Crackpot drivers

Following up to Martin Richardson

>Http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4879026.stm
>
>GSP/Satnav story - I walked around there recently and found the stoat
>traps more scary.

so this isn't April 1 story?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

"so this isn't April 1 story? "

Seems not the company who own the Nav system have amended the route:-0

In fact, quite a few routes could be a bit iffy IMO. Certainly route
finders on the Internet are full of flaws. In my own area some car
routes given take you on bridleways & footpaths :-0 Bit bumpy to say
the least. Also Microsoft Autoroute makes the same mistakes ( not
surprised there though).

JS

"J Smith" wrote
> "so this isn't April 1 story? "
>
> Seems not the company who own the Nav system have amended the route:-0
>
> In fact, quite a few routes could be a bit iffy IMO. Certainly route
> finders on the Internet are full of flaws. In my own area some car
> routes given take you on bridleways & footpaths :-0 Bit bumpy to say
> the least. Also Microsoft Autoroute makes the same mistakes ( not
> surprised there though).

About 8 years ago when we first had a car fitted with SatNav it took us down
what turned out to be a private drive and into a large back garden with the
intention of then taking us to the main road through the five bar garden
gate! It also took us down roads that weren't tarmac, more like BOATS, but
also showed us some shortcuts locally we didn't know about.
We have seen the data bases ( http://www.navteq.com/ ) improved greatly over
that time but they still need more checking on the ground and I have often
wondered why they don't have a facility to tell them when they have it
wrong.

--
Regards
Bob

The Reid wrote:
> Following up to Martin Richardson
>
>> Http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4879026.stm
>>
>> GSP/Satnav story - I walked around there recently and found the stoat
>> traps more scary.

> so this isn't April 1 story?

No. As a simple test, looking up Crackpot in Streetmap gets you this page.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=397500&ay=496500

where the road is shown as a yellow from Crackpot to Summer Lodge and a
white thereafter, to the junction with the yellow on Summer Lodge Moor.

Look for Gunnerside in Mapquest (doesn't recognise Crackpot as a place)
and you will see that Mapquest marks the same road as continuous to the
junction, even at highest magnification. Autoroute 2004 does the same
thing.