cramp in Calf during Time-Trial **HELP**

clonsingle

May 30, 2005
Hi Guys,

I was in the last 2KM of a 16K TT last evening when my right calf went into serious cramp. I had to stop and get off the bike. I went straight home and iced it straight away. It's still sore now but not too bad.
I do a 16KM TT every thursday evening and never had this problem before.
The only think I did different this week was to road race wednesday evening - this race included a 6KM climb.

I have a triathlon tomorrow and I'm very worried about getting a cramp again on the bike.

Anyone got any preventions/cure tips?
I didnt use any gel before/during the TT but I did have a 500ml sports drink just before.

This is going to be in the back of my head during the Triathlon tomorrow:( :( :(

Eat tomatoes before and a Banana during the ride. Keep electrolytes up during the ride. Check your cadence is not too low, sudden power outbursts will give cramps, power up gradually.

I had similar problems in the pool for 12 months when training with fins.

clonsingle said:
Hi Guys,

I was in the last 2KM of a 16K TT last evening when my right calf went into serious cramp. I had to stop and get off the bike. I went straight home and iced it straight away. It's still sore now but not too bad.
I do a 16KM TT every thursday evening and never had this problem before.
The only think I did different this week was to road race wednesday evening - this race included a 6KM climb.

I have a triathlon tomorrow and I'm very worried about getting a cramp again on the bike.

Anyone got any preventions/cure tips?
I didnt use any gel before/during the TT but I did have a 500ml sports drink just before.

This is going to be in the back of my head during the Triathlon tomorrow:( :( :(

Get some training serious miles in. ;)

gclark8 said:
Eat tomatoes before and a Banana during the ride. Keep electrolytes up during the ride. Check your cadence is not too low, sudden power outbursts will give cramps, power up gradually.

I had similar problems in the pool for 12 months when training with fins.

Eating during 16km TT? Whatever next? :rolleyes:

Get some serious training miles in your legs. :)

Off the top of my head the cramp may be caused by just a slightly too high saddle or being overtrained/overreached. Myself I ride with a high saddle during a TT because I can develop more power, but if I ride too long like this my calves cramp up. I lower the saddle for road races, which is much more comfortable. Just so you know I've done about 10 time trials and 6 road races so far, I've got the saddle height thing down but am still trying to find an optimal aerodynamic position for TT's.

-bikeguy

Thanks for the reply Bikeguy. I have been training continuously since October 05 and road racing since last april. The first time I got a cramp is when I did my first TT of the year with tri-bars fitted to my road bike (about 2 months ago).

I did a road race last evening and again I suffered from cramp (that caused me to pull up).

I have been tinkering with my saddle height/position to try to get optimum power during a TT.

Looks like the cramps may be caused by saddle height/position and dehydration.

I have a TT this evening and a little salt is going into my water…

Hopefully I can clear up this cramp issue, there is nothing worse that feeling strong in a race/TT and have to pull up because of cramp

My understanding is that cramps are caused by an electrolyte imbalance. Dehydration often brings on the imbalance, but isn't the direct cause.

Ensure you are well hydrated and that you get enough potassium. Sodium is usually more than plentiful in everyone's diet. Calcium is also an electrolyte. If you don't get enough calcium try adding that in too.

It could very well be that a new saddle position triggered it, but it can only be the final straw...the electrolyte imbalance must be there.

I'm baffled by this myself as I seem to go through weeks at a time where I wake up in the middle of the night to monstrous cramps in my calves. I have to jump out of bed and stand. I'm regularly sore and bruised from this and believe that torn muscles aren't far off...that's how severe they are.

After a couple of years of this happening off and on, I just might have noticed that the problem correlates to one of my supplements (non electrolyte by the way). I went on vacation and stopped taking all supps for a week and the problem went away.

Now I just need to experiment with them one at a time to find out the culprit.

Good luck to you and keep plugging away.