Cowhorn Internal cable routing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Erik Mills, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Mills

Erik Mills Guest

I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing. Will
    it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good
    configuration for levers and cable on a cowhorn bar w/o internal routing?

Thanx, -Erik

Tags:

2. Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs Guest

>I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing. Will
    >it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good
    >configuration for levers and cable on a cowhorn bar w/o internal routing?
    >
    >Thanx,

The reversed BMX (or whatever they actually are that all TT riders seem to use) Diacompe
    brake levers allow you to run the cables under the bar tape. In my way of thinking this is a
    decent solution.

jon isaacs

3. Dianne_1234

Dianne_1234 Guest

I recommend against drilling. I've seen several broken bars that broke where holes were drilled.

Instead, use the Dia-Compe 188 levers and route the cables under tape. I've even seen some where the
    right lever is installed on the left (and vice versa) so the cable bulge looks like a trailing
    edge... :)

[email protected] (Erik Mills) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing.
    > Will it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good
    > configuration for levers and cable on a cowhorn bar w/o internal routing?
    >
    > Thanx, -Erik

4. Kinkycowboy

Kinkycowboy Guest

On 24 Jan 2003 11:45:28 -0800, [email protected] (Erik Mills) wrote:

>I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing. Will
    >it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good
    >configuration for levers and cable on a cowhorn bar w/o internal routing?
    >
    >Thanx, -Erik

DiaCompe 188 reverse pull levers send the brake cable along the outside bar in the right direction,
    then just tape over the cables. Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

5. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

I wouldn't. "Erik Mills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing.
    > Will it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good

Although some riders do that, we see the occasional catastrophic failure from drilled bars. When an
    aluminum bar cracks, it goes suddenly, with your weight ,straight down. . .

The popular DiaCompe "inverse" lever was originally used on Japanese domestic schoolboy bikes with
    drilled _steel_ bars.

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

6. Tho X. Bui

Tho X. Bui Guest

Erik Mills wrote:
    >
    >
    May not be the solution you're looking for, but will this
    http://home.earthlink.net/~blahx3/_images/handlebar.jpg work? Obviously, no drilling is necessary.

Tho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.