cramps and magnesium

damyth

Guest
What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.

All the info I've gathered indicates that magnesium acts as a laxative
(although I'm not sure at what dose, might be way more than RDA for
this purpose). Should one be concerned about the potential discomfort
(and inappropriate bathroom breaks) that one might get if one were to
take magnesium supplements before or during a ride?

"damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
> longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
> some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
> other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
> it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.
>
> All the info I've gathered indicates that magnesium acts as a laxative
> (although I'm not sure at what dose, might be way more than RDA for
> this purpose). Should one be concerned about the potential discomfort
> (and inappropriate bathroom breaks) that one might get if one were to
> take magnesium supplements before or during a ride?

You don't need large dosages of magnesium but it is contained in the
electrolytes that you sweat out.

Here's a web site that lists food that are high in magnesium. Also most
nuts contain magnesium:

http://www.whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=75

This is not a testimonial on this website, just a list of foods....

Try vitamin E. It's helped me with leg cramps. Also calcium.

Chas.

"damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
> longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
> some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
> other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
> it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.
>
> All the info I've gathered indicates that magnesium acts as a laxative
> (although I'm not sure at what dose, might be way more than RDA for
> this purpose). Should one be concerned about the potential discomfort
> (and inappropriate bathroom breaks) that one might get if one were to
> take magnesium supplements before or during a ride?

Of course conditioning and nutrition plays an important role for cramps
when cycling. It doesn't happen very often to me, but when I feel a cramp
coming on while cycling, I immediately start to slow it down. Ride at
a pace and gear that I can work the cramp out. I don't push it, especially
on the climbs and I also don't stop riding, unitl I feel I have work out the
cramp. Usually I can work them out.
-tom

damyth wrote:
> What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
> longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
> some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
> other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
> it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.
>
> All the info I've gathered indicates that magnesium acts as a laxative
> (although I'm not sure at what dose, might be way more than RDA for
> this purpose). Should one be concerned about the potential discomfort
> (and inappropriate bathroom breaks) that one might get if one were to
> take magnesium supplements before or during a ride?

I'm cramp prone, too. I've tried all of the suggested cures & done a lot
of reading. I've come to the conclusion that cramps are just a symptom
of fatigue, and the only cure for the cramp prone is more miles to build
endurance. On very long rides, I try to be careful about peak exertion,
I try to avoid any muscle "burn" when climbing, for instance. If I go
too hard, I'll start cramping early.

Often the worst cramps I get are after the ride, sometimes keeping me up
half the night. I've found massage much more effective than stretching
once cramps start. Now I massage my legs as hard as I can for at least
an hour after long rides (tough when your hands are cramping as well).
The other thing that seems to be important is keeping the muscles warm.
I'll go so far as to sleep in sweat pants after a long ride, even if
it's warm.

I use "Tums" its the calcium that I need to stop leg cramps. 4-5 at a time
and then at the same night. Bill
"damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
> longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
> some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
> other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
> it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.
>
> All the info I've gathered indicates that magnesium acts as a laxative
> (although I'm not sure at what dose, might be way more than RDA for
> this purpose). Should one be concerned about the potential discomfort
> (and inappropriate bathroom breaks) that one might get if one were to
> take magnesium supplements before or during a ride?

"damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
> longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
> some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
> other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
> it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.
>
> All the info I've gathered indicates that magnesium acts as a laxative
> (although I'm not sure at what dose, might be way more than RDA for
> this purpose). Should one be concerned about the potential discomfort
> (and inappropriate bathroom breaks) that one might get if one were to
> take magnesium supplements before or during a ride?

And to tie this to another thread, if you ride a Kent you can just gnaw on
the top tube!
Kerry

"damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
> longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
> some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
> other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
> it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.

Nothing's ever worked for me except training more. Usually after I get a
few rides in at a certain time/distance the subsequent rides at that
distance are cramp-free.

Greg
--
Ticketbastard tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

I second that. Vitamins and mineral supplements don't have much of an
effect when compared to training more. Alternatively, if you don't have the
time to train more, ride a bit slower than you want.

-Dion

> "damyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
>> longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
>> some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
>> other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
>> it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.

