Crackling in Rear Wheel/Hub

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trevorm, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Trevorm

    Trevorm Guest

    Hi guys,

    I've just started to notice that there is come crackling happening, I believe in my rear XT
    hub. I took the wheel off and spun the wheel and it's not as smooth as it was before. I was
    also noticing that when i have the bike suspended for servicing, when the rear wheel is
    moving forward, it also makes the pedals start to move also. If I can remember the pedals are
    ONLY supposed to move if you spin the wheels backwards? Is this going to be a costly fix?
    Thanks a lot! :)

    --Trevor--

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    TrevorM wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I've just started to notice that there is come crackling happening, I believe in my rear XT
    > hub. I took the wheel off and spun the wheel and it's not as smooth as it was before. I was
    > also noticing that when i have the bike suspended for servicing, when the rear wheel is moving
    > forward, it also makes the pedals start to move also. If I can remember the pedals are ONLY
    > supposed to move if you spin the wheels backwards? Is this going to be a costly fix? Thanks a
    > lot! :)

    How do you define 'costly'? :)

  3. Trevorm

    Trevorm Guest

    Umm, say around and over $200CAD. :)

    Then again I've had the same hub for some years now, I guess it maybe time for a new one. If
    that is the case, if it more expensive to get just a new hub or get a whole new rear wheel set?
    Thanks a lot!

    --Trevor--

    > How do you define 'costly'? :)

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    TrevorM wrote:

    >> How do you define 'costly'? :)
    > Umm, say around and over $200CAD. :)

    It shouldn't cost more than that. I upgraded to 8 speed last year, and I think it was about 40 Eur
    for the freehub, and then about the same for the labour. That's about $120CAD if my calculations
    serve me right. Of course, prices for parts and labour are going to be different on the other side
    of the pond.

    > Then again I've had the same hub for some years now, I guess it maybe time for a new one. If
    > that is the case, if it more expensive to get just a new hub or get a whole new rear wheel
    > set? Thanks a lot!

    May well be worth your while getting the whole new rear wheel. I doubt it will be much more.

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "TrevorM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I've just started to notice that there is come crackling happening, I believe in my rear XT
    > hub. I took the wheel off and spun the wheel and it's not as smooth as it was before. I was
    > also noticing that when i have the bike suspended for servicing, when the rear wheel is moving
    > forward, it also makes the pedals start to move also. If I can remember the pedals are ONLY
    > supposed to move if you spin the wheels backwards? Is this going to be a costly fix? Thanks a
    > lot! :)

    The crappy shitano freehub body is toast. Expect to pay around $50 ($200 canadian) for a new one.

    JD