Cowhorn Internal cable routing

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Erik Mills

I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing. Will
it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good
configuration for levers and cable on a cowhorn bar w/o internal routing?

Thanx, -Erik

>I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing. Will
>it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good
>configuration for levers and cable on a cowhorn bar w/o internal routing?
>
>Thanx,

The reversed BMX (or whatever they actually are that all TT riders seem to use) Diacompe
brake levers allow you to run the cables under the bar tape. In my way of thinking this is a
decent solution.

jon isaacs

I recommend against drilling. I've seen several broken bars that broke where holes were drilled.

Instead, use the Dia-Compe 188 levers and route the cables under tape. I've even seen some where the
right lever is installed on the left (and vice versa) so the cable bulge looks like a trailing
edge... :)

[email protected] (Erik Mills) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing.
> Will it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good
> configuration for levers and cable on a cowhorn bar w/o internal routing?
>
> Thanx, -Erik

On 24 Jan 2003 11:45:28 -0800, [email protected] (Erik Mills) wrote:

>I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing. Will
>it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good
>configuration for levers and cable on a cowhorn bar w/o internal routing?
>
>Thanx, -Erik

DiaCompe 188 reverse pull levers send the brake cable along the outside bar in the right direction,
then just tape over the cables. Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

I wouldn't. "Erik Mills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an old pair of Syntace cowhorn bars that are not configured for internal cable routing.
> Will it completey comprimise their integrity if I drill holes for a cable exit? OR What is a good

Although some riders do that, we see the occasional catastrophic failure from drilled bars. When an
aluminum bar cracks, it goes suddenly, with your weight ,straight down. . .

The popular DiaCompe "inverse" lever was originally used on Japanese domestic schoolboy bikes with
drilled _steel_ bars.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Erik Mills wrote:
>
>
May not be the solution you're looking for, but will this
http://home.earthlink.net/~blahx3/_images/handlebar.jpg work? Obviously, no drilling is necessary.

Tho

Status
Not open for further replies.