Cramping, but I already drink heaps of water!

Sando

Jun 22, 2006
I keep getting cramps after riding on hot days. I know it's not dehydration as I drink plenty (yes plenty) of water - usually over 2 liters a day and only ride for an hour. I also drink a bottle of Gatorade each day.

I don't get them as soon as I finish riding but later at night when I'm stretching.

I commute to work, about 27km round drip, 5 days a week...

Any help would be greaty appreciated!:confused:

Thanks

If I'm recalling right Gatorade (especially the original formula) has lots of sodium, but not much else. Try something that has some of the other salts - potassium, magnesium etc. and be careful you are not drinking too much plain water thereby flushing all of your electrolytes right out of your system.

If you need something with electrolytes, but don't want the carbs or the sugar you can get something like Nuun or Ecaps.

Sando said:
I keep getting cramps after riding on hot days. I know it's not dehydration as I drink plenty (yes plenty) of water - usually over 2 liters a day and only ride for an hour. I also drink a bottle of Gatorade each day.

I don't get them as soon as I finish riding but later at night when I'm stretching.

I commute to work, about 27km round drip, 5 days a week...

Any help would be greaty appreciated!:confused:

Thanks
Bananas are loaded with potassium; you might try adding one or two to your daily diet.