Crack in Cube frame .. AGAIN !!

Cube1959

May 23, 2013
Hi guys

i have a cube agree gtc race 2012 .. I brought it in december 2012 . It was taken back after finding a crack in the seat post , and climb on bikes fitted a new frame .. Over the last few weeks i noticed a loud creek / clicking noise from the crank , Absolute bikes here in buckley took a look , but once again said not worth doing the crank as you have a crack in this frame , this is on the bottom arm chain side , also the rear wheel does not sit even in the frame .. What problems does anyone else have with Cube or simply carbon frames .. I have only done around 1200 miles on it since buying it last December ..

Regards

Rog

Damn! That's some bad luck. I hope Cube takes care of your replacement frame. Again.

Three full carbon bikes with maybe 40K-50K miles total over 6-1/2 seasons. Other than all of them having too much give/flex (and one Easton carbon fork on a Ti frame that was scary flexible)...no issues so far.

I have no experience with Cube.

Bl**dy hell you cover some miles .. Had a call from climbonbikes yesterday , they have fast tracked it through the head guy at cube .. They are sending the frame from the Agree GTC SL .. Which is the super light frame .. As you say unlucky .. I am a photographer , a few years ago i had 2 mk 1 5d's , both developed the same problem , while one was with canon , they said you will have to pay , it was just out of guarantee .. they said it's not a common problem , they the other had the same problem , so a 100% hit rate for a problem not common .. I now have 2 canon mk 2's .. Problems happen from time to time ... Must admit , not sure what i will do if the news one cracks ... Andy at climbonbikes has been great , to be honest i am more than happy .. It has been a pain because it's a 200 mile round trip , but i chose to buy it from them cause i got a good deal ... £1545 for the Agree race Gtc 2012 ...
I'll keep you posted .. Anyway you need to get out and get some more miles in .. LOL ..

"Bl**dy hell you cover some miles"

Yeah, and the older I get, the more I plan to ride. The Douglas has 25K-30K on it. It's an inexpensive frameset, but it really served me well.

" Which is the super light frame .."

I understand the thought of the manufacturer trying to treat you well and upgrade you. Good on them! But...I got to wonder how the lighter (less material, usually higher strength) frames will hold up, especially to any abuse. If the heavier frames are letting go...

It sounds like cube is having QC issues, much like Wilier has/is going thru. I, personally, haven't managed to roach my Wiliers, but my model has already been thru a fork recall. Not exactly confidence inspiring when bombing off a hill at 50 MPH!

"Anyway you need to get out and get some more miles in .. LOL ."

In a hour! Just wrapping up some pasture fence rebuilding. I'm going to do a solo long afternoon ride on a glorious summer day. I hope you have a spare bike to get a ride in.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Bl**dy hell you cover some miles"[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Yeah, and the older I get, the more I plan to ride. The Douglas has 25K-30K on it. It's an inexpensive frameset, but it really served me well.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]"[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] Which is the super light frame .."[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I understand the thought of the manufacturer trying to treat you well and upgrade you. Good on them! But...I got to wonder how the lighter (less material, usually higher strength) frames will hold up, especially to any abuse. If the heavier frames are letting go...[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]It sounds like cube is having QC issues, much like Wilier has/is going thru. I, personally, haven't managed to roach my Wiliers, but my model has already been thru a fork recall. Not exactly confidence inspiring when bombing off a hill at 50 MPH![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]"[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Anyway you need to get out and get some more miles in .. LOL ."[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]In a hour! Just wrapping up some pasture fence rebuilding. I'm going to do a solo long afternoon ride on a glorious summer day. I hope you have a spare bike to get a ride in. [/COLOR]
I am amazed lighter / stronger .. lol .. it had better be .. I'm 53 and took it up again in December , Also brought a Tacx i- genius .. multi player .. amazing bit of kit .. Got it cause i found it for £799 .. A great price to be fair , although alot of cash ..

I will keep my fingers crossed when the new frame goes on .. But it makes me wonder how many people are cycling around with a crack they havn't spotted , Both mine were found by a local bike shop , i keep my bike clean and had seen nothing ...

Just ride ... Rog !!!

" i keep my bike clean and had seen nothing ..."

I think frequent bike cleaning waxing in bright, natural daylight is the best way to inspect any frame/components for damage. We may never find all cracks as the propagate, but hopefully we see most of them and catch them before they cause complete failure.

Post up a pic or two of your new ride when they get it built up.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

" i keep my bike clean and had seen nothing ..."

I think frequent bike cleaning waxing in bright, natural daylight is the best way to inspect any frame/components for damage. We may never find all cracks as the propagate, but hopefully we see most of them and catch them before they cause complete failure.

Post up a pic or two of your new ride when they get it built up.
I will do ... Should be the end of next week ... Rog !

Hi all

New to this site Just thought would add my thoughts.

Bought a cube GTC pro 2012 model in may last year. It is one of three bikes Ride and have found it a pleasure to ride. I upgraded to full Ultegra groupset and Shimano rs80c24 wheels. decided to give it a full service this weekend and very disappointed to find the top bearing seat in the head tube breaking up. As a bike mechanic I know this renders the frame as a write off and hope I'm not facing a long and lengthy warranty process.
Will Keep you all posted to there response and the outcome

rgds

Originally Posted by squirrel1702
Hi all

New to this site Just thought would add my thoughts.

