Coverage of this year's TDF

Tim Coates

Guest
Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?

Cheers

"Tim Coates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
> Channel 4 or any
radio
> stations this year please?
>
> Cheers

itv2

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Tim Coates wrote:
> Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
> Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?

AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the night
to get the repeated highlights programme which was offered
last year.

So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or you
do without.

Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race doesn't
merit any coverage on national, available to all, UK TV,
whereas one can find two channels devoting themselves to
extensive coverage of a football competition.

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/ Replies to
newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

Originally posted by Tim Coates
Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?

Cheers

highlights on itv2 early evening, live coverage on eurosport

"NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tim Coates wrote:
> > Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
> > Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?
>
> AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
> setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
> night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
> offered last year.
>
> So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
> you do without.
>

> Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race
> doesn't merit any coverage on national, available to all,
> UK TV, whereas one can find two channels devoting
> themselves to extensive coverage of a football
> competition.

Looks like France get two channels of the tour as well.Out
of interest do any other races eg Giro, Vuelta, get much
coverage outside of their own country?

MartinM wrote:

> "NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2kgb62F20jouU1@uni-
> berlin.de>...
>
>>Tim Coates wrote:
>>
>>>Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
>>>Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?
>>
>>AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
>>setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
>>night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
>>offered last year.
>>
>>So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
>>you do without.
>>

>>Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race
>>doesn't merit any coverage on national, available to all,
>>UK TV, whereas one can find two channels devoting
>>themselves to extensive coverage of a football
>>competition.
>

> Looks like France get two channels of the tour as well.Out
> of interest do any other races eg Giro, Vuelta, get much
> coverage outside of their own country?

The Giro d'Italia was covered here this year. Not sure about
any others, I discovered the Giro by accident :)

--

Velvet

"Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > "NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
> >>setting the VCR
> >>record ITV(1) in the middle of the night to get the
> >>repeated highlights programme which was offered
> >>last year.
> >>
> >>So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
> >>you do without.
> >>

> >>Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race
> >>doesn't merit any coverage on national, available to
> >>all, UK TV, whereas one can find two channels devoting
> >>themselves to extensive coverage of a football
> >>competition.
> >

> > Looks like France get two channels of the tour as
> > well.Out of interest do any other races eg Giro, Vuelta,
> > get much coverage outside of their
own country?

> The Giro d'Italia was covered here this year. Not sure
> about any others, I discovered the Giro by accident :)

I was in mauritius about 3 years ago and they had a channel
that seemed to have each entire stage televised live. Was
all in French though, I'm presuming it was a feed from a
French station.

--

MartinM wrote:

> Looks like France get two channels of the tour as well.Out
> of interest do any other races eg Giro, Vuelta, get much
> coverage outside of their own country?

Yep. And the classics and the World Championships, all
over Europe.

Roger

Danny Colyer wrote:

> Tim Coates wrote:
>> Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
>> Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?
>
> You should be able to listen online at
> <URL:http://www.letour.fr>

There was some good coverage available last year from
isn't available ATM, but I suppose it might return once
the race starts.

As an aside, is there a (polite) word for Management who
will happily allow employees to keep track of ball-footing,
ruggerby and even (gawdelpus) tennis

[**** in the crowd: Come on Tim!]

via the InterWeb, but as soon as I try to keep track of the
year's /major/ sporting event, I get a bollocking?

Happily, I have just written the specification for my new!
IMPROVED!! Nut Mining position myself, so it includes
"Must know what is happening during every minute of the
Tour de France" as part of the "Main Duties And
Rsponsibilities" bit.

Perhaps.

We do not advocate golfing the InterWeb for news of Sporting
Events unless your local Thought Police are not much use.
Signed: The Mgt.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"NC" wrote:
> AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
> setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
> night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
> offered last year.

I think there are going to be 3 highlights programmes on
ITV1. The first one's on Tuesday morning at 01:00.

Mike

In article <[email protected]>, NC <[email protected]> wrote:
> AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
> setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
> night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
> offered last year.

ITV are apparently doing a weekly highlights programme.

> So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
> you do without.

Cost of a freeview decoder is, what, 60 quid? I
appreciate that there are people for whom it won't work,
but for a large part of the population, it's a trivial
amount of money.

> Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race
> doesn't merit any coverage on national, available to all,
> UK TV, whereas one can find two channels devoting
> themselves to extensive coverage of a football
> competition.

You only have to look at the desperate, and short, ad breaks
when it was on C4 to see how small the actual audience is.
You can argue as to the reasons for this, but it is
currently a fact. Whereas I was at the cinema last night
during the Portugal/Holland match, and it was _empty_.

