Cracked shifter

amazinmets73

Aug 11, 2010
I took a tumble on some black ice today and cracked my right shifter; it's still functional (I rode home 4 miles after the accident) but it's very difficult to shift due to the damaged area swaying back and forth every time I upshift. It will obviously have to be replaced. Some questions: 1. Can it be repaired? If not, what parts are salvageable? 2. When I replace the shifter, (I have another Chorus right shifter that I'll have the LBS wrench install) will I need new bar tape? 3. Are Campagnolo shifters more susceptible to cracking than Shimano or Sram? I have a bike with Sram that I've dropped several times over the last year without damaging the shifters.

Bury it with honors...

0.jpg

I've seen shimaNo shifters folded up like Japanese origami. They all will end up in that big Spare Parts Box In The Sky if the landing is stuck and the judge from Vulgaria awards a 9.5.

Campy carbon levers and nylon shift blades are usually the parts I've seen that bit it. I don't think I can recall seeing a housing that incurred more than some serious road rash.

It can be rebuilt. Ochsner stocks the pieces parts. Peter Vecchio in Colorado rebuilds Campy shifters if you lack the mechanical expertise and tools to do it yourself. If the bar tape is not damaged it can be re-used.

I though about riding today...thought about it. It was 5 degrees this morning and now up to 26...but, lots of ice still on the shaded parts of the road.

Is rebuilding it cost prohibitive? You can find used Chorus right shifters for 60-100 on ebay. The bike is my sole means of transportation, so I have no choice! Forecast low of 6 degrees Monday, should be a blast!

By the time you add up the cost of a stripped lever body, shipping (if you can't do the job yourself) the parts off to Peter Vecchio or some other Campy rebuilder and then pay Peter (or rob Paul?) it gets to the point of just going to eBay or one of the websites and buying a new one being much easier and just about a wash, money wise.

You might try calling BTI and seeing what they want for their stuff...pieces parts or a complete lever.
http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/SH/SHSP/CP/CP530?page=1

The good thing about many retailers and eBay nowadays is that you can find a single, matching, brake/shifter assembly without getting ass raped.

Thus, my posting of the Doc McCoy video. If the lever blade, shift button and internals (springs, etc.) were in good shape I would keep the trashed lever as spare parts and a reminder to have the old racer's axiom tattooed on your arm:

Motor gently through the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon!

Wait! Wut?!?!

I just read that! 6° and you are going to ride again? In the Impending Superbowl Death Blizzard of Doom® !?! Holy ****!

We're supposed to get 3" to 12" (depending on which weather scare-man you listen to) starting tonight and going into Monday morning here in Ohio. Our roads are already treacherous with slush, ice, new pot holes and tons of salt and road grit.

I hope you don't have far to commute! Stay warm and lock that thing in a 70" gear and hang on!

CAMPYBOB said:
Wait! Wut?!?! I just read that! 6° and you are going to ride again? In the Impending Superbowl Death Blizzard of Doom® !?! Holy ****! We're supposed to get 3" to 12" (depending on which weather scare-man you listen to) starting tonight and going into Monday morning here in Ohio. Our roads are already treacherous with slush, ice, new pot holes and tons of salt and road grit. I hope you don't have far to commute! Stay warm and lock that thing in a 70" gear and hang on!
What else am I going to do, get a car? I don't think so! I have a 20 mile round trip.

Not a Campy expert but every time I get blitzed and fall off my bike the bike falls on the side
big-smile.png
the only thing that happens is the shifter moving a bit on the handlebar. Usually just making the clamp loose a bit and re-tightening in the correct position fixes it.

How did you manage to brake the whole rear assembly??? What kind of a knock was that?

Anyway, you are lucky. It's Campy. There are parts available, (if you can find them though, which is a problem here, but they are available.)

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
We're supposed to get 3" to 12" (depending on which weather scare-man you listen to) starting tonight and going into Monday morning here in Ohio.

You are??? Oh man!
big-smile.png
(From today's ride.
big-smile.png
)

Quote by Mets:
"What else am I going to do, get a car?"

Er...yeah...heater...defroster...heated seats...cup holder for your coffee...All Wheel Drive. I 'might' make it into town through the 2' deep drifts if I had one of those fat tire bikes, but I would arrive at work looking like I had just finished the Iditarod.

Quote by Volnix:
"From today's ride."

I hate you and I hope Angela Merkel comes to collect on the loans you owe for your shimaNO components! That seaside scene looks inviting.

So far, only about 1/2" of snow. That's...uh...12.7 MM for you Euro types. There's just light flurries in the air now, but two more bands of snow are on the radar. Like JH says...it's good weather to ski in!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
I hate you and I hope Angela Merkel comes to collect on the loans you owe for your shimaNO components! That seaside scene looks inviting.

I'm paying either way.
sad.png
They came with the bike!
big-smile.png

Just come over and enjoy!
smile.png

0.jpg

Originally Posted by amazinmets73

Is rebuilding it cost prohibitive? You can find used Chorus right shifters for 60-100 on ebay.

The bike is my sole means of transportation, so I have no choice! Forecast low of 6 degrees Monday, should be a blast!
Really cold weather will crack plastic.