crack rim

wnowak06

Jun 27, 2005
hey everyone

where one of my spokes connects with the rim of my back tire, there is a crack......it is still ridable, but i was wondering for how long... should i stop riding and buy a new rim, or is it ok to use? any help appreciated....

GET A NEW RIM IMMEDIATELY! I busted my ass going at 46 km/hour on the NYC triborough bridge. It ripped off a good portion of my left face (not wearing a helmet). Now, for me safety comes first, and it should come first for you too!

wnowak06 said:
hey everyone

where one of my spokes connects with the rim of my back tire, there is a crack......it is still ridable, but i was wondering for how long... should i stop riding and buy a new rim, or is it ok to use? any help appreciated....
It should not be ridden. The spoke will likely pull from the rim, possibly with catastrophic results.

over the years i've cracked two campy rims at the spoke ferrule area (one was a sigma and one was an omega). the sigma was replaced as soon as the crack was detected, but i decided to let the omega go to see how long it would soldier on as a training wheel.

i reduced the tension on the spoke with the cracked seat area and re-trued the wheel. i put another season on it (maybe 3000 miles) with more and more small cracks radiating from the ferrule and the ferrule, finally, starting to pull thru the alloy rim just a bit. i relaced that wheel last winter sometime and stuck the rim in the basement as a testimony to the strength of the old box section, sew-up rims.

As others have indicated, you may get away with for a while, but it is a risk which is probably not worth taking. What type of rim and lacing are you using? The likelihood of a failure having catastrophic results increases dramatically the lower the spoke count of the rim in question.