And most sports with a serious drug problem experience
problems finding an audience outside the hardcore. Athletics
has plummeted as a TV ratings winner since people realised
that the winner of a sprint will usually either be
disqualified for drug use or found the following year to be
a drug user, and cycling will find itself in a similar state
if it doesn't clean up its act.

ian

On 1/7/04 12:15 pm, in article [email protected],
"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Happily, I have just written the specification for my
>> new! IMPROVED!! Nut Mining position myself, so it
>> includes "Must know what is happening during every minute
>> of the Tour de France" as part of the "Main Duties And
>> Rsponsibilities" bit.

> Seems entirely reasonable. I have just been successful
> in instructing he who thinks he's management to purchase
> a digibox so we can watch the Tour on ITV2. I refuse to
> get Sky...

> He who thinks he's management and the offspring are
> currently in lounge fiddling with the TV, digibox things
> to set them up. They had better get it right ;-)

Got one today. It took ten minutes max to set up. Dead easy
and it works. So I can watch leTour too (except for when I
am on holiday ;-(

..d

In article <BD09B50D.19984%[email protected]>,
David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Got one today. It took ten minutes max to set up. Dead
> easy and it works. So I can watch leTour too (except for
> when I am on holiday ;-(

You should have bought a Pace Twin. Two Freeview decoders
and a hard disk recorder in a box. You'll find a lot of
people whining about the software: it's not brilliant, but
it's not as bad as is made out. I whacked an 80GB disk
(unfortunately it uses laptop drives, so that's the biggest
I could find for sensible money) in mine so it'll record 40
hours of TV. Or about 800 hours of radio.

ian

On 1/7/04 12:43 pm, in article [email protected], "Ian G
Batten" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <BD09B50D.19984%[email protected]>,
> David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Got one today. It took ten minutes max to set up. Dead
>> easy and it works. So I can watch leTour too (except for
>> when I am on holiday ;-(

> You should have bought a Pace Twin.

SWMBO wopuldn't stand for that.. It was enough getting the
cehapest box I could..

..d

In article <BD09B918.19992%[email protected]>,
David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> > You should have bought a Pace Twin.
>
> SWMBO wopuldn't stand for that.. It was enough getting the
> cehapest box I

My wife usually objects to gadget purchases, but is an
absolute devotee of the Twin. Pause live TV, start watching
programmes from the start before they've finished recording,
set regular events and not worry about having a suitable
tape in the gate, etc, etc. All for 200 notes.

ian

On 01 Jul 2004 11:15:27 GMT, [email protected]
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>I have just been successful in instructing he who thinks
>he's management to purchase a digibox so we can watch the
>Tour on ITV2. I refuse to get Sky...

Aha, and apropos of nothign, have you got one of these for
taking Waffles to the <whisper>vet?</whisper>

<url:http://internet.ls-la.net/pictures/Cat-Carrier.html>

Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, NC
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
> > setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
> > night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
> > offered last year.
>
> ITV are apparently doing a weekly highlights programme.
>
> > So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
> > you do without.
>
> Cost of a freeview decoder is, what, 60 quid? I
> appreciate that there are people for whom it won't work,
> but for a large part of the population, it's a trivial
> amount of money.

I know would have got one last year (if I lived in an area
that could even get Channel 5 let alone freeview), BUT Sky
are launching a 114 channel free dish later in the year, so
I'm going to wait, also I want a free sock sorry monkey.

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> As an aside, is there a (polite) word for Management who
> will happily allow employees to keep track of ball-
> footing, ruggerby and even (gawdelpus) tennis
>
> [**** in the crowd: Come on Tim!]
>
> via the InterWeb, but as soon as I try to keep track of
> the year's /major/ sporting event, I get a bollocking?

Evil squirrels? No, sorry, that's two words.

--
Dave...

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my
nose. — Woody Allen

Dave Kahn wrote:

> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2ki45oF2evirU5@uni-
> berlin.de>...
>
>> As an aside, is there a (polite) word for Management who
>> will happily allow employees to keep track of ball-
>> footing, ruggerby and even (gawdelpus) tennis
>>
>> [**** in the crowd: Come on Tim!]
>>
>> via the InterWeb, but as soon as I try to keep track of
>> the year's /major/ sporting event, I get a bollocking?
>
> Evil squirrels? No, sorry, that's two words.

That /particular/ tossblanket coincidentally left the Nut
Mines about three weeks before the Evil Squirrels started
all this redundancy nonce. Well, he /said/ it was a
coincidence, but being a member of The Mgt, may well have
been lying...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/