Cracking knees?

HellonWheels

Aug 1, 2003
I've had this for many years and its never really bothered me...but since returning to daily cycling, I have notived my knees "pop" a lot after a strenuous ride, and they make cracking sounds. If I put my hand on my knee while raising it, I can feel the cracking going on.

Anyone know what this is???? TIA.

Could be degeneration of the meniscii, the slippery cartilagenous discs that separate and cushion the tibia against the femur. Consult an anatomy book as a visual aid.

Could be also joint mice, aka Osteochondritis Dissecans. Visit GOOGLE.COM. It consists of fragments of the menscii free floating within the synovial joint space.

Originally posted by kokopuffs
Could be degeneration of the meniscii, the slippery cartilagenous discs that separate and cushion the tibia against the femur. Consult an anatomy book as a visual aid.

Could be also joint mice, aka Osteochondritis Dissecans. Visit GOOGLE.COM. It consists of fragments of the menscii free floating within the synovial joint space.

I'm a new comer to cycling after over 20 years of running. I started riding in an attempt to save my knees. Since buying my bike in June, I've been riding approximately 100 miles per week and have noticed pain in my right knee under the kneecap and along the right, outside portion of the knee. With ice it is very managable. I've never really had the bike fitted and am wondering if the pain may be due to some type of misallignment of my seat and peddles. I do tend to be a masher with a tendency to push big gears rather than spin. I would assume that this is a problem and I'm trying to fix that one. Any feedback would be appreciated!:(

Originally posted by mfbarnes
I'm a new comer to cycling after over 20 years of running. I started riding in an attempt to save my knees. Since buying my bike in June, I've been riding approximately 100 miles per week and have noticed pain in my right knee under the kneecap and along the right, outside portion of the knee. With ice it is very managable. I've never really had the bike fitted and am wondering if the pain may be due to some type of misallignment of my seat and peddles. I do tend to be a masher with a tendency to push big gears rather than spin. I would assume that this is a problem and I'm trying to fix that one. Any feedback would be appreciated!:(
>>>

According to the sports med articles I've read online, your problem (and mine, until recently, knock on wood) is caused by one or more of several factors:

Improper bike fit, esp. seat height

letting the knees move a lot while cycling (keep toes in a bit and knees closer together)

Using big gears too much

Too much uphill work esp. when not ready for it yet. I have to walk my bike up hills and only do hills in little segments, and in low gears.

Good luck! What finally worked for me was keeping the knees close together and toes in a bit. And, not using your knees for energy but putting all your enegy on the ball of the feet and toes.

Years ago I got into cycling for the same reason you did...I had been a runner, and my knees were getting messed up. My dr recommended a switch to cycling, and my knees never bothered me until a few months ago, after my return to cycline (after 22 yr absence.)

I realized another thing: years ago I cycled in a major city with all flat streets. Now, in the burbs, I have hills to contend with and that also added to my problem now.

Chondromalacia Patella, where the kneecap rubs against the groove into which it's tracking, perhaps.

Thanks for the feedback. I just returned from a ride and tried to utilize the suggestions and they seem to have helped. I worked hard to keep my knees as close to the bar as possible while riding and realized that I have a real tendency to really spread my knees to get a big push on the peddles. I also tried to spin rather than push the bigger gears. I did 45 kms and was able to maintain a pace of 28 kph. It was a pretty steady rain for 3/4 of the ride and it was actually pretty fun! Of course, living in Sarasota, FL it was pretty flat throughout! Thanks again for the assistance.

Consider joint repair supplements such as shark cartilage, glucosamine and chondrointin.

My knees pop heaps, but I've never considered it a problem.
I do know that I suffer from my ITB being too strong and pulling my patella outwards.
Do many other riders have this diagnosis from a Physio or GP?

Brian