Craig SuperLink

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris Zacho "Th, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Who's making the original SuperLink now? I hear Craig Metalcraft is not, but they sold the right's
    to someone else. I don't want a snap on single use rip-off copy either.

    Does anybody here know who sells them?

    TIA

  2. Chris Zacho The Wheelman asked:

    > Who's making the original SuperLink now?

    SRAM. They call it the "Powerlink."

    > I hear Craig Metalcraft is not, but they sold the right's to someone else.

    Right, SRAM makes 'em under license.

    > I don't want a snap on single use rip-off copy either.

    Nah, those are stoopit.

    > Does anybody here know who sells them?

    We've got 'em, 5 bucks.

    Sheldon "Reusable" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------+
    | Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has | seen and thinking what no one else has
    | thought. |
    | - Albert Szent-Gyorgi |
    +-------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > Chris Zacho The Wheelman asked:
    >
    > > Who's making the original SuperLink now?
    >
    > SRAM. They call it the "Powerlink."
    >
    > > I hear Craig Metalcraft is not, but they sold the right's to someone else.
    >
    > Right, SRAM makes 'em under license.
    >
    > > I don't want a snap on single use rip-off copy either.
    >
    > Nah, those are stoopit.
    >
    > > Does anybody here know who sells them?
    >
    > We've got 'em, 5 bucks.
    >
    > Sheldon "Reusable" Brown

    This is funny! When I asked someone about the SRAM Powerlink, he said, "Oh no, you need to get the
    Craig Superlink. The SRAM link is not anywhere near as good!"

    Thanks for the info.

    Pat

  4. Pat wrote:
    > x-no-archive:yes
    >

    >>Chris Zacho The Wheelman asked:
    >>

    >>>Who's making the original SuperLink now?
    >>
    >>SRAM. They call it the "Powerlink."
    >>

    >>>I hear Craig Metalcraft is not, but they sold the right's to someone else.
    >>
    >>Right, SRAM makes 'em under license.
    >>

    >>>I don't want a snap on single use rip-off copy either.
    >>
    >>Nah, those are stoopit.
    >>

    >>>Does anybody here know who sells them?
    >>
    >>We've got 'em, 5 bucks.
    >>
    >>Sheldon "Reusable" Brown
    >

    > This is funny! When I asked someone about the SRAM Powerlink, he said, "Oh no, you need to get the
    > Craig Superlink. The SRAM link is not anywhere near as good!"

    I used to sell the Craig Superlink, back when they were (sporadically) available. Now I sell the
    SRAM Power Link. I have not noticed any important difference betwixt the twain.

    Sheldon "Same Difference" Brown +---------------------------------------------+
    | Television: | A medium. So called because it is | neither rare nor well done. | --Ernie
    | Kovacs |
    +---------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  5. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > Chris Zacho The Wheelman asked:
    >
    > > Who's making the original SuperLink now?
    >
    > SRAM. They call it the "Powerlink."

    Not quite. The original is still the "Superlink".

    > > I hear Craig Metalcraft is not, but they sold the right's to someone else.
    >
    > Right, SRAM makes 'em under license.

    Forster makes them under license from Bob Lickton. SRAM does the same.

    > > I don't want a snap on single use rip-off copy either.
    >
    > Nah, those are stoopit.
    >
    > > Does anybody here know who sells them?
    >
    > We've got 'em, 5 bucks.

    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    > Pat wrote:
    > > x-no-archive:yes
    > >

    > >>Chris Zacho The Wheelman asked:

    > >>SRAM. They call it the "Powerlink."

    > >>Right, SRAM makes 'em under license.

    > >>Nah, those are stoopit.

    > >>We've got 'em, 5 bucks.
    > >>
    > >>Sheldon "Reusable" Brown
    > >

    > > This is funny! When I asked someone about the SRAM Powerlink, he said,
    "Oh
    > > no, you need to get the Craig Superlink. The SRAM link is not anywhere
    near
    > > as good!"
    >
    > I used to sell the Craig Superlink, back when they were (sporadically) available. Now I sell the
    > SRAM Power Link. I have not noticed any important difference betwixt the twain.

    Ah, but there is. SRAM Powerlinks are not made to the same spec's. as Superlinks (the details of
    which I do not have handy, sorry).

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  7. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:11:51 -0500, "Paul J Pharr" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The SuperLink III for 10's clicked and bound up coming off the top of the cassette. I had 2, both
    >started about 500 miles or less. I've been pleased with the IRD, but I run a 12t and/or 13t.

