"cow horn" handlebars stem question

Jim Flom

Guest
Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

On Aug 19, 9:48 am, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
> Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

It depends on how you will be using them. In theory, TT handlebars are
used to get you more aerodynamic. Find the most aero position that you
can comfortably get on you current road bars. Try to place your TT
bars in a position in which your hands, while near that brake levers,
will be just as aerodynamic or more so. On the other hand, if you are
going to use them as a base for some bolt on tri type aerobars, Then
you need to figure out what is the ideal position for bolt ons a and
then, Adjusting the stem accordingly.

A TT handlebar will place you hands slightly further forward than on
road bars. However, they may not place them as low as in the drops of
a road bar. so you need to decide also if you want to be more
stretched or lower. So, you may keep the same stem and be a little
more stretched. or you may want to get a shorter stem and place it
lower.

What is your objective for getting TT bars? Saving weight? More
aerodynamic position? Base for bolt-on tri bars? Looks? comfort?

Andres

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:48:52 GMT, "Jim Flom"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
>Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

Look at where each bar places your hands relative to where the bar
attaches to the stem, and adust the length of the stem accordingly.
--
JT
****************************

On Aug 19, 5:48 pm, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
> Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

Take notice.
A TT handlebar never allows a variaty of grip positions as a regular
racing bar. That may be a serious disadvantage.

Sergio
Pisa

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Aug 19, 9:48 am, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
>> Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

> It depends on how you will be using them. In theory, TT handlebars are
> used to get you more aerodynamic. Find the most aero position that you
> can comfortably get on you current road bars. Try to place your TT
> bars in a position in which your hands, while near that brake levers,
> will be just as aerodynamic or more so. On the other hand, if you are
> going to use them as a base for some bolt on tri type aerobars, Then
> you need to figure out what is the ideal position for bolt ons a and
> then, Adjusting the stem accordingly.
>
> A TT handlebar will place you hands slightly further forward than on
> road bars. However, they may not place them as low as in the drops of
> a road bar. so you need to decide also if you want to be more
> stretched or lower. So, you may keep the same stem and be a little
> more stretched. or you may want to get a shorter stem and place it
> lower.
>
> What is your objective for getting TT bars? Saving weight? More
> aerodynamic position? Base for bolt-on tri bars? Looks? comfort?

I'm switching off the road bars from the fixed gear that I use mostly for
in-town riding. I don't want to use the road bars, and looking at the
available options, I see that bike messengers sometimes prefer them. I am
after a more upright ride than if I were in the drops. Given what you're
saying it sounds like I don't want the additional stretch, but don't want to
ride lower either. I have a shorter stem that I can switch out if need be.

On Aug 19, 11:02 am, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Aug 19, 9:48 am, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
> >> Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

> > It depends on how you will be using them. In theory, TT handlebars are
> > used to get you more aerodynamic. Find the most aero position that you
> > can comfortably get on you current road bars. Try to place your TT
> > bars in a position in which your hands, while near that brake levers,
> > will be just as aerodynamic or more so. On the other hand, if you are
> > going to use them as a base for some bolt on tri type aerobars, Then
> > you need to figure out what is the ideal position for bolt ons a and
> > then, Adjusting the stem accordingly.

> > A TT handlebar will place you hands slightly further forward than on
> > road bars. However, they may not place them as low as in the drops of
> > a road bar. so you need to decide also if you want to be more
> > stretched or lower. So, you may keep the same stem and be a little
> > more stretched. or you may want to get a shorter stem and place it
> > lower.

> > What is your objective for getting TT bars? Saving weight? More
> > aerodynamic position? Base for bolt-on tri bars? Looks? comfort?

> I'm switching off the road bars from the fixed gear that I use mostly for
> in-town riding. I don't want to use the road bars, and looking at the
> available options, I see that bike messengers sometimes prefer them. I am
> after a more upright ride than if I were in the drops. Given what you're
> saying it sounds like I don't want the additional stretch, but don't want to
> ride lower either. I have a shorter stem that I can switch out if need be.

As JT suggests, you can find a comfortable position in your current
setup. Measure the distance where you would place your hands to the
saddle. Place the TTs so that the your hands on the TTs will be at the
same distance. Note that some cownhorns have very long ends, and some
are shorter. when you put the break levers, they may be too far
forward. and hence your hands will be really far forward. You can
either use a shorted stem, or chop a couple of inches of the
cowhorns.

Sergio points to something obvious, but important. Road bars have four
or five hand positions. TTs have only two to three. a very comfortable
position that you end up losing with the TTs is the ability to rest
your hands on your brake levers. some people chop the Road bars below
the levers and end up with a set up which is similar to the TTs and
the brake levers to rest your hands. You end up with the cleaner look
that some bike couriers and commuters favor. Once you chopped the road
bar ends, you can flip them and end up with cowhorns. That is what
Road racers used to do in the olden days. Cowhorns were essentially
flipped road bars with the ends chopped of. Note that this is a money
saving altenative too. cheap roadbars can be found on ebay for peanuts
sometimes. TT bars are often more expensive.

