Crab Cakes

D

Dog3

I made crab cakes for dinner last night. To accompany I steamed some fresh broccoli and made a lemon
butter sauce. I also made 24 cupcakes (from a boxed cake mix), a dozen blueberry muffins (Martha
White mix) and I cheated with bisquick and made cheddar chive drop biscuits. I had some frozen
shrimp in the freezer. I made a quick cocktail sauce and served up shrimp cocktail before dinner. I
tried a new crab cake recipe and followed the direction exactly (very rare).

Easy Crab Cakes (clipped from the St. Louis Post Dispatch)

1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2/4 cup finely chopped green onion (next time I'm using a scallion)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used Hellman's) 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
4/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
5/2 teaspoon garlic powder a dash of cayenne pepper 2 6oz cans of crab meat, drained, juice reserved
1 medium egg beaten 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs 3 tablespoons of butter

In bowl, combine red pepper, green onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, seasoned salt, garlic powder and
cayenne. Stir in the crab, egg and 1/3 of the breadcrumbs (it will be sticky). Divide and form the
mixture into 4 balls. Roll the crab balls into the remaining bread crumbs, flatten into cakes (1/2
inch thick). In skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Fry the crab cakes 3-4 minutes per side or
until golden brown on each side. Makes 4 servings.

After the crabcakes were done I put them on paper towels to drain and added more butter to the
skillet. I whipped up a simple roux and added the clam juice, a smidge of cayenne, salt, pepper and
a tiny bit of lemon juice. Brought to a boil. I didn't serve this, it was God awful. I threw it out
and made a simple lemon/butter sauce.

Michael

>and I cheated with bisquick and made cheddar chive drop biscuits.

Care to share the recipe?

TIA Laura B. LauraATwhoeverDOTcom

[email protected] (Thalocean2) deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

>>and I cheated with bisquick and made cheddar chive drop biscuits.
>
> Care to share the recipe?
>
> TIA Laura B. LauraATwhoeverDOTcom

Darnit. It's on the bisquick box and I threw it away. I don't remember the recipe except I added
water, shredded cheddar and fine chopped chives. It's really easy too. I made drop biscuits. If I
can find the recipe, I'll post it for you.

Michael

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:36:56 -0000, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> I made crab cakes for dinner last night.

FYI: for those who don't have crab available... try grinding up some breast of chicken.

I'm not fond of fried foods, but son made a concoction last night that was similar to crab cakes -
with chicken breast meat he ground himself and it was very tasty.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments

[email protected] (Thalocean2) deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

>>Darnit. It's on the bisquick box and I threw it away. I don't remember the recipe except I added
>>water, shredded cheddar and fine chopped chives. It's really easy too. I made drop biscuits. If I
>>can find the recipe, I'll post it for you.
>>
>>Michael
>
> Thank you Laura B

Here you go Laura. I added to the recipe about 1/2 teaspoon of fresh chopped chives. I did not
measure the chives.

Cheese-Garlic Biscuits

2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
2/3 cup milk
3/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 ounces) 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
4/8 teaspoon garlic powder

5. Heat oven to 450ºF.
6. Stir Bisquick mix, milk and cheese until soft dough forms. Drop dough by 9 spoonfuls onto
ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Stir together butter and garlic powder; brush over
warm biscuits.

Michael

--
"Beauty is only a light switch away." ~Perkins Library, Duke University, Durham, NC