    I'd venture a guess that if you use the 11t cog from a 9sp cassette, the IRD link would work fine.

  8. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:24:09 GMT, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> This is funny! When I asked someone about the SRAM Powerlink, he said, "Oh no, you need to get
    >> the Craig Superlink. The SRAM link is not anywhere near as good!"
    >
    >I used to sell the Craig Superlink, back when they were (sporadically) available. Now I sell the
    >SRAM Power Link. I have not noticed any important difference betwixt the twain.

    Sheldon, you disappoint me. There IS a difference. The Super Link (two words) is now manufactured by
    Forster Tool & Manufacturing, 1001 Fairway Drive, Bensonville, IL 60106 (http://forstertool.com).
    From close side-by-side inspection with a magnifying glass it is indistinguishable from those
    manufactured by Craig.

    The big difference, the Powerlink can only be released by squeezing the sideplates together and then
    sliding the pins toward each other. Sometimes grit makes this almost impossible, thus people often
    have to resort to Channellocks to force them apart. The Super Link just slides apart with little
    effort required, at least that's been my experience.

    One source of Super Links:

    http://www.lickbike.com/i0338150.htm

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Paul J Pharr <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> So do we for 8s and 9s..what do you use for 10s?(do you sell them?) We
    >tried
    >> IRD but it skips on the 11t, we are 'trying' the Connex one but don't have
    >good
    >> feedback.
    >>
    >> Peter Chisholm
    >
    >The SuperLink III for 10's clicked and bound up coming off the top of the cassette.

    My SuperLink III for 9s clicked like crazy on a Campy 9s chain and Campy cogset. SRAM link that
    replaced it works perfectly.

  10. Pete Grey

    Pete Grey Guest

    I've had the exact opposite experience with my Superlink III. It's functioned fine for several
    thousand miles on my 10-sp setup. I'm running a 13-26. Who doesn't wish SRAM would come out with a
    10 speed chain thou'!

    -pete

    "Paul J Pharr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > So do we for 8s and 9s..what do you use for 10s?(do you sell them?) We
    > tried
    > > IRD but it skips on the 11t, we are 'trying' the Connex one but don't
    have
    > good
    > > feedback.
    > >
    > > Peter Chisholm
    >
    > The SuperLink III for 10's clicked and bound up coming off the top of the cassette. I had 2, both
    > started about 500 miles or less. I've been pleased with the IRD, but I run a 12t and/or 13t.
    >
    > Paul J Pharr

  11. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<T8RJa.10049

    > Ah, but there is [a difference]. SRAM Powerlinks are not made to the same spec's. as Superlinks
    > (the details of which I do not have handy, sorry).

    So- do you mean specs, as in powerlinks are *meant* to be made differently, or are the powerlinks
    just held to laxer tolerances? if it was the tolerances- that woudl explain my experiences in the
    last year or so. of a dozen pc-48s, all with 'identical' 8s powerlinks, four have been
    groovy-easy, two have been thoguht-provoking, and six have been ridiculously difficult- maybe
    impossible- to do by hand.

    i thoguht i was just getting soft in my old age, but then i got another groovy-easy link yesterday.

    i wrote to sram. they claimed they were all the same, but i should send them the 'stiff' links. i
    will, and ill post what they say.

    anthony

    btw- of the 'groovy-easy' variety, i have yet to have a problem, yet to break one, yet to have a
    problem using them with a variety of chains (not just SRAM). i just wish they were all easy.

  12. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<T8RJa.10049
    >

    > > Ah, but there is [a difference]. SRAM Powerlinks are not made to the
    same spec's. as
    > > Superlinks (the details of which I do not have handy, sorry).
    >
    > So- do you mean specs, as in powerlinks are *meant* to be made differently, or are the powerlinks
    > just held to laxer tolerances? if it was the tolerances- that woudl explain my experiences in the
    > last year or so. of a dozen pc-48s, all with 'identical' 8s powerlinks, four have been
    > groovy-easy, two have been thoguht-provoking, and six have been ridiculously difficult- maybe
    > impossible- to do by hand.

    What I mean is that SRAM licenses the design, and builds them to their own spec's to fit their
    chains. SRAM claims they are to fit SRAM chains only. Super Links, on the other hand, are made with
    tolerances to fit 7/8sp chains, 9sp, and 10sp chains of various manufactures. This might explain the
    tightness found on Powerlinks and some complaints of clicking from others with Super links.

