CR/periodical CR vs. breast cancer

This review study (?) suggests that even periodical CR may prevent
breast cancer.

Arbor

Obes Rev. 2006 Feb;7(1):33-47. Links
Energy balance adiposity and breast cancer - energy restriction
strategies for breast cancer prevention.

Harvie M, Howell A.

CRUK University Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital,
Manchester, UK.

Excess adiposity over the pre- and postmenopausal years is linked to
risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. Weight loss could potentially
reduce risk amongst those with excess weight via beneficial effects on
the hormonal (decreased circulating levels of oestradiol, testosterone,
insulin) and secretory profiles of adipocytes (decreased production of
leptin, tumour necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin 6 and increased
production of adiponectin). Only modest reductions in adipose tissue
are achieved and sustained with current weight loss programmes, which
makes strategies to mitigate the adverse metabolic effect of adiposity
a priority for cancer prevention. The adverse hormonal and secretory
effects of adipose tissue are influenced substantially by acute changes
in energy balance prior to changes in adiposity. Human and animal
studies have shown dietary energy restriction to bring about favourable
changes in circulating levels of insulin, leptin, sex hormone binding
globulin, insulin-like growth factor-1, oestradiol, testosterone,
reactive oxygen species, and the production and secretion of locally
acting adipokines and inflammatory cytokines, that is, increased
adiponectin and decreased interleukin-6. Achieving and sustaining
energy restriction remains a difficult challenge. Intermittent energy
restriction is a potential strategy for promoting periods of energy
restriction on a long-term basis. Animal and human data suggest that
intermittent energy restriction may have cancer preventative effects
beyond that of chronic energy restriction and weight loss. Intermittent
energy restriction may be a potential strategy for the primary
prevention of breast cancer.

PMID: 16436101 [PubMed - in process]

<[email protected]> wrote in message

> Intermittent energy
> restriction is a potential strategy for promoting periods of energy
> restriction on a long-term basis. Animal and human data suggest that
> intermittent energy restriction may have cancer preventative effects
> beyond that of chronic energy restriction and weight loss. Intermittent
> energy restriction may be a potential strategy for the primary
> prevention of breast cancer.

Aren't there people out there who practise 'Every Other Day' nutrition --
i.e. not worrying about 'overall' CR, but just *not eating* on *every second
day*...?

Maybe someone has a good link about this...? It might be the way to go...!

M. D.

You asked:
>Aren't there people out there who practise 'Every Other Day' nutrition --
>i.e. not worrying about 'overall' CR, but just *not eating* on *every second
>day*...?

Yes there are. Prince Charles is one of them, so is Dr. Dean Edell -
the well-known host of a well-known health radio talk show, myself, and
other folks whose posts I have read here and on the 2 newsgroups linked
below. Instead of fasting EOD (every other day) they eat 1 meal/day or
consume their entire daily caloric intake in an eating-window of 4-6
hours.
Then there are people who periodically practice a complete fasting for
few days and others that do that but also add fresh juices. I think
that there is one such newsgroup among the many Yahoo's newsgroups
but you need to search for it if interested.
Arbor

These 2 groups require a membership but you can read their archives as
a guest.
2. http://www.calorierestriction.org/ [the address of the archives of
that group is on #3]
3. http://lists.calorierestriction.org/archives/crsociety.html