cracked headtube

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bicyclette, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Bicyclette

    Bicyclette Guest

    I recently replaced my road AL frame after I noticed a hairline crack at the front of the headtube,
    starting at the top going down half way on a 58cm frame. This happened after about 7-8 years. Is
    this a common occurance? Would it be caused by the angle of the stem and body weight placed on
    profile bars? I would have thought that shouldn't be a factor since the stem sits inside the steerer
    tube with this 1inch threaded headset config.

    Tags:

  2. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    a pic would be helpful.

    aluminum has no fatigue limit, so cracking after an extended period is not unusual. some frames are
    better than others. either way, stop riding it!