Cracks in Tire

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jwroubaix, Jul 2, 2011.

1. jwroubaix

jwroubaix New Member

Inspecting my tires this morning i noticed numerous small cracks in the sidewall a few on the center of the tire. The tires are 1 year old with about 700 miles on them. Are these cracks okay or do the tires need to be replaced?

Tags:

2. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Do you mean little tiny cracks like dry rot cracks or something else?

Those tires aren't old (unless they spent several years sitting on a shelf somewhere /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif ) and really don't have many miles on them.

What kind of tires are they?

3. jwroubaix

jwroubaix New Member

The tires Micheline Lithion, they do appear to be dry cracks. The tires are really only 1 year old and they haven't been sitting.

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Tires have a shelf life of 4 to 5 years from the date of manufacture. You might have not had these tires sitting on the shelf at home, but it is likely that they were sitting on the shelf in a distribution center or at a store somewhere for a couple of years. The rubber in tires deteriorates over time due to environmental conditions. Things like UV and IR light contribute to the breakdown, as does de-icing chemicals used in the winter. Even radon and petroleum products can accelerate the breakdown. If you store your bike outdoors or ride on snowy streets, then your tires are not going to last as long as those that are

Most retailers will not hold onto a tire for more than six months. If it doesn't move in that time period, they put it on special, and if it still doesn't move, then they make it a clearance item and cut 50% or more off the price. Sometines and item gets missed or they get shuffled to the back of a bin in a warehouse and are not found until a physical inventory takes place.

5. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

You might want to take your bike to the shop where you bought the tires and show them the cracks. Maybe they would give you some kind of pro-rated discount on a new set.

Just for comparison, I bought the tires on my C-Dale 2 years ago and have almost 5000 miles on them. They don't have any cracking on them, just normal road wear.