Crack in Cube frame .. AGAIN !!

"I wouldn't think of riding anything other than lugged steel with steel fork, period.

Never once a single problem, not so much as a squeak."

I have to agree that steel is the safest material out there. Too bad about the weight, but the ride qualities are usually awesome (at least on the high end steel frames). They all break, eventually, but I prefer the failure mode of steel to aluminum, Ti or carbon.

Like Cube, I got lucky spotting the cracked carbon chainstay. Keeping a clean machine has its benefits.

"That goes for Campy, too."

Hell yeahs!!!!

Well think I'm in for a long battle wth Cube as they regected my claim sa they said this is within tolerance.Have since found a local Cube dealer who has inspected it and said he would not recommend the bike be ridden and gonna contact Cube with his findings.whatch this space

Originally Posted by squirrel1702

Well think I'm in for a long battle wth Cube as they regected my claim sa they said this is within tolerance.Have since found a local Cube dealer who has inspected it and said he would not recommend the bike be ridden and gonna contact Cube with his findings.whatch this space
How old id the bike , where did you buy it , where is the crack , how did you pay for it , cash or credit , if credit you might have a come back with the credit company .. I took mine back to the shop i got it from , which meant a 100 mile round trip , but i have to say they were fantastic , as were Cube , no hastle ... The shop said it didn't look good on them as it was the second frame and wanted it sorted asap .. please let me know the answers above , hope you get it sorted .. Kick up a fuss with the place you got it .

Rog

Bike is 18 months old and bought from Formby Cycles near Liverpool and I live in Reading so not tha easy to get bike back to them LBS has been very good as said would take the claim on and contact Cube but has to have the consent from Formby. Bought it on interest free so will go down that route if no satisfactory solution from Cube. They rejected my original claim having only seen photo's that I had sent to Formby. Pete

Forgot to add the problem is in the headtube top bearing seat. is either a manufacturing fault or has been breaking up . personally I think the firmer as no sign of bits of broken carbon when disassembling

which cube is it , sure they had a problem with their 2012 frames .. Shame you can't get it back to formby , their warranty
guy should then look at it and get it sorted , keep us posted , the other way is do you have it insured , i have
mine insured for 2k , all you need to say is you had a fall ..

Its the Gtc pro. The guy at the local shop is being very good and believes that Cube should replace as its not right. Formby nice as the come across seem to be dragging their heels a bit as has now taken nearly two weeks to contact the Cube Rep or give consent for my local shop to deal with it. Always your last option too.

Hmm see mine is the gtc race pro .. i think they must have had a bad batch of carbon , bad mould something went wrong !!
i would badger em , email after emial phone call after phone call , tell em you will take it further , say you will put your report on bike
radar ..

Yes that is my next plan will also get in touch with the Two biggest Cycle mags. Going phone Formby Cycles now and see what they got to say as last I heard from them on Friday was the were waiting for the Cube rep to get back to them. Surely cant take a week

I will say first time was slower than the second , it took a couple of weeks , maybe a little more , second time Cube said what can we do to keep him happy , They didn't want to give me the Gtc race frame .. So sent the SL frame , it's black and white and not red white and black as before , But all is ok at the moment .. The second frame might not even have been cracked , it could have been the paint , they have changed who paints their frames now !! I am amazed cube won't replace this , as they can't afford to take a chance really ..

I would keep getting on to Formby , but maybe give em till the middle of the week before getting mad with em .. If nothing by mid week ask what is going on ..
I know what it's like to be without the bike , I am looking at a Eddy Merckx EMX525 Ultegra DI2 , but it's 3.5k , so waiting to see if my hearing damage claim comes in lol ..
I would love to get a back up bike , plus my wife could use the cube ..

Just been on to Formby who says still waiting for rep to call back it is now two weeks.Just dont know how cube rejected original claim having only seen pics.Am lucky in the fact that I dont have to stop riding as have three orhers I can ride a Look 586 Specialized Allez and a classic Ralliegh for when weather really bad gready I Know. Will keep hassling them until I get a result and wont settle for anything less or an upgrade as bought so could fit Di2 in the future

Cube can be slow , when i had my problem , the guy i needed was on holiday .. hmm !! 2nd time i kept the bike here and used it on my turbo until climbonbikes said the frame was in , travelled to hereford with my lad , went to the pictures , came out went for dinner , then collected bike .. I am in buckley North wales .. Rog !

I take it yours was a 2012 model also and they obviously replaced with a different model. If so is there much difference Pete

Hi pete

my first one was http://cdn.triathlete-europe.competitor.com/files/2012/06/agree-gtc-race-1024x624.jpg

got to say a stunning looking bike ..

The second was close to it , and this one is black and white SL ... not as striking , but as i have said before , in some ways better , More goes with it as daft as that sounds , I can wear any colour i like ... LOL ..

Mine also striking to look at as not many black white blue bikes around and certainly got some some admiring looks. Rode even better after upgrading wheels to shimano rs80c24 and chainset and brakes to Ultegr around. I get what you meen about any colour will go with it

Lol .. my wife laughs at me , but then said one day you can't wear that colour top with those pants , Oh it's ok when i have to match going out with her .. lol .. I have some great cycling kit now ,, I din't want to be a fat bloke on a bike ... Now lost 2 stones and weigh 168lb .. , I have 3 skin suits that look good on , if someone had said 10 months ago i would dare put something on like that i would have laughed .. And now have my first induction ever at a gym on thursday .. I am almost 54 , But even have to admit myself look closer to 40 .. maybe because my wife is 40 , she keeps me that way ... Really got the bug now .. I do a 50 mile ride each weekend and turbo work in the week .. Did 50 miles this sunday gone in 3 hrs 10 mins .. Not too shabby for the first 10 months ... Next spring i will get to the roundabout by home , head down the hill and start the ride again turning it into a 100 mile trip .. This getting fit feels good ..

Hope you get sorted with the bike m8 .. keep us all posted ..

I got bitten by the bug too got back into cycling two years ago 1bike turned into 2 then 3 & 4 and lots of kit to go with it.Im 47 and doing 50 miles in around 3hrs 5min about the same sort of pace as yourself also qualified as level 2 cycle mechanic recently.so saves a bit on repairs and servicing also good for helping mates with there probs. Will keep you posted as to what happens next. cheers. and the getting fit bit feels fantastic

Argh.. Formby cycles been in touch today and again Cube have rejected my claim saying the frame is within there tolerances.They have only seen pics and haven't seen the bike in the flesh and ignoring what 2 dealers have said.dont know how to go about this now like a little fish against a shark if the manufacturer say ok how can you prove otherwise

Originally Posted by squirrel1702

Argh.. Formby cycles been in touch today and again Cube have rejected my claim saying the frame is within there tolerances.They have only seen pics and haven't seen the bike in the flesh and ignoring what 2 dealers have said.dont know how to go about this now like a little fish against a shark if the manufacturer say ok how can you prove otherwise
I would get in touch with Cube , and tell them to expect a claim if your bike falls apart and you are injured !! But again if you are insured , get it looked at and put it through the insurance .. Hope you get it sorted soon .. Rog