Crackling in Rear Wheel/Hub

Trevorm

Guest
Hi guys,

I've just started to notice that there is come crackling happening, I believe in my rear XT
hub. I took the wheel off and spun the wheel and it's not as smooth as it was before. I was
also noticing that when i have the bike suspended for servicing, when the rear wheel is
moving forward, it also makes the pedals start to move also. If I can remember the pedals are
ONLY supposed to move if you spin the wheels backwards? Is this going to be a costly fix?
Thanks a lot! :)

--Trevor--

TrevorM wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've just started to notice that there is come crackling happening, I believe in my rear XT
> hub. I took the wheel off and spun the wheel and it's not as smooth as it was before. I was
> also noticing that when i have the bike suspended for servicing, when the rear wheel is moving
> forward, it also makes the pedals start to move also. If I can remember the pedals are ONLY
> supposed to move if you spin the wheels backwards? Is this going to be a costly fix? Thanks a
> lot! :)

How do you define 'costly'? :)

Umm, say around and over $200CAD. :)

Then again I've had the same hub for some years now, I guess it maybe time for a new one. If
that is the case, if it more expensive to get just a new hub or get a whole new rear wheel set?
Thanks a lot!

--Trevor--

TrevorM wrote:

>> How do you define 'costly'? :)
> Umm, say around and over $200CAD. :)

It shouldn't cost more than that. I upgraded to 8 speed last year, and I think it was about 40 Eur
for the freehub, and then about the same for the labour. That's about $120CAD if my calculations
serve me right. Of course, prices for parts and labour are going to be different on the other side
of the pond.

> Then again I've had the same hub for some years now, I guess it maybe time for a new one. If
> that is the case, if it more expensive to get just a new hub or get a whole new rear wheel
> set? Thanks a lot!

May well be worth your while getting the whole new rear wheel. I doubt it will be much more.

"TrevorM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi guys,
>
> I've just started to notice that there is come crackling happening, I believe in my rear XT
> hub. I took the wheel off and spun the wheel and it's not as smooth as it was before. I was
> also noticing that when i have the bike suspended for servicing, when the rear wheel is moving
> forward, it also makes the pedals start to move also. If I can remember the pedals are ONLY
> supposed to move if you spin the wheels backwards? Is this going to be a costly fix? Thanks a
> lot! :)

The crappy shitano freehub body is toast. Expect to pay around $50 ($200 canadian) for a new one.

JD