Cramp in outer shell of calf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shane McDaniel

On my past three rides I've noticed something new and annoying. Basically after riding for a little
bit, my calf starts to act like it is going to cramp up, but it doesn't. The odd this is that this
is the outermost muscle on my calf, the one the covers the calf, not the inner one where almost all
my other normal cramps occur. So after riding a little bit this muscle starts contracting on each
peddle cycle, each contraction is a little worse than the previous and they feel like at some point
the whole muscle is going to crampp up, I haven't let it actually do so though. On the past 3 rides
it has occured later in the ride each time, and it is also in my dominant leg.

Does this sound like any problem in particular? I've only rode about 750 miles but have never had
this problem before. Do I just need to stretch more? I haven't been drinking a lot of water lately,
which a friend suggested could be it. Any clues, it's really annoying me as it just kills a ride.

-shane

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> On my past three rides I've noticed something new and annoying. Basically after riding for a
> little bit, my calf starts to act like it is going to cramp up, but it doesn't. The odd this is
> that this is the outermost muscle on my calf, the one the covers the calf, not the inner one where
> almost all my other normal cramps occur. So after riding a little bit this muscle starts
> contracting on each peddle cycle, each contraction is a little worse than the previous and they
> feel like at some point the whole muscle is going to crampp up, I haven't let it actually do so
> though. On the past 3 rides it has occured later in the ride each time, and it is also in my
> dominant leg.
>
> Does this sound like any problem in particular? I've only rode about 750 miles but have never
> had this problem before. Do I just need to stretch more? I haven't been drinking a lot of water
> lately, which a friend suggested could be it. Any clues, it's really annoying me as it just
> kills a ride.

Dehydration and loss of electrolytes, especially potassium and sodium will contribute to cramps, so
he may have a point.

--
David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

I had the same problem, actually started after I tried to kill myself on an elliptical trainer and
the next day climbed one of my biggest hills ever on the bike. Stretching gently with your forefoot
on a 3 or 4 inch step, slowly adding pressure until the tight feeling eases for 2 or 3 minutes three
times a day for 3 days ended it. I also made sure to stand on pedals and let heel stretch to
pavement on rides helped tremendously. "archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >
> > On my past three rides I've noticed something new and annoying. Basically after riding for a
> > little bit, my calf starts to act like it is going to cramp up, but it doesn't. The odd this is
> > that this is the outermost muscle on my calf, the one the covers the calf, not the inner one
> > where almost all my other normal cramps occur. So after riding a little bit this muscle starts
> > contracting on each peddle cycle, each contraction is a little worse than the previous and they
> > feel like at some point the whole muscle is going to crampp up, I haven't let it actually do so
> > though. On the past 3 rides it has occured later in the ride each time, and it is also in my
> > dominant leg.
> >
> > Does this sound like any problem in particular? I've only rode about 750 miles but have never
> > had this problem before. Do I just need to stretch more? I haven't been drinking a lot of water
> > lately, which a friend suggested could be it. Any clues, it's really annoying me as it just
> > kills a ride.
>
> Dehydration and loss of electrolytes, especially potassium and sodium will contribute to cramps,
> so he may have a point.
>
>
> --
> David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
> morning".
>
> Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.