Crackpot drivers

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Martin Richardson, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Tags:

  2. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

  3. J Smith

    J Smith Guest

    "so this isn't April 1 story? "

    Seems not the company who own the Nav system have amended the route:-0

    In fact, quite a few routes could be a bit iffy IMO. Certainly route
    finders on the Internet are full of flaws. In my own area some car
    routes given take you on bridleways & footpaths :-0 Bit bumpy to say
    the least. Also Microsoft Autoroute makes the same mistakes ( not
    surprised there though).

    JS

  4. Bob Hobden

    Bob Hobden Guest

    "J Smith" wrote
    > "so this isn't April 1 story? "
    >
    > Seems not the company who own the Nav system have amended the route:-0
    >
    > In fact, quite a few routes could be a bit iffy IMO. Certainly route
    > finders on the Internet are full of flaws. In my own area some car
    > routes given take you on bridleways & footpaths :-0 Bit bumpy to say
    > the least. Also Microsoft Autoroute makes the same mistakes ( not
    > surprised there though).

    About 8 years ago when we first had a car fitted with SatNav it took us down
    what turned out to be a private drive and into a large back garden with the
    intention of then taking us to the main road through the five bar garden
    gate! It also took us down roads that weren't tarmac, more like BOATS, but
    also showed us some shortcuts locally we didn't know about.
    We have seen the data bases ( http://www.navteq.com/ ) improved greatly over
    that time but they still need more checking on the ground and I have often
    wondered why they don't have a facility to tell them when they have it
    wrong.

    --
    Regards
    Bob

  5. Alan Dicey

    Alan Dicey Guest

    The Reid wrote:
    > Following up to Martin Richardson
    >
    >> Http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4879026.stm
    >>
    >> GSP/Satnav story - I walked around there recently and found the stoat
    >> traps more scary.

    > so this isn't April 1 story?

    No. As a simple test, looking up Crackpot in Streetmap gets you this page.

    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=397500&ay=496500

    where the road is shown as a yellow from Crackpot to Summer Lodge and a
    white thereafter, to the junction with the yellow on Summer Lodge Moor.

    Look for Gunnerside in Mapquest (doesn't recognise Crackpot as a place)
    and you will see that Mapquest marks the same road as continuous to the
    junction, even at highest magnification. Autoroute 2004 does the same
    thing.