Coverage of this year's TDF

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Coates, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. Tim Coates

    Tim Coates Guest

    Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
    Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?

    Cheers

    Tags:

  2. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Tim Coates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
    > Channel 4 or any
    radio
    > stations this year please?
    >
    > Cheers

    itv2

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  3. Nc

    Nc Guest

    Tim Coates wrote:
    > Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
    > Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?

    AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
    setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the night
    to get the repeated highlights programme which was offered
    last year.

    So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or you
    do without.

    Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race doesn't
    merit any coverage on national, available to all, UK TV,
    whereas one can find two channels devoting themselves to
    extensive coverage of a football competition.

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/ Replies to
    newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Tim Coates wrote:
    > Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
    > Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?

    You should be able to listen online at
    <URL:http://www.letour.fr>

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
    reply address)

  5. dailuggs

    dailuggs New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    highlights on itv2 early evening, live coverage on eurosport

  6. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tim Coates wrote:
    > > Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
    > > Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?
    >
    > AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
    > setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
    > night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
    > offered last year.
    >
    > So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
    > you do without.
    >

    > Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race
    > doesn't merit any coverage on national, available to all,
    > UK TV, whereas one can find two channels devoting
    > themselves to extensive coverage of a football
    > competition.

    Looks like France get two channels of the tour as well.Out
    of interest do any other races eg Giro, Vuelta, get much
    coverage outside of their own country?

  7. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > "NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > berlin.de>...
    >
    >>Tim Coates wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
    >>>Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?
    >>
    >>AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
    >>setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
    >>night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
    >>offered last year.
    >>
    >>So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
    >>you do without.
    >>

    >>Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race
    >>doesn't merit any coverage on national, available to all,
    >>UK TV, whereas one can find two channels devoting
    >>themselves to extensive coverage of a football
    >>competition.
    >

    > Looks like France get two channels of the tour as well.Out
    > of interest do any other races eg Giro, Vuelta, get much
    > coverage outside of their own country?

    The Giro d'Italia was covered here this year. Not sure about
    any others, I discovered the Giro by accident :)

    --

    Velvet

  8. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > "NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
    > >>setting the VCR
    > >>record ITV(1) in the middle of the night to get the
    > >>repeated highlights programme which was offered
    > >>last year.
    > >>
    > >>So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
    > >>you do without.
    > >>

    > >>Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race
    > >>doesn't merit any coverage on national, available to
    > >>all, UK TV, whereas one can find two channels devoting
    > >>themselves to extensive coverage of a football
    > >>competition.
    > >

    > > Looks like France get two channels of the tour as
    > > well.Out of interest do any other races eg Giro, Vuelta,
    > > get much coverage outside of their
    own country?

    > The Giro d'Italia was covered here this year. Not sure
    > about any others, I discovered the Giro by accident :)

    I was in mauritius about 3 years ago and they had a channel
    that seemed to have each entire stage televised live. Was
    all in French though, I'm presuming it was a feed from a
    French station.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  9. Roger Hughes

    Roger Hughes Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > Looks like France get two channels of the tour as well.Out
    > of interest do any other races eg Giro, Vuelta, get much
    > coverage outside of their own country?

    Yep. And the classics and the World Championships, all
    over Europe.

    Roger

  10. Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Tim Coates wrote:
    >> Does anybody know whether the TDF is being covered by
    >> Channel 4 or any radio stations this year please?
    >
    > You should be able to listen online at
    > <URL:http://www.letour.fr>

    There was some good coverage available last year from
    isn't available ATM, but I suppose it might return once
    the race starts.

    As an aside, is there a (polite) word for Management who
    will happily allow employees to keep track of ball-footing,
    ruggerby and even (gawdelpus) tennis

    [Twat in the crowd: Come on Tim!]

    via the InterWeb, but as soon as I try to keep track of the
    year's /major/ sporting event, I get a bollocking?

    Happily, I have just written the specification for my new!
    IMPROVED!! Nut Mining position myself, so it includes
    "Must know what is happening during every minute of the
    Tour de France" as part of the "Main Duties And
    Rsponsibilities" bit.

    Perhaps.

    We do not advocate golfing the InterWeb for news of Sporting
    Events unless your local Thought Police are not much use.
    Signed: The Mgt.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  11. Mike Farnes

    Mike Farnes Guest

    "NC" wrote:
    > AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
    > setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
    > night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
    > offered last year.

    I think there are going to be 3 highlights programmes on
    ITV1. The first one's on Tuesday morning at 01:00.

    Mike

  12. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, NC <[email protected]> wrote:
    > AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
    > setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
    > night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
    > offered last year.

    ITV are apparently doing a weekly highlights programme.

    > So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
    > you do without.

    Cost of a freeview decoder is, what, 60 quid? I
    appreciate that there are people for whom it won't work,
    but for a large part of the population, it's a trivial
    amount of money.

    > Its a shame that the worlds most famous cycling race
    > doesn't merit any coverage on national, available to all,
    > UK TV, whereas one can find two channels devoting
    > themselves to extensive coverage of a football
    > competition.

    You only have to look at the desperate, and short, ad breaks
    when it was on C4 to see how small the actual audience is.
    You can argue as to the reasons for this, but it is
    currently a fact. Whereas I was at the cinema last night
    during the Portugal/Holland match, and it was _empty_.