Bought a cube GTC pro 2012 model in may last year. It is one of three bikes Ride and have found it a pleasure to ride. I upgraded to full Ultegra groupset and Shimano rs80c24 wheels. decided to give it a full service this weekend and very disappointed to find the top bearing seat in the head tube breaking up. As a bike mechanic I know this renders the frame as a write off and hope I'm not facing a long and lengthy warranty process.
Will Keep you all posted to there response and the outcome

rgds
We recently had Fuji warranty a carbon Jamis for the same problem (Fuji now distributes Jamis). Now with carbon frames more than anything else, whoever is standing behind the warranty is of primary importance.

oldbobcat said:
We recently had Fuji warranty a carbon Jamis for the same problem (Fuji now distributes Jamis). Now with carbon frames more than anything else, whoever is standing behind the warranty is of primary importance.
Yes.

Back in the day when most of us rode steel frames, it was pretty straightforward to eyeball a frame for alignment, clean brazing and lug work, accurate mitering, and accurate threading and facing, and conclude that it would hold up to our use and abuse. As the technology got more advanced, discernment got more obtuse. I think it started with those lugged and epoxied aluminum frames in the '80s. The interiors of carbon tubes can give you an indication of quality, if you can get a look, but only the manufacturer knows for sure what's going down between those layers of resin and fiber.

A few years ago I stumbled into AliBaba.com, swapped some emails with a Taiwanese export agent, and came up with a plan to import carbon-framed road bikes. When I realized that I'd be the responsible party for warranty and product liability claims, the only man standing between an irate or injured customer and an agent representing a a half-dozen faceless suppliers half way around the world, I put the plan on indefinite hold.

Wilier/Competitive Cyclist just replaced a cracked frame for me, under warranty.

Decades ago, I cracked a 1980's Colnago Super thru the right, rear dropout (a Colnago forged dropout). I suspect bombing RR tracks and racing the **** out of it killed it. It was replaced under warranty with a Colnago Profile CX.

The Wilier cracked on the inside face of the chainstay tube at the tube/dropout joint. I suspect being under-built and/or poor quality control killed it. 8,500 miles, give or take, on the Wilier when it was sent back to CC.

To be fair , both Cube and climb on bikes were fantastic , i think i have simply been unlucky ! .. I did love the look of my old cube frames more , but in some ways this one is better in many ways .. One it's a super light frame now , and now it's black and white , so daft as it sounds , more goes with it .. LOL .. I used to buy all my kit in red and white , now i buy blue , red , etc ..

I have one or two clicks and rattles , the problem is or could be , i have hearing damage so have two hearing aids , so they amplify clicks , if any of you have an aid you will know what i mean , a click can sound like a gun shot .. Cube have changed who paints their frames .. The cracks that people see in their frames could simply be cracks in paint , but they can't take a chance so replace the frame .. I know from having been a sprayer years ago that unless the right amount of adative is used in the paint on plastic etc , then the paint can crack .. Here are a couple of photo's of the new wheels on my tacx

Hi Bob , how's it going m8 !! ... The Tacx is fantastic , now have a 100 lap best around the drome of 32 mins 54 sec !! .. My wife Alyson goes on it when she can't make it swimming .. And my weight is down from 186 lb to 171 lb .. I am sure alot of that is due to the tacx , Did 25 miles on it last week on the lombardy course , Couple of good hills to get to grips with .. I can't give em enough build up !! I was advised by someone who didn't have one , not to bother wasting my money !! .. All i can say is it's teh best £799 i have spent in some time ..

"And my weight is down from 186 lb to 171 lb ."

You are winning!

I still ride plain old Kreitler rollers, but only when I'm absolutely forced to by multiple days of snow on the roads. Some day I will get a Tacx with video or whatever wild next generation of virtual reality trainer they come up with.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
"And my weight is down from 186 lb to 171 lb ."

You are winning!

I still ride plain old Kreitler rollers, but only when I'm absolutely forced to by multiple days of snow on the roads. Some day I will get a Tacx with video or whatever wild next generation of virtual reality trainer they come up with.
Well worth it Bob , my m8 have a nornal trainer and he said he hates just looking at a wall , so dosn't spend much time on it !! I was lucky to find the one i did at the price it was , they havn't had another for sale since i got this , i am sure it was priced up wrong !
What i love is the vids give info about where you are riding , love the virtual racing , and it's great as the turbo adjusts it's self to hills etc .. I know it's a lot of ££££££'s , but hey if it gets used then it has to be worth the outlay ... If it was sat doing nothing then it's a waste .. But i am sure we all have a loft full of waste , total all that and all the stuff we take to the tip .. Started getting my winter clothing together , in fact i'm waiting for the post now , I always buy my cloths on ebay , i look for people selling neally new kit , that way when the weight comes off i can sell it on at hardly any loss , picked up so amazing kit for a fraction of the new cost .. And i have some very nice kit .. A saxo bank bib shorts and shirt , shirt still had tags on , £30 for both .. Two almost new pairs of bibshorts £5 for both !!

I wouldn't think of riding anything other than lugged steel with steel fork, period.

Never once a single problem, not so much as a squeak. That goes for Campy, too.

Originally Posted by arcsinice
I wouldn't think of riding anything other than lugged steel with steel fork, period.

Never once a single problem, not so much as a squeak. That goes for Campy, too.
Now i have had Carbon , i will never go back , i love it !! And i have had some very nice lumps of steel and always lightweight at that , The only lump os steel i will use for cycling now is my Tacx !! .. But that is the great thing these days ! We have so many options , and a choice !!

Just thought i would update with a pic of what i get to train on .. Just need to get the wire , sorted for the laptopl at some point , but it all packs away in under 2 mins .. so not a big deal really ..