I rambled a lot, but to answer your specific question, measure the
distance from the tip of your saddle and where you would want your
hands to be. You can also lay the tts right on top of your roadbars.
See where the position of your hands will be on the TTs in comparison
to where they are on your roadbars. You may need a shorter stem as you
suggest.

Andres

On Aug 19, 9:48 am, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
> Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

Probably just the opposite since where your hands live on a cowhorn is
farther forward than a drop handlebar on the hoods. But use the
present stem and see before you change both.

On Aug 19, 5:48 pm, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
> Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

I'd say it depends on whether you use the tops or the hoods most
often, and how the bars you choose match up to your existing road bar
reach.

I have a set of nashbar cow-horns on my fixed gear bike. I opted to
have a stem that makes the tops be in the same place as on my road
bike. This means the cow-horn part is a little further out than the
hoods are on my road bike, but not much. I find that while the cow-
horns don't have as many positions as the regular road bars, the
comfort of the forward position makes up fo this. My hands feel
cramped on the hoods of my road bike in a way they don't with cow-
horns. If you are just swapping bars, the existing stem length is
probably fine. I also don't miss the drops position because I ride my
fixed gear in a more relaxed manner than my road bike, so even if the
bike had drops, I would probably never use them.

Gratuitous link to pic of my bike pre-frame swap:

http://arbitrary.org/black.JPG

Joseph

On 19 Ago, 19:23, "[email protected]"
> Sergio points to something obvious, but important. Road bars have four
> or five hand positions. TTs have only two to three.

Not to take back my previous warning, by all means!, let me add the
following.
Just for the change1, I have in the past acquired and built up a
Benotto TT machine, an excellent 26" front wheel frameset, with what
you call a cow-horn handelbar.
As a matter of fact it turned out to be so comfortable that I happily
take it out also on rather long outings, up to five hours so far, with
no inconvenience whatsoever.
Going uphill or downhill I never feel the need to sit up nor farther
back on the saddle.
A marvel!

Sergio
Pisa

<[email protected]> wrote...

> I'd say it depends on whether you use the tops or the hoods most
> often, and how the bars you choose match up to your existing road bar
> reach.
>
> I have a set of nashbar cow-horns on my fixed gear bike. I opted to
> have a stem that makes the tops be in the same place as on my road
> bike. This means the cow-horn part is a little further out than the
> hoods are on my road bike, but not much. I find that while the cow-
> horns don't have as many positions as the regular road bars, the
> comfort of the forward position makes up fo this. My hands feel
> cramped on the hoods of my road bike in a way they don't with cow-
> horns. If you are just swapping bars, the existing stem length is
> probably fine. I also don't miss the drops position because I ride my
> fixed gear in a more relaxed manner than my road bike, so even if the
> bike had drops, I would probably never use them.
>
> Gratuitous link to pic of my bike pre-frame swap:
>
> http://arbitrary.org/black.JPG

Cool bike. It looks like mine's gonna look. I'm after the same basic idea
you were after. I mostly ride on the hoods, but want what looks like the
more comfortable stance that the cow horns offer. I also looked at the $20
nashbar handlebars,

http://tinyurl.com/26umga

but while I like the black, the $40 Nittos

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1833

look more comfortable to me and better able to take a set of brakes. For my
purposes I'm not worried about any loss of hand positions. I'm not going so
far on any given trip with this bike that I'm worried about it. I'm
expecting the comfort you describe. They just look like the position I'm
after.

Jim Flom wrote:
> Cool bike. It looks like mine's gonna look. I'm after the same basic idea
> you were after. I mostly ride on the hoods, but want what looks like the
> more comfortable stance that the cow horns offer. I also looked at the $20
> nashbar handlebars,
>
> http://tinyurl.com/26umga
>
> but while I like the black, the $40 Nittos
>
> http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1833
>
> look more comfortable to me and better able to take a set of brakes. For my
> purposes I'm not worried about any loss of hand positions. I'm not going so
> far on any given trip with this bike that I'm worried about it. I'm
> expecting the comfort you describe. They just look like the position I'm
> after.

The Nashbar and Syntace bars that I use are AFAIK, identical with the
exception of internal cable routing. My bars have had both Tektro and
Dia-Compe TT levers and both worked fine (the Tektro levers match the
routing better).