    And most sports with a serious drug problem experience
    problems finding an audience outside the hardcore. Athletics
    has plummeted as a TV ratings winner since people realised
    that the winner of a sprint will usually either be
    disqualified for drug use or found the following year to be
    a drug user, and cycling will find itself in a similar state
    if it doesn't clean up its act.

    ian

  13. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 1/7/04 12:15 pm, in article [email protected]b-m18.aol.com,
    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Happily, I have just written the specification for my
    >> new! IMPROVED!! Nut Mining position myself, so it
    >> includes "Must know what is happening during every minute
    >> of the Tour de France" as part of the "Main Duties And
    >> Rsponsibilities" bit.

    > Seems entirely reasonable. I have just been successful
    > in instructing he who thinks he's management to purchase
    > a digibox so we can watch the Tour on ITV2. I refuse to
    > get Sky...

    > He who thinks he's management and the offspring are
    > currently in lounge fiddling with the TV, digibox things
    > to set them up. They had better get it right ;-)

    Got one today. It took ten minutes max to set up. Dead easy
    and it works. So I can watch leTour too (except for when I
    am on holiday ;-(

    ..d

  14. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <BD09B50D.19984%[email protected]>,
    David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Got one today. It took ten minutes max to set up. Dead
    > easy and it works. So I can watch leTour too (except for
    > when I am on holiday ;-(

    You should have bought a Pace Twin. Two Freeview decoders
    and a hard disk recorder in a box. You'll find a lot of
    people whining about the software: it's not brilliant, but
    it's not as bad as is made out. I whacked an 80GB disk
    (unfortunately it uses laptop drives, so that's the biggest
    I could find for sensible money) in mine so it'll record 40
    hours of TV. Or about 800 hours of radio.

    ian

  15. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 1/7/04 12:43 pm, in article [email protected], "Ian G
    Batten" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <BD09B50D.19984%[email protected]>,
    > David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Got one today. It took ten minutes max to set up. Dead
    >> easy and it works. So I can watch leTour too (except for
    >> when I am on holiday ;-(

    > You should have bought a Pace Twin.

    SWMBO wopuldn't stand for that.. It was enough getting the
    cehapest box I could..

    ..d

  16. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <BD09B918.19992%[email protected]>,
    David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > You should have bought a Pace Twin.
    >
    > SWMBO wopuldn't stand for that.. It was enough getting the
    > cehapest box I

    My wife usually objects to gadget purchases, but is an
    absolute devotee of the Twin. Pause live TV, start watching
    programmes from the start before they've finished recording,
    set regular events and not worry about having a suitable
    tape in the gate, etc, etc. All for 200 notes.

    ian

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 01 Jul 2004 11:15:27 GMT, [email protected]
    (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >I have just been successful in instructing he who thinks
    >he's management to purchase a digibox so we can watch the
    >Tour on ITV2. I refuse to get Sky...

    Aha, and apropos of nothign, have you got one of these for
    taking Waffles to the <whisper>vet?</whisper>

    <url:http://internet.ls-la.net/pictures/Cat-Carrier.html>

    Guy
    posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  18. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, NC
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > AFAIK, its ITV2 only this year. Not even the option of
    > > setting the VCR to record ITV(1) in the middle of the
    > > night to get the repeated highlights programme which was
    > > offered last year.
    >
    > ITV are apparently doing a weekly highlights programme.
    >
    > > So, either you get digital TV (Freeview, Sky, Cable) or
    > > you do without.
    >
    > Cost of a freeview decoder is, what, 60 quid? I
    > appreciate that there are people for whom it won't work,
    > but for a large part of the population, it's a trivial
    > amount of money.

    I know would have got one last year (if I lived in an area
    that could even get Channel 5 let alone freeview), BUT Sky
    are launching a 114 channel free dish later in the year, so
    I'm going to wait, also I want a free sock sorry monkey.

  19. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > As an aside, is there a (polite) word for Management who
    > will happily allow employees to keep track of ball-
    > footing, ruggerby and even (gawdelpus) tennis
    >
    > [Twat in the crowd: Come on Tim!]
    >
    > via the InterWeb, but as soon as I try to keep track of
    > the year's /major/ sporting event, I get a bollocking?

    Evil squirrels? No, sorry, that's two words.

    --
    Dave...

    I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my
    nose. — Woody Allen

  20. Dave Kahn wrote:

    > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > berlin.de>...
    >
    >> As an aside, is there a (polite) word for Management who
    >> will happily allow employees to keep track of ball-
    >> footing, ruggerby and even (gawdelpus) tennis
    >>
    >> [Twat in the crowd: Come on Tim!]
    >>
    >> via the InterWeb, but as soon as I try to keep track of
    >> the year's /major/ sporting event, I get a bollocking?
    >
    > Evil squirrels? No, sorry, that's two words.

    That /particular/ tossblanket coincidentally left the Nut
    Mines about three weeks before the Evil Squirrels started
    all this redundancy nonce. Well, he /said/ it was a
    coincidence, but being a member of The Mgt, may well have
    been lying...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/