Crab Cakes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dog3, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    I made crab cakes for dinner last night. To accompany I steamed some fresh broccoli and made a lemon
    butter sauce. I also made 24 cupcakes (from a boxed cake mix), a dozen blueberry muffins (Martha
    White mix) and I cheated with bisquick and made cheddar chive drop biscuits. I had some frozen
    shrimp in the freezer. I made a quick cocktail sauce and served up shrimp cocktail before dinner. I
    tried a new crab cake recipe and followed the direction exactly (very rare).

    Easy Crab Cakes (clipped from the St. Louis Post Dispatch)

    1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    2/4 cup finely chopped green onion (next time I'm using a scallion)
    3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used Hellman's) 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
    4/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
    5/2 teaspoon garlic powder a dash of cayenne pepper 2 6oz cans of crab meat, drained, juice reserved
    1 medium egg beaten 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs 3 tablespoons of butter

    In bowl, combine red pepper, green onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, seasoned salt, garlic powder and
    cayenne. Stir in the crab, egg and 1/3 of the breadcrumbs (it will be sticky). Divide and form the
    mixture into 4 balls. Roll the crab balls into the remaining bread crumbs, flatten into cakes (1/2
    inch thick). In skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Fry the crab cakes 3-4 minutes per side or
    until golden brown on each side. Makes 4 servings.

    After the crabcakes were done I put them on paper towels to drain and added more butter to the
    skillet. I whipped up a simple roux and added the clam juice, a smidge of cayenne, salt, pepper and
    a tiny bit of lemon juice. Brought to a boil. I didn't serve this, it was God awful. I threw it out
    and made a simple lemon/butter sauce.

    Michael

    Tags:

  2. Thalocean2

    Thalocean2 Guest

    >and I cheated with bisquick and made cheddar chive drop biscuits.

    Care to share the recipe?

    TIA Laura B. LauraATwhoeverDOTcom

  3. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    [email protected] (Thalocean2) deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    >>and I cheated with bisquick and made cheddar chive drop biscuits.
    >
    > Care to share the recipe?
    >
    > TIA Laura B. LauraATwhoeverDOTcom

    Darnit. It's on the bisquick box and I threw it away. I don't remember the recipe except I added
    water, shredded cheddar and fine chopped chives. It's really easy too. I made drop biscuits. If I
    can find the recipe, I'll post it for you.

    Michael

  4. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:36:56 -0000, Dog3
    <[email protected];not> wrote:

    > I made crab cakes for dinner last night.

    FYI: for those who don't have crab available... try grinding up some breast of chicken.

    I'm not fond of fried foods, but son made a concoction last night that was similar to crab cakes -
    with chicken breast meat he ground himself and it was very tasty.

  5. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    [email protected] (Thalocean2) deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    >>Darnit. It's on the bisquick box and I threw it away. I don't remember the recipe except I added
    >>water, shredded cheddar and fine chopped chives. It's really easy too. I made drop biscuits. If I
    >>can find the recipe, I'll post it for you.
    >>
    >>Michael
    >
    > Thank you Laura B

    Here you go Laura. I added to the recipe about 1/2 teaspoon of fresh chopped chives. I did not
    measure the chives.

    Cheese-Garlic Biscuits

    2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
    2/3 cup milk
    3/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 ounces) 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    4/8 teaspoon garlic powder

    5. Heat oven to 450ºF.
    6. Stir Bisquick mix, milk and cheese until soft dough forms. Drop dough by 9 spoonfuls onto
    ungreased cookie sheet.
    7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Stir together butter and garlic powder; brush over
    warm biscuits.

    Michael

    --
    "Beauty is only a light switch away." ~Perkins Library, Duke University, Durham, NC