Cramps in calf muscles?

allenpg

Jul 6, 2004
I've been plagued with calf cramps recently during a few crits and even during longer power sessions at tempo pace. I drink plenty of electrolytes (Gatorade) before and during my rides, so I don't know think electolytes might be the problem. I videotaped myself on the trainer and noticed that I pull through nearly all of my pedal stroke with my heel up, so I don't know if I'm working my calves more than I should.

Any ideas on what might be causing the cramps and suggestions on what to do?

I know there is the long post on this board talking about the use of calf muscles in cycling. As a long-time runner, interesting reading, but I didn't find it of much help for my situation.

Thanks for the advice!
-Pete

I have had cramps in the calves the last 2-3 weeks too. I am wondering if it is due to the change in season where I am doing 1-2 days indoors on an older bike on a trainer then switch to my better bike for rides outside on the days when it warms up. I get the cramps in the calves only on the outdoor rides when I am going pretty hard and wonder if it is due to switching back and forth between bikes and slightly different riding positions. Any similarities between my experience and yours?

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking it just might be high lactate levels building. It just developed around the time I got new pedals (Speedplays) to replace my old pedals (Speedplays). Plus, I have played around with my seat height with the new pedals.

Personally, I think it's mostly related to training intensity and a combination of my position/mechanics on the bike. It happens both indoors and out. Mostly only after more intense cycling. I'm new to road biking, and I just recently bumped up my mileage to about 200+ km per week. I'm doing to really work on stretching and get some massage. I used to have really bad calf cramps during hard running (used to wake up in the middle of the night screaming with cramps).

Know off to use http://www.thestick.com/.

-Pete

allenpg said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking it just might be high lactate levels building. It just developed around the time I got new pedals (Speedplays) to replace my old pedals (Speedplays). Plus, I have played around with my seat height with the new pedals.

Personally, I think it's mostly related to training intensity and a combination of my position/mechanics on the bike. It happens both indoors and out. Mostly only after more intense cycling. I'm new to road biking, and I just recently bumped up my mileage to about 200+ km per week. I'm doing to really work on stretching and get some massage. I used to have really bad calf cramps during hard running (used to wake up in the middle of the night screaming with cramps).

Know off to use http://www.thestick.com/.

-Pete

It's common to have calf cramp issues if your seat is too high. ...just one possible reason...

I know when I had this happen to me it was a sign that I was doing too much load and intensity. I would get cramps in the middle of the night as well....so painful. Not what a racer likes to hear but just my 2 cents.

"I drink plenty of electrolytes (Gatorade) before and during my rides"

Cramping is all about dehydration. In order to properly hydrate it takes 12-24hrs, if your **** isn't clear 1-2 days solid before a hard ride you're at serious risk of being dehydrated. Be sure you’re sodium & potassium intake is aggressive (not just Gatorade), eat bananas & salt up your food in the days proceeding. Stick to this and your cramps will be history!

A group of guys I know told me...

"If you don't have to ****, you're not drinking enough water"

Just to add another opinion.

I am also a cramper. When I am training and doing gym work on a regular basis I find I can make myself cramp at will (calf and foot) just by stretching that area (like a long yawn in bed in the morning will set off a foot cramp). I don't even get the cramps while excersising...I get them anytime day or night.

I read (cycling weekly) that it has something to do with potassium levels. So I went to my healthfood store to ask about that, and they said it is more often caused by magnesium defiencies, and recommended a sports drink - Endura (which has both Mg and K). They really put down drinks like Gatorade, saying the mineral content just didn't compare.

I have started putting Endura in one of my drink bottles whenever I ride (I don't bother about pre-ride dose, or post-ride doses). The cramps have now gone away...Just my two cents.