Covering dough

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Craig Welch, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Craig Welch

    Craig Welch Guest

    Why, when resting dough to have it rise, should it be covered?

    --
    Craig

    Tags:

  2. Levelwave

    Levelwave Guest

    Craig Welch wrote:
    > Why, when resting dough to have it rise, should it be covered?

    To keep it from drying out...

    ~john!

    --
    "This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
    All this pain is an illusion...."

  3. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, levelwave
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >Craig Welch wrote:
    >> Why, when resting dough to have it rise, should it be covered?
    >

    >To keep it from drying out...

    Indirectly... but not really to prevent drying so much as to prevent cooling... covering prevents
    the drafts that would hasten moisture loss, which in turn would hasten cooling by evaporation the
    same as does a fan on a sweaty body. Professional bakers use a proofing box, an enclosure containing
    many adjustable perforations, designed to protect from drafts but still permit controled circulation
    so as to also prevent condensation... a balance must be achieved for proper proofing. For most yeast
    dough work, absent a proof box, covering loosely with a clean towel is best (porousity of cloth acts
    to prevent condensation). Of course there are always exceptions, ie. pizza dough for one... since
    pizza dough is never proofed.

  4. Craig Welch

    Craig Welch Guest

    On 11 Sep 2003 20:07:25 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

    >Of course there are always exceptions, ie. pizza dough for one... since pizza dough is
    >never proofed.

    Mine is. And what an excellent result!

    --
    Craig

  5. Gini52

    Gini52 Guest

    "Craig Welch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 11 Sep 2003 20:07:25 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:
    >
    > >Of course there are always exceptions, ie. pizza dough for one... since pizza dough is never
    > >proofed.
    >
    > Mine is. And what an excellent result!
    ==
    Mine as well--And I've never had any better.
    ==