see ebay!). For whole bikes, I have had OK
    expereinces with AAE, they are in kahoots with australia post. In Adelaide
    the depot for AAE is at the airpost, so you can drop the parcel off there to
    save money. Parcels can be tracked online too.
    http://www.aae.com.au
    Gemma

  8. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Gemma_k wrote:
    > length can't be longer than 105cm (the biggest dimension). Girth can't be
    > more than 140cm (taken perpendicularly to the length at its widest point).
    > A pair of rims, with no hubs only just scrapes in for the girth (anyone want
    > to buy some rims off me?! see ebay!).

    I sent two complete mtb wheels, individually boxed, with the boxes taped
    together, interstate, via AusPost. No hassles.

    hippy

  9. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Absent Husband wrote:

    > Yeah!! It worked really well for Schapelle Corby (spelling??)...
    >
    > "Can you just take this boogie board to Bali for me?? It costs too much
    > for a courier..."
    >
    > I can just imagine what the people at the airport would think...
    >
    > Absent Husband :rollseyes:

    Maybe I just know more people than most people know? It'd be totally
    viable for me. Make friends with military personnel and they'll know
    someone who's completely trackable who's travelling from A to B and has
    unlimited baggage allowance.

  10. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Gemma wrote:

    > (anyone want to buy some rims off me?! see ebay!).

    NOOOOOO!!!!! If I buy any more gorgeous light singles rims, Perry will kill me!

    Regards,

    Suzy (running away screaming)

  11. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    suzyj wrote:

    > Gemma wrote:
    >
    > > (anyone want to buy some rims off me?! see ebay!).

    > NOOOOOO!!!!! If I buy any more gorgeous light singles rims, Perry will
    > kill me!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Suzy (running away screaming)
    >
    > --
    > suzyj

    Uh oh, suzyj just said the R word.

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > suzyj wrote:
    >>Gemma wrote:
    >>
    >>>(anyone want to buy some rims off me?! see ebay!).

    >>NOOOOOO!!!!! If I buy any more gorgeous light singles rims, Perry will
    >>kill me!

    > Uh oh, suzyj just said the R word.

    You know you've been on a.b too long when you're a r#nner bagging
    r#nners.. :)

    hippy
    - complete with r#nny nose

  13. Gemma_k <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Peter McCallum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1gt6obw.1lcaq2m1bo7kfsN%[email protected]
    > > I don't think that Australia Post will take anything with a total
    > > dimension of greater than 1 metre. They run a tape measure around the
    > > longest part of the box and if it exceeds 1m they reject it, even if it
    > > is less than the maximum weight, which I think is around 20kg.
    > >

    > length can't be longer than 105cm (the biggest dimension). Girth can't be
    > more than 140cm (taken perpendicularly to the length at its widest point).
    > A pair of rims, with no hubs only just scrapes in for the girth (anyone want
    > to buy some rims off me?! see ebay!). For whole bikes, I have had OK
    > expereinces with AAE, they are in kahoots with australia post. In Adelaide
    > the depot for AAE is at the airpost, so you can drop the parcel off there to
    > save money. Parcels can be tracked online too.
    > http://www.aae.com.au
    > Gemma

    Thanks for clarifying that Gemma. I was talking off the top of my head
    (or was that through my hat?).

    Peter

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > suzyj wrote:

    > >>NOOOOOO!!!!! If I buy any more gorgeous light singles rims, Perry will
    > >>kill me!

    > > Uh oh, suzyj just said the R word.

    > You know you've been on a.b too long when you're a r#nner bagging
    > r#nners.. :)
    >
    > hippy
    > - complete with r#nny nose

    Correction.

    I'm a triathlete bagging r#nners....

  15. Resound

    Resound Guest

    > Thanks for clarifying that Gemma. I was talking off the top of my head
    > (or was that through my hat?).
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > --
    > Peter McCallum
    > Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    Surely you could be doing both? Just leave your hat on.

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > hippy wrote:
    >>You know you've been on a.b too long when you're a r#nner bagging
    >>r#nners.. :)

    > Correction.
    > I'm a triathlete bagging r#nners....

    I was going to make that distinction but thought the post needed another
    example of 'r#n'.

    hippy

  17. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "Nagoman" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Has anyone had any exp using a courier to post a bike from WA to
    > Eastern states or vice versa.
    >
    > I need to get a bike to brisbane ASAP and am hoping the courier will be
    > cheaper than Aus Post.
    >
    > Any tips?
    >
    > cheers

    My God! When I read the heading I thought you were going to ride a postie
    bike from Perth to Brisbane!

    Henry.

  18. Peter Gordon

    Peter Gordon Guest

    >> I need to get a bike to brisbane ASAP and am hoping the courier will be
    >> cheaper than Aus Post.

    When I sent a bike frame from Brisbane to Sydney, I checked
    the cost of couriers and Aus Post. Aus Post was much cheaper.

  19. Nagoman

    Nagoman Guest

    > My God! When I read the heading I thought you were going to ride a

    postie
    > bike from Perth to Brisbane!
    >
    > Henry.

    Ha hahaha...

    NO...not likely!

    Cheers for all the help everyone. Ended up found a courier for $80.
    Good enuff.

  20. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > NOOOOOO!!!!! If I buy any more gorgeous light singles rims, Perry will
    > kill me!

    there's always room for one pair more Suzy...I am sick of these sitting in
    my lounge room!
    Have a look at the Araya Golds, they're purdy :)
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Race-Direct_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm
    I got:
    Ambrosio Crono 36h (300g)
    Ambrosio Synthesis Durex 36h
    Ambrosio Montreal Blue colour (400g) 32h
    Ambrosio Metamorphosis 28h
    Ambrosio Montreal gunmetal blue colour (430g) 36h
    Araya Gold 77 World Champion 77 (300g) 28h
    Araya Gold 28h (330g)
    Campagnolo Omega Strada Hardox 36h
    Nisi Mercurio D'Oro 1977 28h
    Nisi Pista Speciale (280)g 36h
    Nisi Corsa Stretto 32h
    Nisi Cosra Stretto 32h Anodised
    Nisi Countach 32h Anodised
    Nisi Ekip 28h
    Nisi Pista Speciale gr200 32h (220g!!)
    Mavic Championnat Du Monde Professionell 28h