\\paul

Jim Flom wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote...
>> I'd say it depends on whether you use the tops or the hoods most
>> often, and how the bars you choose match up to your existing road bar
>> reach.
>>
>> I have a set of nashbar cow-horns on my fixed gear bike. I opted to
>> have a stem that makes the tops be in the same place as on my road
>> bike. This means the cow-horn part is a little further out than the
>> hoods are on my road bike, but not much. I find that while the cow-
>> horns don't have as many positions as the regular road bars, the
>> comfort of the forward position makes up fo this. My hands feel
>> cramped on the hoods of my road bike in a way they don't with cow-
>> horns. If you are just swapping bars, the existing stem length is
>> probably fine. I also don't miss the drops position because I ride my
>> fixed gear in a more relaxed manner than my road bike, so even if the
>> bike had drops, I would probably never use them.
>>
>> Gratuitous link to pic of my bike pre-frame swap:
>>
>> http://arbitrary.org/black.JPG

Very cool.

> Cool bike. It looks like mine's gonna look. I'm after the same basic idea
> you were after. I mostly ride on the hoods, but want what looks like the
> more comfortable stance that the cow horns offer.

Yeah, I'm looking for a cheap pair of non-grooved, non-ergo road bars to
cut. On my road bikes I ride on the hoods 80% of the time, the flats
15%, and the drops 5%. On my mtn bike I spend all non-technical time on
the bar ends. I'd get some time trial bars but I think cut and
flipped road bars will work better for me.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

in the process of acquiring parts for a still unchosen 29er frame, i
bought 2 different bars at $12.50 each to experiment with-as deviating
from the DOWN THE ROAD drop bars sole experience
as the situation certainly seems impossible to hypothezise with a base
line experience
see universal cycles for the bars layout.
I asked the lower back muscles but they said noooooooooooooooooo
comment without a handson tryout.

i've used both the nashbar and the nitto bars. i found the nashbar
ones more comfortable, actually, b/c the nitto ones have a bit more
drop than i like. i found that i could ride with my hands on the ends
of the nashbar bars more comfortably and w/more control than with the
nitto ones.

on the nashbar bars i had a TT brake, whereas on the nittos i have a
cyclocross interrupter lever mounted up closer to the stem. i assume
that setup would work on the nashbar's as well, so i don't see that
there's any difference b/w the two as far as brakes go.

on the other hand, one difference was that i could not for the life of
me get the nashbar's through a typical quill stem--i had to get an
icon stem w/a removable face plate to use w/the nashbar's. that stem
was so ugly that i eventually got the nittos so i could use a normal
quill stem. (if you have threadless i suppose it doesn't matter.)

sergio wrote:
> Take notice.
> A TT handlebar never allows a variaty of grip positions as a regular
> racing bar. That may be a serious disadvantage.

What about Style Points?
They are considered so daring and cool when parked outside the coffee
shop on an (often brakeless) urban fixie!
http://www.yellowjersey.org/FIXJOHA.JPG
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"autopi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i've used both the nashbar and the nitto bars. i found the nashbar
> ones more comfortable, actually, b/c the nitto ones have a bit more
> drop than i like. i found that i could ride with my hands on the ends
> of the nashbar bars more comfortably and w/more control than with the
> nitto ones.
>
> on the nashbar bars i had a TT brake, whereas on the nittos i have a
> cyclocross interrupter lever mounted up closer to the stem. i assume
> that setup would work on the nashbar's as well, so i don't see that
> there's any difference b/w the two as far as brakes go.
>
> on the other hand, one difference was that i could not for the life of
> me get the nashbar's through a typical quill stem--i had to get an
> icon stem w/a removable face plate to use w/the nashbar's. that stem
> was so ugly that i eventually got the nittos so i could use a normal
> quill stem. (if you have threadless i suppose it doesn't matter.)

Sounds like you used them for time trialing?

My stem on the bike right now is one of those ugly ones with the faceplate,
but the shorter stem is an older style quill. Gets me thinking.

JF

A Muzi wrote:
>> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
>>> Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

> sergio wrote:
>> Take notice.
>> A TT handlebar never allows a variaty of grip positions as a regular
>> racing bar. That may be a serious disadvantage.

> What about Style Points?
> They are considered so daring and cool when parked outside the coffee
> shop on an (often brakeless) urban fixie!
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/FIXJOHA.JPG

May I inquire about the cottered BB spindle device-a-ma-bobber in the
lower right hand corner of the photo?

\\paul

A Muzi wrote:
>> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
>>> Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

> sergio wrote:
>> Take notice.
>> A TT handlebar never allows a variaty of grip positions as a regular
>> racing bar. That may be a serious disadvantage.

> What about Style Points?
> They are considered so daring and cool when parked outside the coffee
> shop on an (often brakeless) urban fixie!
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/FIXJOHA.JPG

Nice. I LOVE these guys:

http://www.myspace.com/fixedgearsareforjerksandlesbians

hahahahahahahahah

Greg

--

Paul Myron Hobson wrote:
> May I inquire about the cottered BB spindle device-a-ma-bobber in the
> lower right hand corner of the photo?

Replaces the broken plastic handle on our Ultimate USA work stand.
hey, we had one handy at the moment so we used it!