Cracked frame - Specialized stepped up, now I have upgrade fever

labjr1

Aug 15, 2011
Newbie in the sport - 1 month ago I bought a 2008 Specialized Tarmac Elite on ebay. I did not notice a small crack in the top tube until a couple of weeks after I bought it. I rode the bike less than 100 miles until the crack became "cracks" on both sides of the top tube and began to grow. I knew I had been scammed with my ebqay purchase but also knew that it was too late to return the bike. I went to my local bike shop and talked with them about purchasing a new frame so that I would have a warranty and know that I was not getting ripped off. They called Specialized, explained the situation and asked if they would give me a "crash warranty" even though I was not the original buyer. Specialized agreed and I am now waiting on my new Tarmac SL4 Pro Frame to arrive (should be here by the end of the week). The problem is that since I am getting a much nicer frame, I feel like it should be sporting nicer components that the Shimano 105 equipment that came on my original Tarmac. I like the internal routing of the cables on the SL4 and am looking for direction on what equipment will keep that sleek "hidden" look. I cannot find a clear answer on the Shimano site. Do the Ultegra of Dura Ace components allow for hiding the cables and are they worth the upgrade price (bang for buck) vs. 2008 105 components?

Still not bad seeing as you are not the original owner. The newer Shimano components have better cable hiding features. The shifting cable are now routed under the bar tape along with the brake cables. Although there are some capatability issues across the two families. Upgrades are nice but IMO you will end up spending more than you will get in return.