Cramped Arches - Problem Solved

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rob Rudeski, Apr 4, 2003.

  1. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Hi All,

    Previously I had written seeking your advice on how to solve my problem of my arches cramping when I
    rode. Your advice was to get some clipless pedals and cycling shoes. I followed your advice, and on
    my first ride, which was equal in time and distance to the longest ride I'd made prior to the new
    shoes and pedals, was entirely without cramped arches. So a heartfelt thanks goes out to the group
    for that advice.

    Now, another question.

    The shoes I got are Specialized Sonoma's and the pedals are Speedplay Frogs. I am quite pleased with
    both so far. I'm working on clipping in and releasing, and am having the expected difficulties in
    perfecting the processes. The clipping in will come with practice, but the clipping out is the
    subject of my question. At what point in the stroke do you folks clip out?

    I am finding that it's easiest to clip out when my leg is extended. The problem with this is
    that as soon as the pressure is of my extended foot is removed, my other foot, which is at the
    top of the power stroke, shoots forward and destabilizes my balance. The first time, I almost
    wrecked. Subsequent attempts were less dramatic, but the loss of stability was there to some
    extent each time.

    The obvious answer is to unclip at the top of the power stroke, and because my other foot is
    extended, there should be no drastic change in body geometry and the stability of my balance would
    remain steady. However, I am having some difficulty unclipping when my foot is at the top of the
    stroke. Does any else have this problem? Did anyone else have it when they were starting out? If so,
    how did you overcome it? Or will these problems all go away with practice and experience?

    Thanks in advance for your patience and advice.

    --
    Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

    Tags:

  2. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,

    -snip-

    > Now, another question.
    >
    > The shoes I got are Specialized Sonoma's and the pedals are Speedplay
    Frogs.
    > I am quite pleased with both so far. I'm working on clipping in and releasing, and am having the
    > expected difficulties in perfecting the processes. The clipping in will come with practice, but
    > the clipping out
    is
    > the subject of my question. At what point in the stroke do you folks clip out?
    >
    > I am finding that it's easiest to clip out when my leg is extended. The problem with this is that
    > as soon as the pressure is of my extended foot
    is
    > removed, my other foot, which is at the top of the power stroke, shoots forward and destabilizes
    > my balance. The first time, I almost wrecked. Subsequent attempts were less dramatic, but the loss
    > of stability was
    there
    > to some extent each time.
    >
    > The obvious answer is to unclip at the top of the power stroke, and
    because
    > my other foot is extended, there should be no drastic change in body geometry and the stability of
    > my balance would remain steady. However, I
    am
    > having some difficulty unclipping when my foot is at the top of the
    stroke.
    > Does any else have this problem? Did anyone else have it when they were starting out? If so, how
    > did you overcome it? Or will these problems all
    go
    > away with practice and experience?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your patience and advice.
    >
    > --
    > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

    Stop pushing on the other pedal when you unclip! You'll get the hang of it.

    I too use Frogs, and I can't unclip during certain portions of the pedal stroke, due to interference
    with my toe and the crank arm. I have gotten so I can unclip, reposition my foot so the pedal is
    under the arch, and keep pedaling without hardly losing any power or rhythm (necessary for commuting
    on crowded Silicon Valley streets). The Frogs have been on my bike for almost 4000 miles now, and I
    don't even think about clipping in or out. Just happens like second nature.

    Be patient, it'll come.

    <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

  3. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    Sounds like you need to adjust the pedal to release easier. You want it as easy as possible to get
    out, without coming out when peddling hard. takes a few adjustments to get it just right for each
    individual.

  4. Philbert

    Philbert Guest

    I've never used Frogs, so I can't comment on them, but when I made the switch to SPDs, I made a
    point of practicing clicking out all over over the range of motion - It's made a difference on a
    couple of occasions when I had to bail out quickly...

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Previously I had written seeking your advice on how to solve my problem of my arches cramping when
    > I rode. Your advice was to get some clipless
    pedals
    > and cycling shoes. I followed your advice, and on my first ride, which was equal in time and
    > distance to the longest ride I'd made prior to the new shoes and pedals, was entirely without
    > cramped arches. So a heartfelt
    thanks
    > goes out to the group for that advice.
    >
    > Now, another question.
    >
    > The shoes I got are Specialized Sonoma's and the pedals are Speedplay
    Frogs.
    > I am quite pleased with both so far. I'm working on clipping in and releasing, and am having the
    > expected difficulties in perfecting the processes. The clipping in will come with practice, but
    > the clipping out
    is
    > the subject of my question. At what point in the stroke do you folks clip out?
    >
    > I am finding that it's easiest to clip out when my leg is extended. The problem with this is that
    > as soon as the pressure is of my extended foot
    is
    > removed, my other foot, which is at the top of the power stroke, shoots forward and destabilizes
    > my balance. The first time, I almost wrecked. Subsequent attempts were less dramatic, but the loss
    > of stability was
    there
    > to some extent each time.
    >
    > The obvious answer is to unclip at the top of the power stroke, and
    because
    > my other foot is extended, there should be no drastic change in body geometry and the stability of
    > my balance would remain steady. However, I
    am
    > having some difficulty unclipping when my foot is at the top of the
    stroke.
    > Does any else have this problem? Did anyone else have it when they were starting out? If so, how
    > did you overcome it? Or will these problems all
    go
    > away with practice and experience?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your patience and advice.
    >
    > --
    > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

  5. Mark Helmus

    Mark Helmus Guest

    MLB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sounds like you need to adjust the pedal to release easier. You want it as easy as possible to get
    > out, without coming out when peddling hard. takes a few adjustments to get it just right for each
    > individual.

    it is normal not to be able to unclip at top of stroke--your knee isn't designed to twist at that
    point. there are no pedal adjustment! push in to clip twist outward to unclip. happy pedaling.