crack in head tube

mongooseboy

Jul 25, 2005
Well i was looking over all my bikes today, and my old mongoose frame has a crack in the headtube. its one of the early walmart sold mongoose aluminum frames, and its too bad it had to crack, i really liked the frame :( Is there any way it could be welded or wouldnt that do much for it? I guess ill be looking for a new frame, even if i find an old steel frame, at least i could build it up. The rest of the bike is superb. I have much better parts on the bike, as the frame is a really good design, except obviously the head tube isnt so good. its over 8 years old so warranty isnt gonna help haha

now i think, wow good thing i bought my gf her own bike yesterday, this frame could have failed on her, that would have been horrible...

you can get a local welder to TIG weld the crack and that will fix the problem. the weld is strong enough to outlast the frame. get the welder to grind the weld down and make it smooth. all you'll have to do is repaint the repaired area. good luck!

bh3733 said:
you can get a local welder to TIG weld the crack and that will fix the problem. the weld is strong enough to outlast the frame. get the welder to grind the weld down and make it smooth. all you'll have to do is repaint the repaired area. good luck!
sounds like ill look around. its not painted, its clear coat, with swirly brush marks in it. I think my dad knows people at work that could weld it, not sure...

id rather not have to buy a new frame. that would suck since i just bought my girlfriend a new bike, she loves it though and I do have enough bikes ;)