> Nothing's ever worked for me except training more. Usually after I get a
> few rides in at a certain time/distance the subsequent rides at that
> distance are cramp-free.
>
> Greg

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:25:26 -0700, damyth
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
>longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
>some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
>other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
>it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.
>
>All the info I've gathered indicates that magnesium acts as a laxative
>(although I'm not sure at what dose, might be way more than RDA for
>this purpose). Should one be concerned about the potential discomfort
>(and inappropriate bathroom breaks) that one might get if one were to
>take magnesium supplements before or during a ride?

Fairly recent article on cramping in Velonews:

http://velonews.com/train/articles/12039.0.html

On Jul 2, 3:11 pm, "Chas"? wrote:
> ...Also most nuts contain magnesium...

Speak for yourself! ;)

damyth <[email protected]> wrote:

> What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
> longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
> some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
> other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
> it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.

Tums. Chew a couple at the first sign of cramps. The calcium helps.

On Jul 2, 10:07 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> damyth <[email protected]> wrote:
> > What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
> > longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
> > some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
> > other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
> > it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.

> Tums. Chew a couple at the first sign of cramps. The calcium helps.

I have not had trouble with cramps since I started taking a couple
potassium tablets every day. Before that they would wake me at night
after a long ride.
Bill

wrote:

>What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
>longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
>some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
>other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
>it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.
>
>All the info I've gathered indicates that magnesium acts as a laxative
>(although I'm not sure at what dose, might be way more than RDA for
>this purpose). Should one be concerned about the potential discomfort
>(and inappropriate bathroom breaks) that one might get if one were to
>take magnesium supplements before or during a ride?

A lack of any or all of the electrolytes can promote cramping. For me using some
salt substitute as a potassium supplement works well. The magnesium that you
might use would be a lot less than a laxative dose.

Ron

The main issue with cramping is replacing electrolyes lost through
sweat. I've found Gatorade to be helpful in eliminating cramping on
longer rides. The key is not to wait until you start feeling the
effects of dehydration to start with the electrolyte replacement. On
two-bottle middling rides I usually start out with Gatorade and finish
with plain water. Also, I've never tried it, but their endurance
formula has a small amount of added magnesium and higher sodium (2x)
and potassium (3x) content than the regular kind.

http://thestick.com/ allows you to massage key muscles yourself.

damyth <[email protected]> writes:

> What's a good supplement for (calf & thigh) cramps that occurs on
> longer rides? I've heard that magnesium supplements seem to work for
> some people. I think I've tried virtually everything (stretching,
> other electrolytes/supplements, pickle juice, training more, you name
> it, nothing has worked so far) but this for cramps.
>
> All the info I've gathered indicates that magnesium acts as a laxative
> (although I'm not sure at what dose, might be way more than RDA for
> this purpose). Should one be concerned about the potential discomfort
> (and inappropriate bathroom breaks) that one might get if one were to
> take magnesium supplements before or during a ride?

Recently Chas wrote a great summation of his woes and research and
knowledge. I had similar horrible leg cramps during several years
during which I was building up my cycling fitness (wake up every night
literally screaming, e.g.; I think on a level with the pain of
childbirth), and still have pretty bad ones, but they got a LOT better
when I started using hammernutrition.com's "endurolytes", and I reread
their info after Chas' post, and it seems, with the exception of the
absence of vit E from the Hammer product, to be in line with his soln.

Find his post, and read up all the info at Hammer. Order some of
their "endurolytes". Normally I put one of their small scoops heaping
in a 22 oz. waterbottle. I use it for strenuous steep Mtn hiking,
where my ankles can get nailed in hot weather (again waking up at
night). On the bike mainly it's the hamstrings on the inner thigh,
although I've finally developed a good technique where I know just how
to grab and hold the problem area till it eases to the point I'm able
to stand up and walk it off, making the boughts more tolerable for
those within earshot. I was doing some volunteer trail clearing work
in the local wilderness, handling a "Pulaski" to remove weeds, reshape
trails, and chop blowdown trees, and my arms were cramping up. I
don't know if us cramp-inclined suffer from some chemical imbalances,
or we just try harder.

Bill Westphal