Cracked aluminium aero bar extensions - Should I replace them?

guyofthetiger

Nov 14, 2012
I have recently purchased a set of Deda parabolica uno aluminium aero bars from a seller on eBay (paid £30). Upon arrival it appears that both extensions have been severeley over tightened at some point as there is a faint 'crease' running along a portion of both of the extensions, slightly deforming the cross section. Both bars have small cracks, about 2cm long each. As these have recently been purchased I could contact the seller and ask for a refund. The bottom line is: do you think that it could be dangerous to use these bars and is it likely that the extensions will come loose while in use?

How would you feel about one or both of the bar extensions failing while riding? Cracked is not good for any type of handlebar, extensions included. Take some pics and post 'em here. Did the owner say anything about cracks or creases? If not you've got reason for getting your money back via PayPal and returning those bars.

I think you are right, I should send them back. The seller mentioned nothing about the cracks so I think that I should look for another set.

"The bottom line is: do you think that it could be dangerous to use these bars"

If they are cracked, yes.

Can you post macro pics of the areas in question?

I have decided to send the bars back to the seller, would rather not risk injuring myself. Thank you for everyone's response.

Don't ride em, very dangerous, contact ebay, return, get refund ebay does not take kindly to "cheats"

It sounds like the seller was unaware of the damage to the bars. I work on a lot of bikes every day, and it appears that most owners are quite oblivious to the damage that lurks beneath the grime and old grease.

In this case, returning the merchandise, notifying the seller of your intentions and reasons, and quietly agreeing to a refund is the most appropriate course of action. In my book, doing unto others means giving the other guy a decent opportunity to do the right thing.