Cramp - Does anyone have any tips on how to stop it?

mac_220

Nov 14, 2003
Hi All,

Recently, when i've been putting the pedal on the gas for a spint or big effort on the climbs i've started to feel a twing of cramp in my hamstrings and calf's. Tonight i joined the bash ride, i've not been doing very much high intensity work. Anyway towards the end there were a couple of climbs i felt the twings coming. On the final spint i went for the sign, we hit about 40Mph and then bank both my calfs just cramped up very badly.

Does anyone have any reasons why this may happen and recommendations as how to stop this from happening.

Regards,

Mac

Hey Mac,

Check out this site: http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=HOME

Cramps threatened to end my riding. I tried extra hydration (with water) and still wound up with cramps, and over-hydrated to boot.

Certain sports drinks helped, but the cramps would still come occasionally.

I found these guys, tested the E-caps on myself, and confirmed that they work.

Good Luck,

Steve

My 2 cents is guessing a Vitamin D or mineral imbalance.

Try drinking milk.
I never get cramps while riding, it's usually hours afterward if i get them at all. But as soon as i do notice the onset of some potential cramping, i start drinking milk and it always works for me.

Have also tried vitamin D & E suppliments and nothing has worked as well as milk.
Before you spend money on fancy suppliments, try milk. Post how it goes!

The conventional wisdom is that it's dehydration. I think that dehydration simply is often the trigger. I believe the real cause is an electrolyte imbalance across the cell walls. Of course, dehydration will bring this on, but so will diuretics. I finally found after a year, that caffeine was causing my cramps. It's like clockwork now. If I have caffeine, I cramp, no caffeine, no problems.
So try cutting out caffeine.

mac_220 said:
Hi All,

Recently, when i've been putting the pedal on the gas for a spint or big effort on the climbs i've started to feel a twing of cramp in my hamstrings and calf's. Tonight i joined the bash ride, i've not been doing very much high intensity work. Anyway towards the end there were a couple of climbs i felt the twings coming. On the final spint i went for the sign, we hit about 40Mph and then bank both my calfs just cramped up very badly.

Does anyone have any reasons why this may happen and recommendations as how to stop this from happening.

Regards,

Mac
Drink 2-3 litres of water a day. Make it part of your daily routine. Warm up by doing say a 10km (6 mile) ride before a race and make sure you stretch your muscles after the 10 km warm up. Oh and dont forget to warm down after the race or exertion. Some guys live at the top of some big hills and will go for a ride of say 60 miles and finish of the ride at the top of the hill and not warm down. The warm down period allows your body time to remove a lot of built up lactic which i think can cause cramps. Make sure you also spend 10 minutes stretching after you shower maybe while your watching television or something.

Good luck