cramps stitch

no spam for me

Guest
One of my rides includes trail and road( I take paved roads to get ot the
trail) and I have been ramping up distance over the last few weeks and about
a week ago I was attacked by a killer cramp in my side while I was climbing
the major hill that I have on the ride....about 180' over a 1/3 of a mile on
pavement. I have since had this same problem about 5 more times to a lesser
extent and about the only thing that is different is that I have extended
the route by 5 miles. Any one have a good suggestion on avoiding this? I
am hitting the road on an empty stomach and keeping my liquid consumption on
the ride down..

"no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
> One of my rides includes trail and road( I take paved roads to get ot the
> trail) and I have been ramping up distance over the last few weeks and
> about
> a week ago I was attacked by a killer cramp in my side while I was
> climbing
> the major hill that I have on the ride....about 180' over a 1/3 of a mile
> on
> pavement. I have since had this same problem about 5 more times to a
> lesser
> extent and about the only thing that is different is that I have extended
> the route by 5 miles. Any one have a good suggestion on avoiding this? I
> am hitting the road on an empty stomach and keeping my liquid consumption
> on
> the ride down..

Cramps in your side are normally a lack of oxygen problem. Breathe deeper
and more. Make sure you're warmed up when you hit the hill. Might also be
lack of Potassium. the humble banana is a great hedge agains muscle cramps,
but YMMV.

CDB

"no spam for me" <no_ [email protected]> wrote in message
> One of my rides includes trail and road( I take paved roads to get ot the
> trail) and I have been ramping up distance over the last few weeks and
> about
> a week ago I was attacked by a killer cramp in my side while I was
> climbing
> the major hill that I have on the ride....about 180' over a 1/3 of a mile
> on
> pavement. I have since had this same problem about 5 more times to a
> lesser
> extent and about the only thing that is different is that I have extended
> the route by 5 miles. Any one have a good suggestion on avoiding this? I
> am hitting the road on an empty stomach and keeping my liquid consumption
> on
> the ride down..

Yup, lack of oxygen...a trick I learned as a running youngster was to purse
your lips together like you're whistling and pushing air out from the belly
area. You can also try breathing deeply, trying to fill your belly area
first and working upwards to the chest area. Usually works for me.
Drew

Thanks Pal and DP....I should have paid attention to my horoscope last
month...it said to practice my breathing exercises! I wonder if the high
humidity and Ozone had anything to do with it? We hare having some really
great weather here right now and no cramps....

I let ya know.