    > i thoguht i was just getting soft in my old age, but then i got another groovy-easy link
    > yesterday.
    >
    > i wrote to sram. they claimed they were all the same, but i should send them the 'stiff' links. i
    > will, and ill post what they say.
    >
    > anthony
    >
    > btw- of the 'groovy-easy' variety, i have yet to have a problem, yet to break one, yet to have a
    > problem using them with a variety of chains (not just SRAM). i just wish they were all easy.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  13. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Sheldon, you disappoint me. There IS a difference. The Super Link (two words) is now manufactured
    > by Forster Tool & Manufacturing, 1001 Fairway Drive, Bensonville, IL 60106
    > (http://forstertool.com). From close side-by-side inspection with a magnifying glass it is
    > indistinguishable from those manufactured by Craig.

    This is not true. The Craig link has longer ends, but more importantly, the "keyhole" detent is
    ramped, making disengagement much easier. I never had one spontaneously disengage either, as some
    have reported with the SRAM. I have had several recently that wouldn't close on brand new PC-48
    chains that they came with, even when using pliers. One that I finally managed to close was so
    stiff as to be unusable. I think SRAM "improved" the design (negatively), and has rather severe
    tolerance problems.

    > The big difference, the Powerlink can only be released by squeezing the sideplates together and
    > then sliding the pins toward each other. Sometimes grit makes this almost impossible, thus people
    > often have to resort to Channellocks to force them apart. The Super Link just slides apart with
    > little effort required, at least that's been my experience.

    That's been my experience as well, examining both designs under magnification revealed significant
    differences. The SRAM modifications just don't work as well.

  14. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:17:48 GMT, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Sheldon, you disappoint me. There IS a difference. The Super Link (two words) is now manufactured
    >> by Forster Tool & Manufacturing, 1001 Fairway Drive, Bensonville, IL 60106
    >> (http://forstertool.com). From close side-by-side inspection with a magnifying glass it is
    >> indistinguishable from those manufactured by Craig.
    >
    >This is not true. The Craig link has longer ends, but more importantly, the "keyhole" detent is
    >ramped, making disengagement much easier. I never had one spontaneously disengage either, as some
    >have reported with the SRAM. I have had several recently that wouldn't close on brand new PC-48
    >chains that they came with, even when using pliers. One that I finally managed to close was so
    >stiff as to be unusable. I think SRAM "improved" the design (negatively), and has rather severe
    >tolerance problems.

    Just to clarify, in the above I meant that I inspected a Craig and a Forster manufactured Super
    Link side-by-side. Your response sounds like a comparison of a SRAM PowerLink with a Craig/Forster
    Super Link.

  15. I reported:

    John Everett wrote:

    > Sheldon, you disappoint me. There IS a difference. The Super Link (two words) is now manufactured
    > by Forster Tool & Manufacturing, 1001 Fairway Drive, Bensonville, IL 60106
    > (http://forstertool.com). From close side-by-side inspection with a magnifying glass it is
    > indistinguishable from those manufactured by Craig.
    >
    > The big difference, the Powerlink can only be released by squeezing the sideplates together and
    > then sliding the pins toward each other.

    I've considered this to be an improvement, making the link slightly more secure.

    > Sometimes grit makes this almost impossible, thus people often have to resort to Channellocks to
    > force them apart. The Super Link just slides apart with little effort required, at least that's
    > been my experience.

    I've never had occasion to take either type apart in a location where I didn't have a pair of pliers
    ready at hand.

    I do not consider this to be an "important" difference, just a minor detail. Both are excellent
    products, both give good service, and both work basically the same way.

    Sheldon "Sorry To Disappoint" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    | Pohl's law: Nothing is so good that somebody, | somewhere, will not hate it. |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  16. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... We tried
    > > IRD but it skips on the 11t, we are 'trying' the Connex one but don't
    have
    > good
    > > feedback.

    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I hesitate to proffer this (as grasshopper said to the master) but I had exactly the same problem
    > and my lbs guy said the side the 10sp chain links are laid on is critical - there is a sharp
    > (deeper) cut side of the link which must be on the outside when the chain goes round the cassette
    > - ie shallow cut side addresses the cluster.
    >
    > After that no more skipping on the 11 - but you probably knew that...

    Glad you brought that up. I had also read something like that about Wippermann snaplinks and it
    remained in the back of my head. And I repeated it on the telephone one afternoon to a customer who
    was in the throes of derailleur hell .

    He paused for a moment and pointed out that one side of the link must necessarily be mirror image to
    the other. So if you consider rivet to the front for example, the _inside_ plate will be rivet to
    the rear. Always. So you can't choose any orientation of a snaplink without choosing the inverse on
    the other half of that link.

    So what was it that we read which started us down this path?