CP Graph anomalies

peterwright

Mar 5, 2003
Has anyine else experienced this issue;

If I set up a graph to show various mean maximal NP for various durations (on the chalkboard) then when I cross reference the figures against the actual rides and the max power for the same duration then I find there differences of anywhere from 5w - 15w - always the figures on the graph are overstated compared to the ride report itself.

If I change the graph to report on AP instead of NP then all the figures match up 100%

Any ideas appreciated :confused:

peterwright said:

If I set up a graph to show various mean maximal NP for various durations (on the chalkboard) then when I cross reference the figures against the actual rides and the max power for the same duration then I find there differences of anywhere from 5w - 15w - always the figures on the graph are overstated compared to the ride report itself.

If I change the graph to report on AP instead of NP then all the figures match up 100%

Yeah, I have an idea; because you are comparing NP and AP for the same duration?

sugaken said:
Yeah, I have an idea; because you are comparing NP and AP for the same duration?

No, I am comparing NP on the graph on athletes home or chalkboard with NP from the "peak XXmin" from the ride summary in the graph page - getting 2 diiferent figures.

peterwright said:
No, I am comparing NP on the graph on athletes home or chalkboard with NP from the "peak XXmin" from the ride summary in the graph page - getting 2 diiferent figures.

We went over this a few months ago. Peak XXmin is average power, not NP. Peak NP and peak AP are not necessarily over the same time frame in a given file (though they could be).

-Andy B.

beerco said:
We went over this a few months ago. Peak XXmin is average power, not NP. Peak NP and peak AP are not necessarily over the same time frame in a given file (though they could be).

-Andy B.

Sorry if I am not getting this but .. the peak XX min in the ride data gives me both AP and NP. So , if for example the peak 20 min NP in the ride data is 290 then how can the peak 20 min NP for the same ride be different when displayed in a graph on the home page ?

peterwright said:
Sorry if I am not getting this but .. the peak XX min in the ride data gives me both AP and NP. So , if for example the peak 20 min NP in the ride data is 290 then how can the peak 20 min NP for the same ride be different when displayed in a graph on the home page ?

e.g., peak 10 min AP = 290w and occurs at 29:59 (ride time). Peak 10 min NP = 320w but occurs at 41:22. Capice?

As Beerco says - the 10 min (or whatever duration) you got best AP may not be the same 10 min you got best NP. You can't ask CP for best 10 min NP in the Graph tab, only AP. So it will only show you the NP for that AP interval. MMP chart however will work out what th best NP actually was.

Not sure what durations you're looking at but I wouldn't place much stock in NP figures for short durations anyway due to impact AWC can have. I'd use a minimum of 20-30 mins for any NP assessment, maybe even longer. My best 20min NP is nearly 20% higher than best 20min AP.
peterwright said:

OK - I think I understand now.

The Peak XX min in ride data is AP driven but also showing the NP for that interval. The graph, when I ask it for MMP over XX min using NP will give me the peak NP in the ride - so it is still correct and appropriate to use it to track fitness gains over a series of 6 team rides (as I have done) using NP for the 20 & 60 min durations and AP for the shorter ones.

Thanks.