crack in the paint or in the frame?

jahona

Feb 23, 2005
How can one tell if a crack in the paint is just in the paint of its in the frame too? I have a crack that goes almost 3/4 the war around the right chainstay, right where the wheel passes through. I'm guessing the frame would've broken by now if the frame was cracked 3/4 the way around the chainstay, but can anyone reassure me of this? :confused: so i can stop panicking :eek:

Paint usually doesn't crack unless the surface it is on cracks. What you need to do is decide if it is a scratch in the paint or a crack. bk

Yeah, its definitely a crack and not a scatch. I sucked it up and scratched the paint off down to the frame at the crack area. It appears to me that the frame is hair crack too. So yeah.....anyone know the warranty coverage of Masi?

bummer .

what model Masi?

same thing happened to a Speacialized that I had. I used steel wool to polish the surface to make sure it was a crack

Its an 04 Masi Gran Corsa. I potentially got some good news this morning. Masi replied to an email I sent them and they have a limited lifetime warranty. They seemed optimistic that I could take it in to the LBS and get it taken care of. However that word "limited" has me a little leery.

jahona said:
Its an 04 Masi Gran Corsa. I potentially got some good news this morning. Masi replied to an email I sent them and they have a limited lifetime warranty. They seemed optimistic that I could take it in to the LBS and get it taken care of. However that word "limited" has me a little leery.
What they usually mean by "limited" is that the crack needs to be due to fair wear and tear, ie if you have had a stack, then the warrenty does not apply.

mikesbytes said:
What they usually mean by "limited" is that the crack needs to be due to fair wear and tear, ie if you have had a stack, then the warrenty does not apply.
Most warranties don't apply to wear either. Only defects in materials and workmanship.